GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
The Spaniard wrote:MDG hasn't mentioned anything regarding the new album being released soon publicly. I think that if he was certain he would have said it publicly instead of privately to babylulu, or he would have notified @Fredd-E privately. Maybe what he meant by his PM to babylulu is that they are working on a new album and at some point it will be released. Maybe he has PMed the same message to other members in the past and they never disclosed this information.

One possibility is that he didn't want this to be leaked, but why would he tell babylulu and risk it in any case?
Another possibility is that he wanted this to be leaked, but why would he tell babylulu and assume they would leak it?
Has he contacted other users and they never shared they were told the album was going to be released soon?

As much as I want them to release a new LP, I believe that MDG would have been more open or vocal if he really believed an album would be coming soon or in 2023, but I don't know.

MDG probably just wanted to keep it on the down low. A private message being leaked is unlikely to cause a wave of excitement across the entire BoC fanbase, that's just something us Twoismers would latch on to. I think it's safe to say a new album is being worked on.

Will it be next year?
Uh, I hope so... Most artists turn around cycles for an album is roughly around 3 years. So to only have 2 albums in over 10 years is a bit alarming, I also really do hope for that reason that they have more than 1 album planned.

demo wrote:I think it's safe to say a new album is being worked on.
This. And eventually isn't this all that matters? Especially because many people on this forum amongst others were convinced TH was going to be their final album.

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:
demo wrote:I think it's safe to say a new album is being worked on.
This. And eventually isn't this all that matters? Especially because many people on this forum amongst others were convinced TH was going to be their final album.

Well I'd say the "what" and "when" matters just as much as the "if", we can all still discuss the "what is the album going to be" and "when are we going to get it", but maybe they're just not as exciting questions compared to "is the album even going to happen?"

I also think a lot of us say "this could be their final album" as solace, tempering our expectations just incase it is their last album in a way to not disappoint ourselves. In fact a lot of the people who still say they don't believe an album is coming likely say it in order to temper their expectations. It's safer to have low expectations and be surprised than it is to have high expectations and then be disappointed.

Eagle Minded
people forget that "if" and "when" are often interchangeable at the beginning of the same questions.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Eagle Minded
I think what's frustrating is that we are running out of reasons for the "delay." Record production is caught up now, right? There are no other reasons for production delay, right? We've exhausted the pioneer plaque dates, right? Makes me wonder if they scrapped a previous ARG and planned a new one, for whatever reason.

Boqurant
Davism wrote:I think what's frustrating is that we are running out of reasons for the "delay." Record production is caught up now, right? There are no other reasons for production delay, right? We've exhausted the pioneer plaque dates, right? Makes me wonder if they scrapped a previous ARG and planned a new one, for whatever reason.

Well a reason might be that it isn’t finished yet, at least not to their satisfaction. These guys are perfectionists.

Eagle Minded
Davism wrote:We've exhausted the pioneer plaque dates, right?

You assume they were ever planning on following those.

Eagle Minded
All we've got left is an "After ten years of silence, Boards of Canada return with their fifth LP" approach.

Dayvan Cowboy
Is anyone a fan of the novelist Cormac McCarthy? I feel like his approach to his work is very similar to BOC. He hadn't released a book since his Pulitzer-winning novel The Road back in 2007 or so, he doesn't do interviews (only a scant few) and he doesn't communicate with his fanbase. Then, out of the blue earlier this year, news released that he was releasing a novel called The Passenger. This was a book he had been rumored to be working on since the 1970's. But not just that... a 2nd book that is heavily linked to the first would come out a month later. It blew everyone away but in that time between The Road and these new ones, very similar conversations as in this thread were happening.

Point being, some artists don't have a logical reason (to us, at least) why it takes them so long to release things, but that's just the way they handle their work. Some artists truly don't take into account what we think or want because it's not important to them and their work. I think we see that on display with BOC.

So, the moral of the story is, cherish what they have released and be patient for what they have yet to release. Anything else is just conjecture and unneeded worry.

Eagle Minded
Ya know.... I kinda get why BoC might decide to just make music for themselves and then decide to never release it to the public. I have been listening to my unreleased album all week. This period before I decide to release it, where I can just spend time with the album all on my own and be my own audience. it's fun, it feels kinda special, and hard to describe. I don't even know why I'm releasing it to be honest, I guess because some people sometimes ask me "can I listen to your music?" whenever I tell them I make stuff. But also it does feel like a totem, something I can point to and say "this was me" and then walk away from. On the off chance someone else might enjoy it, ill release it. But I see no reason why I couldn't decide to be selfish and just keep the album for my own enjoyment.

Anyway, didn't meant to get personal, not at all using this as a way to promote the thing, but I thought it might be worthwhile food for thought to share, a way to understand why BoC may keep many of their albums unreleased and personal.

Dayvan Cowboy
If music be the food of love, then BoC spend an awful long time heating it in the oven. :wink:

Eagle Minded
Yeah Biz, I realize they most likely weren't following the PP dates. Just going down the checklist of all the possibilities we've conjured up.

Ryetronics, I'm with you, but there have been some many rumors (via reddit and here) that has lead to a lot of smoke, MDG being the latest and most important. I'd say there is reason to anticipate a new album sooner than later and I'd be surprised if nothing drops in the next year or so.

demo, I'm a painter and I believe it's very important for artists to have the prerogative to create work under the premise that it will never be shown to the public; the opportunity to experiment and make "bad" work free of outside criticism is necessary for growth.... that said, it's selfish to decide to never share again. Art/creation is meant to be a shared experience.

Sherbet Head
ryetronics wrote:Is anyone a fan of the novelist Cormac McCarthy? I feel like his approach to his work is very similar to BOC. He hadn't released a book since his Pulitzer-winning novel The Road back in 2007 or so, he doesn't do interviews (only a scant few) and he doesn't communicate with his fanbase. Then, out of the blue earlier this year, news released that he was releasing a novel called The Passenger. This was a book he had been rumored to be working on since the 1970's. But not just that... a 2nd book that is heavily linked to the first would come out a month later. It blew everyone away but in that time between The Road and these new ones, very similar conversations as in this thread were happening.

Point being, some artists don't have a logical reason (to us, at least) why it takes them so long to release things, but that's just the way they handle their work. Some artists truly don't take into account what we think or want because it's not important to them and their work. I think we see that on display with BOC.

So, the moral of the story is, cherish what they have released and be patient for what they have yet to release. Anything else is just conjecture and unneeded worry.

Yes, I definitely see the similarities. As a Cormac McCarthy fan, this has been an amazing year. Two new (excellent) novels and even a couple of interviews. And yeah, like BoC, McCarthy doesn't give a damn what his audience is expecting or what other novelists are doing to stay relevant. He just writes, hangs out with scientists -- not other writers -- and puts his work out when he feels it's ready. Sixteen years passed between The Road and The Passenger, so yeah, McCarthy fans are a patient lot. Hopefully, us BoC fans will have our patience rewarded soon.

Dayvan Cowboy
ryetronics wrote:Is anyone a fan of the novelist Cormac McCarthy? I feel like his approach to his work is very similar to BOC. He hadn't released a book since his Pulitzer-winning novel The Road back in 2007 or so, he doesn't do interviews (only a scant few) and he doesn't communicate with his fanbase. Then, out of the blue earlier this year, news released that he was releasing a novel called The Passenger. This was a book he had been rumored to be working on since the 1970's. But not just that... a 2nd book that is heavily linked to the first would come out a month later. It blew everyone away but in that time between The Road and these new ones, very similar conversations as in this thread were happening.

I honestly agree with this so much. We might end up getting more than we bargained for when they come back. This might be a new phase in their career where they start being open again in interviews and releasing stuff from the vaults and all that kind of stuff.

We do know that something is coming at least and that should be solace in itself for people who treat them as their favorite band.

And to add another anecdote, the non IDMer ex Genesis member, Peter Gabriel is finally releasing an album he had been telling us about for 20 years! His last album, Up was in 2002!
Imagine being told to sit tight since 2003. As someone who got into progressive rock through Genesis, this is almost as big to me as BOC and the sample of the new album he released sounds great.

I think we can handle ten years for sure!
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:And to add another anecdote, the non IDMer ex Genesis member, Peter Gabriel is finally releasing an album he had been telling us about for 20 years! His last album, Up was in 2002!
Imagine being told to sit tight since 2003. As someone who got into progressive rock through Genesis, this is almost as big to me as BOC and the sample of the new album he released sounds great.

I think we can handle ten years for sure!

Word for word, on the new Gabriel record! Glad to hear some 'input' about his 'output' here. :lol:

Boqurant
Davism wrote:I think what's frustrating is that we are running out of reasons for the "delay." Record production is caught up now, right? There are no other reasons for production delay, right? We've exhausted the pioneer plaque dates, right? Makes me wonder if they scrapped a previous ARG and planned a new one, for whatever reason.

Everytime someone posts here they keep delaying by 1 week :twisted:

But in all seriousness, imo i think they got anxious by TH poor reception and are trying to make a perfect album that not one wouldn't be happy with. (i don't mean that in the sense that they are making music that can only appeal to what be like, eg making a music has the right to children clone, but that whatever they are doing needs to be absolutly flawless)

I hope they don't tumble into dev hell...
"Boc is probably in the future thinking about the past" - Sean Booth 05/06/2022

https://maschtob.bandcamp.com/album/the-9th-sacred-camp

Eagle Minded
μasch wrote:
Davism wrote:imo i think they got anxious by TH poor reception and are trying to make a perfect album that not one wouldn't be happy with.

Genuinely, I don't think they give a f**k about what anyone thinks about their music but them. Anything else is a bonus.

Posts Quantity
hexagonFox wrote:HI

Any one else seen this channel.
Could be troll?

https://www.youtube.com/@angelapollyon3610/

Reminds me of our beloved

https://www.youtube.com/@AtalantaFugiens/

best,

Xofnogoxeh

All videos of Angel Apollyon are now privated and in about section there is this link:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050213235 ... onsun.com/

Sherbet Head
Enough fake news

Eagle Minded
Real news is sad

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada