GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
MindElevation wrote:
Spirit Fingers wrote:Hey all, I usually just lurk round these parts, but I stumbled upon this on twitter, thought it was interesting-ish..

Richard Littler @richard_littler

It's a Boards of Canada kind of day. Will we ever see a new album from them?

Ian McQue @ianmcque

@richard_littler 'later this year' according to a mate of mine who knows them...

He's from Edinburgh, if that adds any creedence! I know these things are usually BS, but at this point I'll take anything I can get..

EDIT: https://twitter.com/ianmcque/status/323047609709248512

interesting!

hmm
whooosh

Dayvan Cowboy
haven't you guys considered the likely possibility that since we, their biggest consolidated fanbase, can't even find legitimate information regarding any of the bro's future releases, that all the extraneous reports of "people who know people who mentioned a new album coming this year" are simply hearing echoes from this very message board?

imagine:
member-joe on this board tells friend-bob who is a bartender. friend-bob then tells 15 patrons one night about a possible new album. one of them is drunk-sam. drunk-sam then tells fanboy-frank, a twoism member.... fanboy-frank, assuming drunk-sam has separate/new information, spews on twoism about it. recycled and regurgitated, forever.

with the peter serafanowicz rumor last year reaching so many people, this kind of thing coming full circle back here is probably even more likely imo.

Dayvan Cowboy
zeitgeist wrote:haven't you guys considered the likely possibility that since we, their biggest consolidated fanbase, can't even find legitimate information regarding any of the bro's future releases, that all the extraneous reports of "people who know people who mentioned a new album coming this year" are simply hearing echoes from this very message board?

imagine:
member-joe on this board tells friend-bob who is a bartender. friend-bob then tells 15 patrons one night about a possible new album. one of them is drunk-sam. drunk-sam then tells fanboy-frank, a twoism member.... fanboy-frank, assuming drunk-sam has separate/new information, spews on twoism about it. recycled and regurgitated, forever.

with the peter serafanowicz rumor last year reaching so many people, this kind of thing coming full circle back here is probably even more likely imo.

I did think that with the original Serafinowicz thing actually, that he was quoting stuff he heard on here (as a fan, it makes sense he'd google up some fan forums to see if there's any info, no?) He never did clarify if he'd heard the rumour from us, WATMM or elsewhere.

I don't think people like Joyrex and this other guy on WATMM, who had info on Exai, are just picking up our transmissions though - other people may be.

Sherbet Head
MrMessiah wrote:
zeitgeist wrote:haven't you guys considered the likely possibility that since we, their biggest consolidated fanbase, can't even find legitimate information regarding any of the bro's future releases, that all the extraneous reports of "people who know people who mentioned a new album coming this year" are simply hearing echoes from this very message board?

imagine:

I did think that with the original Serafinowicz thing actually, that he was quoting stuff he heard on here (as a fan, it makes sense he'd google up some fan forums to see if there's any info, no?) He never did clarify if he'd heard the rumour from us, WATMM or elsewhere.

I don't think people like Joyrex and this other guy on WATMM, who had info on Exai, are just picking up our transmissions though - other people may be.

Joyrex 100% has information that we don't have access to

Dayvan Cowboy
Also there were like three other people who seem to have legitimate connections and or sources and have confirmed this in the past said something before joyrex did so I'd say there's some truth between the growing rumors and all.
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Sherbet Head
Although Joyrex gets slated on the BoC sub forum by his own members (mostly good banter), he's the first to admit he's as much in the dark as everyone else.

But I do believe him and Fred E will be way ahead of us mere mortals when something appears on the horizon.

I've always maintained he does a decent job on watmm by damping down what can sometimes be very lively (vitriolic) posts and threads, most of which get locked lol. Either way he's at times had to deal with a few warzones kicking off, its a bit more calmer over on these shores.

Sometimes Beerwolf thinks Joyrex should be on the payroll of Warp.

Sherbet Head
I don't care what anyone says. BoC posted "YES" to a question asking if there will be a new album. That is enough for me. And even though it has been a VERY long time, I still am patient and understanding of the time they need to take for this album. It is their work, not anyone else's. So, calm down, everyone. It'll happen eventually. Be patient, and hopeful. And never lose your love for the brothers and their genius.

Sherbet Head
Elephant Face wrote:Is this an authentic image?

http://three-friends-of-winter.tumblr.c ... 6895866082

And yes that is Warp 10th anniversary party I'm pretty sure? Correct me if I'm wrong someone...

Happy Cycler
Yellow Records wrote:I don't care what anyone says. BoC posted "YES" to a question asking if there will be a new album. That is enough for me. And even though it has been a VERY long time, I still am patient and understanding of the time they need to take for this album. It is their work, not anyone else's. So, calm down, everyone. It'll happen eventually. Be patient, and hopeful. And never lose your love for the brothers and their genius.

Not trying to discourage you, but technically they posted "yes" to whether or not there were rumors of a new album. :roll:
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
MindElevation wrote:
MrMessiah wrote:
zeitgeist wrote:...

Joyrex 100% has information that we don't have access to

I think Joyrex is a prick, but I will concede that there's a possibility he has extra info we don't based on his interactions with the band years ago. It's up to you whether to believe him this time around or not. I've only been on this board for 6 years, and he's pulled this stunt at least a dozen times I swear.

I guess my comments were more in reference to people like Peter Serafonowicz, like you said, he probably just googled BOC and came up with this very thread before he made his rumors statement.

Eagle Minded
Rodheh wrote:
Yellow Records wrote:I don't care what anyone says. BoC posted "YES" to a question asking if there will be a new album. That is enough for me. And even though it has been a VERY long time, I still am patient and understanding of the time they need to take for this album. It is their work, not anyone else's. So, calm down, everyone. It'll happen eventually. Be patient, and hopeful. And never lose your love for the brothers and their genius.

Not trying to discourage you, but technically they posted "yes" to whether or not there were rumors of a new album. :roll:

I'm not sure they technically said "yes" to whether there were rumors. I'd say that techincally it could go either way. "Any truth to this?" .... "this" could be referring to the literal statement there are rumors or to the content of the rumors. Neither is technically correct from the rules of English alone. Obviously the person asking meant the latter, and obviously BoC new what he meant, but the technicality that it could be either is the source of the ambiguity. Either they were saying yes the way we want them to and just being brief and mysterious, or they were facetiously taking advantage of the technical ambiguity of interpretation of "this".
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Eagle Minded

Your use of logic and reason frightens and confuses me.

Sherbet Head
damn, 291 pages of this :?
they ain't no autechre are they
this better be good whatever, whenever it is

continued on page 292

Boqurant
I think Joyrex is a prick, but I will concede that there's a possibility he has extra info we don't based on his interactions with the band years ago. It's up to you whether to believe him this time around or not. I've only been on this board for 6 years, and he's pulled this stunt at least a dozen times I swear [/quote]

It's true, this has happened several years consecutively now. They only pop in to tell him to knock it off. Sad, because they participated in that video contest and supplied a prize and he thanks them by being a spoiled sad tit. There's even a post about Exai deflation over there, as if 22+ hours of new material and mixes aren't enough. I wish there was a way to keep the new release out of his pudgy little hands but what can you do. I have noticed that only relatively new users tend to fall for his nonsense, so maybe he benefits by acquiring new users/traffic as the hype builds. He hasn't had info for years. I wouldn't trust him to sit on a toilet the right way.

egbdf wrote:I'm not sure they technically said "yes" to whether there were rumors. I'd say that techincally it could go either way. "Any truth to this?" .... "this" could be referring to the literal statement there are rumors or to the content of the rumors. Neither is technically correct from the rules of English alone. Obviously the person asking meant the latter, and obviously BoC new what he meant, but the technicality that it could be either is the source of the ambiguity. Either they were saying yes the way we want them to and just being brief and mysterious, or they were facetiously taking advantage of the technical ambiguity of interpretation of "this".

Thanks for your insight. Finally someone with a sane mind.

Of course it is the bolded part. They are no idiots and obviously they perfectly knew what that person was asking. It's what all of us want to know. Them saying "yes" is just their brief way of confirming the forthcoming album. How on earth anyone can even begin to doubt that is way beyond me.

Happy Cycler
egbdf wrote:
Rodheh wrote:

I'm not sure they technically said "yes" to whether there were rumors. I'd say that techincally it could go either way. "Any truth to this?" .... "this" could be referring to the literal statement there are rumors or to the content of the rumors. Neither is technically correct from the rules of English alone. Obviously the person asking meant the latter, and obviously BoC new what he meant, but the technicality that it could be either is the source of the ambiguity. Either they were saying yes the way we want them to and just being brief and mysterious, or they were facetiously taking advantage of the technical ambiguity of interpretation of "this".

You mean "rife", right?

Regardless, I'm not really talking about the "rules of English". They responded to a question about rumors with absolutely no information whatsoever and then they redacted their post. I'm not sure how one can infer that "yes" means anything other than a literal answer to the question that was asked, which was "rumors of a new album are rife" or something of the like.

Fredd-E wrote:How on earth anyone can even begin to doubt that is way beyond me.

I have no doubt that there will be something new eventually, but it would seem to me ridiculous how "anyone can even begin to" take anything that Boards of Canada says about a new release with any sort of legitimacy at this point in time, now that we've been told year after year that a new album was coming soon.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Sherbet Head
yes, its true, the rumours were rife

Dayvan Cowboy
They know the fanbase ''hates'' them for not giving them info, I don't think they would fuck us over so bad by answering YES to that question, just to tease us. I don't think they would do that.

They knew exactly what the guy meant, and they knew exactly what question they were answering. Ofcourse, they answered YES to the question if the rumours were rife, but they knew the real question, and they responded to that.

Why the hell would they never post anything, but post yes to a dumb question like that? They knew, and they gave us some info.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Eagle Minded
Rodheh wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:How on earth anyone can even begin to doubt that is way beyond me.

I have no doubt that there will be something new eventually, but it would seem to me ridiculous how "anyone can even begin to" take anything that Boards of Canada says about a new release with any sort of legitimacy at this point in time, now that we've been told year after year that a new album was coming soon.

You're watching people access information through the filters of faith and belief. I haven't said much this round because there has been a little more smoke than usual (perhaps signalling a fire), but the logical lesson from years of this merry-go-round remains the same - take everything short of an official Warp announcement with a huge grain of salt.

If as usual another six months pass with no album you'll see that silence be twisted in a way that strengthens the core belief of an imminent release. It's a cognitive bias built on top of a strong emotional investment, almost religious in nature. All competing information and logic must be selectively ignored in order to protect the emotional stability of the belief. Pretty fascinating stuff in it's own right, but at the end of the day I'd much rather be listening to a new album than think about the hours and hours I've spent reading through these posts over the years.

Rodheh wrote: They responded to a question about rumors with absolutely no information whatsoever and then they redacted their post. I'm not sure how one can infer that "yes" means anything other than a literal answer to the question that was asked, which was "rumors of a new album are rife" or something of the like.

They did not redact their post.
https://www.facebook.com/boardsofcanada/posts/10150621277593927?comment_id=21629865&offset=150&total_comments=176

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada