GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
mechanismj wrote:Starting to lean toward this, too. What better way to add mystery and intrigue to your project than to make up a few albums that nobody will ever get to hear.

Prove me wrong (please).

But then there's this guy. Didn't we discuss this once?
https://www.scaruffi.com/vol6/boardsof.html
also gave TH a 4.5/10 :shock:

Sherbet Head
Kreide wrote:
mechanismj wrote:Starting to lean toward this, too. What better way to add mystery and intrigue to your project than to make up a few albums that nobody will ever get to hear.

Prove me wrong (please).

I went down this rabbit hole again the other day, reading an old thread somewhere on the forums here. I'd like to know who gave him those old tapes/cds or where he heard them.

Eagle Minded
northernlite wrote:
Kreide wrote:

Prove me wrong (please).

[url]<a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="https://www.scaruffi.com/vol6/boardsof.htm

I went down this rabbit hole again the other day, reading an old thread somewhere on the forums here. I'd like to know who gave him those old tapes/cds or where he heard them.

Don't forget we have a few interviews out there that confirm the pre-Twoism releases as well: The Jockey Slut interview and The 2005 Go Mag Interview ;)
From the Go Mag interview (In Spanish):
1 Does all of the material before "Twoism" really exist?

The official discography of BoC does not start with the "Hi Scores" EP on Skam, but much earlier. The list of references on Music70 includes an album even earlier than "Music has the right to children" - "Boc Maxima" (96), limited to 50 copies on CD and fewer copies on tape; most of the material was later re-recorded and recycled for their Warp debut - and a series of EPs that no one knows anything about and whose authenticity - the leaks on the Internet have always been incomplete, many tracks lifted or pilfered from behind the curtains of the duo's official website - it has never been possible to guarantee fully. Was there ever something titled "Closes volume 1", or "Hooper bay", or the so evocatively-titled "Acid Memories"?
They do exist,
maintains Sandison.
In their first incarnation they were cassette tapes, and we re-recorded some of them on CD, but the releases were very limited and they only circulated among our friends. We took great care to give them to the right people, in whose hands they would be safe; we never gave anything to people unless we knew them very well. If some of those releases have leaked on the Internet it's because we placed too much trust in someone, or because we distributed more copies than we needed to, there are twenty, thirty copies of some releases, but up to a hundred copies of others.
In all these years,

continues Eoin,
only 'BoC maxima' and the two compilations of 'old tunes' have circulated widely on the Internet. But it wouldn't surprise me if, this coming year, we started seeing the complete 'Acid memories' appear out there. In any case, the fact that our tapes remain unreleased is a miracle; when we made them, we had no idea that anyone would invent this thing called MP3.
Now, some consolation for the fans: aside from an EP for 2006, Boards of Canada's most ambitious plan for the future is to release a box set with a wide selection of material covering the period 1987 to 1995. "Maybe we will do it with Warp". Yes, please!

Dayvan Cowboy
ZosoCon wrote:[b]only 'BoC maxima' and the two compilations of 'old tunes' have circulated widely on the Internet. But it wouldn't surprise me if, this coming year, we started seeing the complete 'Acid memories'

I think this confirms that the person who leaked the Old Tunes/BOC Maxima has Acid Memories but didn't leak it.

Such a shame. Maybe BOC found them and broke their legs :lol:

I strongly believe that a boxset might be next. MDG said after the next album and it's been mentioned for years. Heck it was even mentioned in this article Zosocon cited.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Hmm. From what I know the the OT tapes were stolen by that Prince Murat guy from a mod on WATMM (datathief?). Perhaps he didn't steal Acid Memories? Yes I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the boxset.

Dayvan Cowboy
bungler666 wrote:Hmm. From what I know the the OT tapes were stolen by that Prince Murat guy from a mod on WATMM (datathief?). Perhaps he didn't steal Acid Memories? Yes I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the boxset.

If Mike and Marcus thought that Acid Memories was going to leak, the same guy might have had it. Maybe Prince Murat stole it but didn't leak it after Warp and BOC took legal intervention.

Another theory I've had is that maybe Christ. leaked R35TT but did it as a compromise by not giving out the names. He once remarked that he was clearing out his basement and had stuff in there that could pay off his mortgage.

(Note to mods and Christ. this is just a theory, don't sue me please :twisted: )

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:
protected wrote:The old albums don't exist and album names were made up to give them a discography.

Mexi -- you grabbed a quote from an account that's "protected" with your admin super powers I assume? I can't find any user with that handle. I'm curious who said that and when.

Eagle Minded
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... oubliette/

Weird BoC-esque video and song that just popped up over on the subreddit. The user has a lot of karma (fake internet points), but for whatever reason has deleted every single post/comment but has left up 2 things on his profile: 1) a comment over on r/Comics about Hell :evil: and then this post to r/boardsofcanada.

I'm not reading too much into it, but just thought I'd share to see what others think.

PS; It's been a minute. I hope everyone is doing well :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada/comments/fulgzj/oubliette/

Weird BoC-esque video and song that just popped up over on the subreddit. The user has a lot of karma (fake internet points), but for whatever reason has deleted every single post/comment but has left up 2 things on his profile: 1) a comment over on r/Comics about Hell :evil: and then this post to r/boardsofcanada.

I'm not reading too much into it, but just thought I'd share to see what others think.

I hate to say it but my heart jumped listening to this. I'm not going to make a fool of myself but there is something about this. If this is a fake, then it's reaching uncanny valleys of BOC-ness.

This is like some kind of unsettling Geogaddi, Tomorrow's Harvest vignette. Whoever made it has my applause.

PS: If fake, this is officially my favorite BOC fake. And it didn't even involve a stupid hip hop drum machine that the tries but fails to nail the BOC essence. Just a creepy minimal synth melody and some faint crackling. Makes me wonder why people spent so much time making 5 or 6 minute fakes when they could try their hand at tiny vignettes that don't even involve a drum machine.

PPS: Never mind, this is fake. Slenderman makes an appearance in this video XD

Dayvan Cowboy
As a final word, I will say that it sounds similar to Track 09 on the 2001 ATP show. Inspiration maybe?

Posts Quantity
Mozart wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada/comments/fulgzj/oubliette/

The name "Ahypnion" rang a bell and I remember that he's done some nice covers of Boards tracks in the past. Sure enough: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChKT7f ... Naw/videos

phpBB [media]

I think we all need to exercise a lot more critical thinking as fans, honestly, before we start thinking something is actually an unreleased track.

Dayvan Cowboy
Kreide wrote:

Prove me wrong (please).

I believe that Scaruffi is full of shit, personally - either he listened to fakes floating around the internet and doesn't know better, or he's just straight up lying. But, the old albums are also mentioned by Richard Southern, who has interviewed BoC in person and describes the sound of Acid Memories as "guitars meet electronics in embryonic but recognisably Boards-ian melodicism."

This, combined with the huge amount of tracks in their back catalog and the tracks on R35TT, which are arranged essentially as a "best of" that sound like they were taken from cassette releases, leads me to believe the old releases actually exist. Some of them, at least.

Dayvan Cowboy
BOC must also get a real kick out of a bunch of strangers discussing what they did in their garage as teens. I know they pretend not to care, but I think they secretly enjoy their little urban legend.

Posts Quantity
I was going through old BoC's related websites and I noticed that cosecha-transmisiones.com doesn't redirect to BoC's Bleep page anymore and now points nowhere, but maybe that is old news. Still, I whois'd it and it seems like the domain name was very recently (late March 2020) renewed by Warp. Even though the website was probably made exclusively for TH's ARG, why would they renew and leave it totally blank? An oversight?

I also checked on newcleardawn.com and signalquality.co.uk websites, which are known to be owned by Hexagon Sun members. Seems like both of them have their domain name expiring this year (in 9 days for signalquality). It might be interesting to see if they are renewed, even though they're not directly related to Boards of Canada, maybe it could mean that Hexagon Sun is still active in some way?

I know I'm probably not going to find anything new with this but I guess you also can't beat the boredom during lockdown :oops:

Dayvan Cowboy
Ottomatik wrote:Still, I whois'd it and it seems like the domain name was very recently (late March 2020) renewed by Warp.

I think this is a good sign. Just take into account what's happening with the world lately and the message of Tomorrow's Harvest. Also consider the likes that BOC was giving on Twitter recently. I think we are finally heading into the next phase of the BOC narrative.

I still think that if BOC would actually drop something during these sad, sick times it would be the nicest gift ever so fingers crossed.

Eagle Minded
What if Covid-19 was actually released by the brothers as a physical follow-up to TH instead of an album?

Eagle Minded
I've had that thought as well, haha

Happy Cycler
Moloch wrote:What if Covid-19 was actually released by the brothers as a physical follow-up to TH instead of an album?

If so, it is hands down the suckiest thing they have ever released.

Eagle Minded
mechanismj wrote:
Moloch wrote:What if Covid-19 was actually released by the brothers as a physical follow-up to TH instead of an album?

Nah it's still Campfire Headphase.

LOL I'M KIDDING FOLKS.

Dayvan Cowboy
Wildfire wrote:
mechanismj wrote:

Nah it's still Campfire Headphase.

LOL I'M KIDDING FOLKS.

Lmao. I wouldn't put it past certain folks in the IDM community and Pitchfork to actually think that. I remember a TH interview where a reporter actually bashed it while speaking to them.

Kind of funny when you realize that there's more creative ideas in TCH than entire catalogs of lesser bands. Oscar See Through The Red Eye has like a billion things going on at once.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada