GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
I think it all comes down to one simple thing; and that is, like most other musicians, they don’t really owe us anything. If they go quiet for a while then so be it. That’s always been the long and short of it in my eyes.

Posts Quantity
sixtyniner wrote:
They love their fans but they don't let them tell them what to do because at the end of the day it's a hobby for them and they obviously only like putting out things which are fully polished with intricate craftsmanship so that it can stand for itself as you say. I still just wish they released more which didn't fit on any strict polished thematic album like the unreleased live tracks.

I think a lot of the reason behind the isolation has to do with their whole ethos of individualism, not letting trends influence them or their music, not wanting to be celebrities and maintaining modesty, and their interest of alternative lifestyles like "living in a beautiful place out in the country" like the branch davidians.

Marcus: We're very much anti-globalization. One think that disturbs me is a trend today for technology to be created and used just for it's own sake. I recently heard a politician in the UK saying that population decline was a terrible thing and that if we don't build more houses then quality of life and the economy would suffer. It's such a naive and ignorant approach to the world. Where exactly do they stop? Once there is no land left, just industrial estates and housing? I think it's the saddest thing in the world that we have all the space and resources to give everyone a decent life, but it doesn't happen. George Bush is right in that there is an "axis of evil", but it lies at the door of big business and government. We try to support the idea of a less urbanized lifestyle in our music, but I don't want to preach to anyone.
[/quote]

Thank you for these insightful quotes. They are truly amazing. I especially like the last one.

I wonder if they have been able to avoid relying on mobilephones, Internet, etc. I think this is more of a the BoC idealistic philosophy, but I don't know if The Bros are able to keep the ermit or Amish life. I find it hard, especially if they are married and have children.

Dayvan Cowboy
The ultimate question, if Warp controls their twitter, why do they like posts regarding the release of a new album?

Is that just wishful thinking on Warp's part? :P
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
sixtyniner wrote: "living in a beautiful place out in the country" like the branch davidians.

http://wacocult.tripod.com/visit.html

Come to Mt. Carmel!

Eagle Minded
BoC may be against the internet in some way shape or form. But I agree, in 2020 it's hard to "hate" the internet. Also, from my perspective, I think BoC would hate the idea of someone else having control over their socials (unless it was someone they dearly trusted). They're complete control freaks and even Autechre said that after OT got leaked BoC started having some major trust issues and cut tons of people off. So to me it doesn't seem too far fetched to say that BoC does in fact have control of their socials, even if that means Warp asks them to tweet or post about certain things (such as SXT).
no information at this moment in time

Posts Quantity
The Spaniard wrote:I wonder if they have been able to avoid relying on mobilephones, Internet, etc. I think this is more of a the BoC idealistic philosophy, but I don't know if The Bros are able to keep the ermit or Amish life. I find it hard, especially if they are married and have children.

They're definitely not luddites. Not only do they use electronic gear to make their music but they also still engage in the use of technology - they've probably used the internet since the 90s (I mean a large amount of societas x tape was literally ripped from youtube and they may have discovered some of it on there), and they probably have used mobile phones for as long as everyone else has. It's much more about being aware of the negative and "homogenising effects" that it can have.

I think the internet is a prime example of this. As much connectivity it can provide, are we actually happier now that we have it? Is it all worth it? I know for a fact that for so many people it has the inverse effect, it sucks so much time out of peoples lives when that time can be used for something much more meaningful or productive, it makes people socially atomised and lose touch of friends and family, children are literally growing up on iPads completely normalised to instant gratification etc etc. As much as I am guilty of some of these things, I recognise just how damaging this whole trend is and how much worse it can get.
Last edited by sixtyniner on Fri May 15, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
I like the theory that the reason MDG doesn't post anymore about new albums is because the twitter account does that by liking tweets.

He probably got sick of being their lackey and PR person. If you read some of the responses to his claims of a new album, a lot were hostile and disbelieving. He told me that he doesn't have time to come on here anymore too.

Sherbet Head
sixtyniner wrote:Image
I think the internet is a prime example of this. As much connectivity it can provide, are we actually happier now that we have it? Is it all worth it? I know for a fact that for so many people it has the inverse effect, it sucks so much time out of peoples lives when that time can be used for something much more meaningful or productive, it makes people socially atomised and lose touch of friends and family, children are literally growing up on iPads completely normalised to instant gratification etc etc. As much as I am guilty of some of these things, I recognise just how damaging this whole trend is and how much worse it can get.

It's kinda off topic, but as with everything the problem is not with the technology but the individual using it. It's just a means to an end, but that end might go either way, depending on whether the impulse is authentic or not.

Also, I highly doubt they are managing those tweets themselves lol.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Sherbet Head
Echelon wrote:The ultimate question, if Warp controls their twitter, why do they like posts regarding the release of a new album?

Nah I think they do it just to keep this thread alive :wink:
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Posts Quantity
sixtyniner wrote:
The Spaniard wrote:I wonder if they have been able to avoid relying on mobilephones, Internet, etc. I think this is more of a the BoC idealistic philosophy, but I don't know if The Bros are able to keep the ermit or Amish life. I find it hard, especially if they are married and have children.

They're definitely not luddites. Not only do they use electronic gear to make their music but they also still engage in the use of technology - they've probably used the internet since the 90s (I mean a large amount of societas x tape was literally ripped from youtube and they may have discovered some of it on there), and they probably have used mobile phones for as long as everyone else has. It's much more about being aware of the negative and "homogenising effects" that it can have.

When they made that claim (early 2000s?), Internet wasn't what it is nowadays, not even close. To me the claim of "Internet is evil" is one of the several hollow, cheap and vain claims they have given over the years. The claims that they come up with in order to seem special or make them look like outsiders to their gullible fanbase and naive interviewers. They use their website to claim "Internet is evil", ok, that is contradictory. They are supposed to like anonymity and at the same time the Internetz is full of pictures of them; each release comes with new pictures.

I like their music, but they don't need to give cheap and vain claims. I guess that they know that the conspiracy junk sells well among the apocalyptic and conspiranoic fanbase BoC has.

It is all junk they say to sell albums and a profile of "mistery". Geogaddy lasts for 66 minutes and 6 seconds. Ohhhhhhhh!
Well... they just stretched the minutes in the silent Magic Window song to make the whole album last 66:06. It is all about aesthetics.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:The ultimate question, if Warp controls their twitter, why do they like posts regarding the release of a new album?

I dont think Warp controls their Twitter. If they do, they would also have to control their other accounts, right?

Warp doesn't share the aesthetics The Bros want for BoC. If Warp did control their twitter, I am sure they would twit way more in order to increment sales.

Posts Quantity
The Spaniard wrote:When they made that claim (early 2000s?), Internet wasn't what it is nowadays, not even close. To me the claim of "Internet is evil" is one of the several hollow, cheap and vain claims they have given over the years. The claims that they come up with in order to seem special or make them look like outsiders to their gullible fanbase and naive interviewers. They use their website to claim "Internet is evil", ok, that is contradictory. They are supposed to like anonymity and at the same time the Internetz is full of pictures of them; each release comes with new pictures.

I like their music, but they don't need to give cheap and vain claims. I guess that they know that the conspiracy junk sells well among the apocalyptic and conspiranoic fanbase BoC has.

It is all junk they say to sell albums and a profile of "mistery". Geogaddy lasts for 66 minutes and 6 seconds. Ohhhhhhhh!
Well... they just stretched the minutes in the silent Magic Window song to make the whole album last 66:06.

With everything you literally just acknowledged about them genuinely being so sceptical about the effects that technology and urban living has, and how much it influences their work, as well as you literally wondering if they live life as luddites, you straight up now think the whole thing is just a cheap gimmick and they're just "trying to make themselves look like outsiders to their gullible fanbase"? What?

Dayvan Cowboy
I tend to spend my time hate-using the internet, if that helps. It is possible.

Dayvan Cowboy
The Spaniard wrote:
When they made that claim (early 2000s?), Internet wasn't what it is nowadays, not even close. To me the claim of "Internet is evil" is one of the several hollow, cheap and vain claims they have given over the years. The claims that they come up with in order to seem special or make them look like outsiders to their gullible fanbase and naive interviewers. They use their website to claim "Internet is evil", ok, that is contradictory. They are supposed to like anonymity and at the same time the Internetz is full of pictures of them; each release comes with new pictures.

It's an interesting perspective seeing all this lore as a marketing gimmick. They're certainly not the first band to do the mystery angle. The Residents had turned the whole anonymity and secretive thing into an art form while BOC were still in diapers.

I feel like The Residents, there is some truth to their actions but mixed in with some theatrics. I feel people just take BOC's mystifications more seriously than the Residents because they aren't wearing giant eyeball heads with top hats.

Posts Quantity
sixtyniner wrote:With everything you literally just acknowledged about them genuinely being so sceptical about the effects that technology and urban living has, and how much it influences their work, as well as you literally wondering if they live life as luddites, you straight up now think the whole thing is just a cheap gimmick and they're just "trying to make themselves look like outsiders to their gullible fanbase"? What?

No. I am trying to say that there is a distinction between Mike and Markus, and the BoC aesthetic. Mike and Marcus like the contryside and they are outdoorsy, but they use the Internet, have phones, Netflix and anything a regular person has and does.

In order to sell you an album, they absorb trends, theories and thoughts they are somewhat interested in, and market you an album that is fully packaged with it.

They use these trends as a marketing tool so that the fanbase and critics talk and wonder. But they are just two brothers making music. The problem is that they have created a fanbase that believes in these conspiracy theories and try to make sense of every sample they put in an album, when they just did it for fun, to give an interesting theme to an album that will help with sales.

As a consequence, when we try to compare what BoC says and what The Bros do, it looks kind of contradictory.
Last edited by The Spaniard on Fri May 15, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:
The Spaniard wrote:

It's an interesting perspective seeing all this lore as a marketing gimmick. They're certainly not the first band to do the mystery angle. The Residents had turned the whole anonymity and secretive thing into an art form while BOC were still in diapers.

I feel like The Residents, there is some truth to their actions but mixed in with some theatrics. I feel people just take BOC's mystifications more seriously than the Residents because they aren't wearing giant eyeball heads with top hats.

Haha, that is a good point. Also, when I think of somebody that wants to be somewhat unknown despite being popular I think of the artist Burial. He remained anonymous for a long time despite his work becoming highly influential and recognizable. I think there are only one or two official pictures of him on the Internet. A few more were released by somebody else.
BoC though, how many official pictures do we have on the Internet? Tons!

Posts Quantity
The Spaniard wrote:No. I am trying to say that there is a distinction between Mike and Markus, and the BoC aesthetic. Mike and Marcus like the contryside and they are outdoorsy, but they use the Internet, have phones, Netflix and anything a regular person has and does.

In order to sell you an album, they absorb trends, theories and thoughts they are somewhat interested in, and market you an album that is fully packaged with it.

They use these trends as a marketing tool so that the fanbase and critics talk and wonder. But they are just two brothers making music. The problem is that they have created a fanbase that believes in these conspiracy theories and try to make sense of every sample they put in an album, when they just did it for fun, to give an interesting theme to an album that will help with sales.

You think way too lowly of them honestly if you think they're willing to give up their artistic integrity like that just to boost sales when it could just as easily be a passion project. I mean for god's sake Amo Bishop Roden herself says that they literally met with her and stayed at the compound for a few days.

Dayvan Cowboy
sixtyniner wrote:You think way too lowly of them honestly if you think they're willing to give up their artistic integrity like that just to boost sales when it could just as easily be a passion project. I mean for god's sake Amo Bishop Roden herself says that they literally met with her and stayed at the compound for a few days.

Lately though, there are a few examples of non-artistic integrity from them. The limited print poster from Bleep that some dude in Japan is now selling for (I kid you not) 1969$, selling Dayvan Cowboy to some car commercial and now the BBC sessions with XYZ (making BOC completionists like me spend $25 for one song.)

However, I understand why they do it. Everybody gotta eat 8)

Dayvan Cowboy
The Spaniard wrote:No. I am trying to say that there is a distinction between Mike and Markus, and the BoC aesthetic. Mike and Marcus like the contryside and they are outdoorsy, but they use the Internet, have phones, Netflix and anything a regular person has and does.

As a consequence, when we try to compare what BoC says and what The Bros do, it looks kind of contradictory.

For the record, they have a friend on reddit who plays Fortnite with Marcus.

I honestly feel that BOC might be avoiding their fanbase since TH turned a lot of people into numerology conspiracy nuts (hey, even i was thinking TH predicted the future during this pandemic) and they want no part in it. *insert the Spy Kids Villain meme*

Posts Quantity
sixtyniner wrote:You think way too lowly of them honestly if you think they're willing to give up their artistic integrity like that just to boost sales when it could just as easily be a passion project. I mean for god's sake Amo Bishop Roden herself says that they literally met with her and stayed at the compound for a few days.

They are extremely good at what they do, and they work very hard on their art, and when they work on music, they are devoted to it, that is why they have a whole forum dedicated to them, that has been active for years even in times when there is not much to talk about.

Regarding artistic integrity, one thing is the work of art (BoC, the albums and what they transmit) and another thing is the artist.
In this case, the artist (The Bros) don't necessarily need to follow what their art transmit. Some groups have an identity or aesthetic and the members of the band don't always follow that identity. Also, BoC's aesthetic has changed over the years, and this fact takes us back to the same idea: each album is inspired by certain ideas that have nothing to do with the band.
They read about X and Y and they come up with an album inspired by X and Y. They read about the Branch Davidians and they came up with an amazing EP influenced by cults and "religious communities" that sold well.

I always try to take what they say with a pinch of salt. I really don't think they agree with the statement of Internet being evil. Yes, there are bad things about it, but come on...

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada