GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
If we're going with space metaphors, another good one is a transmission being delayed by 7 years

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:I am impartial to the future release being either a new album or a boxset. But here's my theory on why it might be a boxset.

Basically, the 4 main albums are chapters in BOC's life and each tells us what the brother's were thinking over the years.

After their happy days of experimenting with acid back in the day (their earliest EP is called Acid Memories for a good reason) BOC quickly realized the "irreversible vector" we were traveling on as a species and it quickly showed in the music. First there was Music, which explored the scary reality that childhood isn't always as sweet as we think it is but there are still genuine moments of bliss and happiness (ROYGBIV, Aquarius, Open The Light) Then with Geogaddi they faced the dark issues going on in the world for the first time, but it still had a warm, nostalgic, acid-y feel in places. Afterwards, there was Headphase where rather than face the ever darkening world, they created a place of refuge for their fans even if the ending to TCH was still inevitably sad. Lastly, with Harvest, they are finally coming right out and telling us that society is quickly coming unglued and they are weeping for it.

It took me a long time to realize this, but BOC's albums and their trajectory are perfect. They are an honest glimpse of society from people who have always preferred being on the outside of it. It is why I could understand Tomorrow's Harvest being their final statement and then going on to making archival works to support their kids. What more do they have to tell us about society and their feelings in album form? Now, we may finally get a glimpse behind the curtain and see the underside of their career, aka what they were working on between and during albums that never made it to the classic 4.

I like the theory you have on their album/artist evolution. It seems as though they are growing with humankind, a nostalgic but truthful outlook of humanity, from the greatest times to the darkest times, an acknowledgment of the human experience within reality of sorts; the highest highs, the lowest lows, the warmest nights, and the coldest days.

I think that they love making music too much to just stop releasing new stuff. (If I'm being completely honest, I still think Red Moon nights still happen) I can definitely see them releasing some intermittent/older stuff and taking a break only to return in a decade with brand new material. That's why I honestly think it's both. Give us a little old with a little new. They won't be released simultaneously, but I think there will be some sort of ultimate re-release of all their EP's, and LP's from Hi-Scores to TH, there will be a BoC Set of stuff from Old Tunes, R35TT, Acid Memories, etc. and then finally there will be a new album. Possibly space themed to show the direction both they and society are headed, in a warm and hopeful antithesis to the cold and desolate TH.

I'd wager there are going to be 6 major studio albums released by the time the boys put up their hats for good. The Final Album being called something in relation to Hexagon Sun (if not just Hexagon Sun). It just seems like they've been setting everything up since the very beginning. The timeline may be under their influence for sure, but I don't think BoC is finished with us quite yet and I think we are just beginning to realize how awesome their final few releases will be.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Dayvan Cowboy
I just want to say a simple thing about Warp's release schedule. With Squarepusher earlier this year, they gave him a month (January) to hype his release but then released stuff by Jockstrap and Darkstar nearly afterwards (Early Feb). I feel this will be similar with Autechre who are getting a month and a half of hype for their new release.

I'm not going to pretend I know Warp's release schedule or that I can predict what they'll do, but from what I've seen, even the big names still don't get more than two months devoted to a single release. I agree with everyone who says a December/January release for a BOC album. (With maybe an announcement in November around the time of ABPOUTC's anniversary.) I don't think they've ever done one around that time and it would be a lovely holiday gift.

Also happycycling, that is the best course of action and the one I hope we get in this decade. I don't mind a long time between new releases if we can get some archival stuff in the meantime. I hope one day we can have archival releases like when Warp rereleased Twoism.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
With new OPN coming... see you next year.

Dayvan Cowboy
Moz wrote:With new OPN coming... see you next year.

When the Autechre album was announced after Geoghandi's prank and all the false hype, I threw my arms up and said the same exact thing.

Then the infamous banner showed up a few days later! All I'm saying is we might get thrown a curve ball in the coming months. I think it's interesting OPN's new album wasn't slated to be released in the month of ABPOITC's anniversary. Not saying it's deliberate, but with a company as secretive as Warp, you never know what could happen.

Posts Quantity
BOC twitter liked three recent tweets last night! Brings their total likes to 292.

And anyone saying a new OPN album is a bad sign is being just trying to be pessimistic. Almost all Warp major artists have announced a release this year. I think part of warp 30 is a year-long release party of new albums. The fact they stacked Autechre and OPN in the same month makes it clear they aren’t devoting tons of time to roll-outs.

Eagle Minded
It’s all in motion

Posts Quantity
https://twitter.com/ladywantsaudio/stat ... 7238994944

@boctransmission liking this tweet is god-tier trolling.

Eagle Minded
writetomhatcher wrote:BOC twitter liked three recent tweets last night! Brings their total likes to 292.

And anyone saying a new OPN album is a bad sign is being just trying to be pessimistic. Almost all Warp major artists have announced a release this year. I think part of warp 30 is a year-long release party of new albums. The fact they stacked Autechre and OPN in the same month makes it clear they aren’t devoting tons of time to roll-outs.

I think this is a correct take. Everything is pointing to a release. If not, they are being cruel.

Dayvan Cowboy
A less humble band I could kind of see that being a cruel joke. Maybe I'm reaching, but BoC have always seemed humble to a fault. You could look at that like "maybe there is more out there, go look for it and enjoy what you find even though it's not got our name on it" kinda thing, like with Societas X, which kind of felt a bit like that.

Dayvan Cowboy
Davism wrote:
writetomhatcher wrote:BOC twitter liked three recent tweets last night! Brings their total likes to 292.

I think this is a correct take. Everything is pointing to a release. If not, they are being cruel.

Agree. OPN realease feels more closer to BOC, than any release Autechre in recent years. But this is more just wishfull thinking. Until there's an official announcment, everything is just a speculation.

Sherbet Head
As big as OPN is I don't think he's considered one of the big warp guys, I think they stagger the bigger stalwarts a bit more spaciously.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Skams "amks.live" stream could go live again next week, other than that I've got nothing...

If they have started to set things in motion they could provide a little more guidance.

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:Skams "amks.live" stream could go live again next week, other than that I've got nothing...

If they have started to set things in motion they could provide a little more guidance.

I still say the anniversary of ABPOITC might be the most suspect date since it's from the "golden era" for most BOC fans (1995-2002).

Without reading too much into the release schedule, I still think it's interesting how they crammed OPN into October with Autechre rather than release it in November.

Eagle Minded
irv wrote:https://twitter.com/ladywantsaudio/status/1307236817238994944

Wait, what? Did they really like that? I don’t have Twitter so I can’t tell.

Eagle Minded
Helios wrote:
irv wrote:https://twitter.com/ladywantsaudio/status/1307236817238994944

Wait, what? Did they really like that? I don’t have Twitter so I can’t tell.

Yes they did! Along with a few other tweets... I find it unlikely that they would just dump music like that, but even if they did with the vastness of the internet it is unlikely that we would ever find it. I think they liked it because they (Or the Hexagon Sun member/Warp intern) found it amusing. In total they liked 3 new tweets, this one, one talking about how a new BoC album would be a "wonderful gift", and one saying that BoC forgot their twitter password.
no information at this moment in time

Posts Quantity
Just gonna suggest that the content of the likes is not as important. I think they are going to add up to some significant number or something. But I don’t think it’s worth much reading into just one or all of the tweets they liked. It’s hundreds at this point and I don’t think it is a clue But rather a way to get our attention—I think it won’t be a scavenger hunt like TH and more likely just an announcement in the 70th tweet and the 5th IG post.

Dayvan Cowboy
I do think the tweets they or their management like are acknowledgements of fans' feelings and wants though. Except for the ones that claim Tomorrow's Harvest predicted 2020, they're all about new albums or releasing unreleased music.

With that most recent one, I almost feel that we might get an archival release after a new album. Kind of like how Happy Cycling said it could mirror the vinyl reissues we got after TH.

Hey, it's plausible. They had plenty of time to do both. All I know is that this internet stuff makes me feel uncertain but hopeful at the same time :)

Posts Quantity

Posts Quantity
https://amks.live

as of 9/26/2020 at 5:10 PM EST, amks.live is currently streaming
chronical wrote:Robots doing robot things

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada