GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Biznasty wrote:

Wow I love the more old-school twoism style. When did we decide to modernize? :wink:

I believe it was in 2014, when the forum got thrown into the modern age via phpBB3. :)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12381&hilit=phpbb3

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:If you ask me Wall Of Voodoo lost their magic as soon as Stan and Joe left, they were the real heart and soul of the band lmao. At this point even on the off chance that Stan's interested in a reunion it wouldn't be the same since Joe and Marc are both dead. Oh well, at least my copies of Dark Continent and Call Of The West are still there for me to go back to regularly!

(also Stan's solo stuff is pretty good, I've got a couple albums of his and quite enjoy them [especially "Partyball"])

Forgive me for going off topic, but when am I ever going to find someone to talk Voodoo with.

I think WoV could have survived as a new iteration of the band after they left but their label really wasn't too invested in them. The band got Ian Broudie for Sammystown but for the next the label just said "fuck it, bring in Mazda again, that worked, right?". After that, the label put out a live album to "spark interest", but that didn't do much either. Songs like Wrong Way to Hollywood, Museums, Living In the Red, and Blackboard Sky still showed promise IMO.

Are Sammystown and Happy Planet the inferior albums? Yeah, honestly, but I think WoV could have gotten away without Stans vocals, but sure as hell not without Marc's signature guitar work. If you've never heard it, I highly recommend checking out the album "Plan 9 From Las Vegas" by Department of Crooks, which was a short-lived band with Marc in the 90s and I think you'll hear what I'm talking about, Andy even provided some piano for that one too. :wink:
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
Biznasty wrote:Personally, I think Warp are actually gearing up for a new [your favourite artist] release.

Woah! Back up there. [the flaming lips] moved to warp records?! Wayne Coyne and his major label antics. :wink:
Personally, I am very interested in the new [Wall of Voodoo] album being released through Warp, particularly since one of its founding (and arguably most important) members has been dead for twenty years. :lol:

Warp need to sign XTC even though they've been in late period feud deadlock for 17 years and will never settle their difference
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Biznasty wrote:

Wow I love the more old-school twoism style. When did we decide to modernize? :wink:

You can change to a very similar theme right now. Go to User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> My Board Style and choose "twoism-ripplex". Enjoy!

Dayvan Cowboy

With how shitty I feel nowadays, it would be nice to see something like the first page again.

Sherbet Head
We're Kraftwerk fans now. Anything that happens is unexpected and a pleasant surprise, unless someone dies. This is the way.

Eagle Minded
Boards of Canada will release a new album soon.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Sherbet Head
No. They won't.

phpBB [media]

Josh wrote:We're Kraftwerk fans now. Anything that happens is unexpected and a pleasant surprise, unless someone dies. This is the way.
Disagree. When (not if) something happens it's definitely expected. You just need to be willing to read all the signs. They're out there. http://bocpages.org/wiki/Timeline

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:
Josh wrote:We're Kraftwerk fans now. Anything that happens is unexpected and a pleasant surprise, unless someone dies. This is the way.
Disagree. When (not if) something happens it's definitely expected. You just need to be willing to read all the signs. They're out there. http://bocpages.org/wiki/Timeline

Sherbet Head
rodox_head wrote:Forgive me for going off topic, but when am I ever going to find someone to talk Voodoo with.

I think WoV could have survived as a new iteration of the band after they left but their label really wasn't too invested in them. The band got Ian Broudie for Sammystown but for the next the label just said "fuck it, bring in Mazda again, that worked, right?". After that, the label put out a live album to "spark interest", but that didn't do much either. Songs like Wrong Way to Hollywood, Museums, Living In the Red, and Blackboard Sky still showed promise IMO.

Are Sammystown and Happy Planet the inferior albums? Yeah, honestly, but I think WoV could have gotten away without Stans vocals, but sure as hell not without Marc's signature guitar work. If you've never heard it, I highly recommend checking out the album "Plan 9 From Las Vegas" by Department of Crooks, which was a short-lived band with Marc in the 90s and I think you'll hear what I'm talking about, Andy even provided some piano for that one too. :wink:

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that WoV instantly turned shit after Call Of The West but they definitely lost a lot of what made them special imo. They sound closer to any other post-punk band from Sammystown onwards, Stan's bizarre-o lyrics and Joe's crazy percussion really brought a lot to the table for them and made them stand out way more. Those songs you recommended are indeed pretty good though, I've got a soft spot for Big City as well.

Big thanks for recommending Plan 9 From Las Vegas too by the way, I'm only 2 tracks in but this is sounding like exactly my type of thing so far! I think I even like it better than Andy-era WoV already lmao :lol:
Something tells me BoC would probably dig this too:
phpBB [media]
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Happy Cycler
Orbited insanitarium wrote:

Wow. Almost forgot twoism used to look like that.

IIRC I was the one who recommended mirroring that image of the bros next to the water that was at the bottom of the page. We were looking for a little symmetry and balance.

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:
Biznasty wrote:

Wow. Almost forgot twoism used to look like that.

IIRC I was the one who recommended mirroring that image of the bros next to the water that was at the bottom of the page. We were looking for a little symmetry and balance.

Cor, I did not know that. Perhaps when a release rolls around, we could put a custom banner on the index page like ol' times. :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
Vangelis just passed... surely... that is the most telling sign of all? His Blade Runner soundtrack is a masterpiece.

:(
Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
Magrathea wrote:Vangelis just passed... surely... that is the most telling sign of all? His Blade Runner soundtrack is a masterpiece.

:(

Oh shit. I hope they pay tribute to him. Especially since they used a sample from him in Happy Cycling and mentioned Le Apocalypse de animales (or however you mention that in French) in an interview

Vangelis often used warm analog synths on his classic albums too and pioneered electronic music before IDM. They are definitely fans.

I haven't heard Blade Runner but I've heard people compare it to TH.

Eagle Minded
Oh no! Vangelis was brilliant, and Blade Runner is one of my favorite soundtracks ever. The best music to paint to.

Dayvan Cowboy
Really? Vangelis? That shocks me.

Spiral is a fantastic record of his, almost proto-IDM in places. I'll be digging out my copy later, it's such gorgeous music.

Eagle Minded
My new guess is that they're waiting for Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 to run out of steam in 2025 before releasing anything.

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:Oh yeah, I'm not saying that WoV instantly turned shit after Call Of The West but they definitely lost a lot of what made them special imo. They sound closer to any other post-punk band from Sammystown onwards, Stan's bizarre-o lyrics and Joe's crazy percussion really brought a lot to the table for them and made them stand out way more. Those songs you recommended are indeed pretty good though, I've got a soft spot for Big City as well.

Big thanks for recommending Plan 9 From Las Vegas too by the way, I'm only 2 tracks in but this is sounding like exactly my type of thing so far! I think I even like it better than Andy-era WoV already lmao :lol:
Something tells me BoC would probably dig this too

Funny you mention it as something BoC would like, since the wobbly bass in "Two Minutes til Lunch" always reminded me of "Statue of Liberty".

For sure, the original was certainly an impressive mix of talents, Joe being a favorite drummer of mine as well. If Paul and Ringo left The Beatles and were replaced, you'd probably have a decent band, but not the Beatles. I stick up for all the members :P . Todd in the shadows did an overview of the band (probably the most public attention they've gotten since then) and I don't think he even named any member other than Stan :? .
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
So how are we all feeling about the BoC activity as of late?

It feels like things are both speeding up and slowing down at the same time. The Twitter likes are definitely not as alarming as they used to be, they've been so direct with us that a lot of us have finally embraced the fact they have all but confirmed an album, so now we wait.

I feel like I'm not driven to look for hidden meanings or clues anymore, even Stargate isn't on my mind at this point. The waiting game is now the way it was before there was any activity, just pure, bland, boring waiting...

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada