GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Don't get me wrong, He's at the top of the warp pile for a reason, he's done some of the best, top tier electronic music there is, i'm a fan but the stuff he's put out since Syro is merely a dump of his hard drives (With exceptions of Collapse and a few tracks here and there) He knows this and it's great he's doing it, serious props to him but the most insane thing about it all is the fans, it's them who build up this hype. He could fart in a cup and the SC comments would be praising the lord and thanking him for all he's given them.
You could feel the bullshit

Posts Quantity
Some interesting boc trivia mentioned by Sean Booth on watmm: https://forum.watmm.com/topic/98809-ae- ... oc-trivia/

Posts Quantity
koroviev wrote:Some interesting boc trivia mentioned by Sean Booth on watmm: https://forum.watmm.com/topic/98809-ae- ... oc-trivia/

I've also heard from two different people that Sean mentioned somewhere that Tomorrow's Harvest was different because one of the brothers was absent (supposedly Marcus was abroad and so wasn't involved as much as usual?). Although I can't confirm this info because I struggle to find the source.

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:Don't get me wrong, He's at the top of the warp pile for a reason, he's done some of the best, top tier electronic music there is, i'm a fan but the stuff he's put out since Syro is merely a dump of his hard drives (With exceptions of Collapse and a few tracks here and there) He knows this and it's great he's doing it, serious props to him but the most insane thing about it all is the fans, it's them who build up this hype. He could fart in a cup and the SC comments would be praising the lord and thanking him for all he's given them.

I kind of feel that some of the Warp legends from the 90s are slowing down creatively. This includes BOC. It might come with age and priorities in life. The difference between Aphex and BOC is that Aphex is spoiling fans with all his unreleased tracks while BOC are mostly silent save for some remixes.

I kind of wonder what would happen if BOC actually dumped their hard drives. I think it would provoke an even crazier response than Aphex fans actually. We'd probably make it a new holiday. :lol:

Also Autechre: "They went weird and cut a lot of people off" when Old Tunes 1 and 2 leaked

Sadly this probably closed them off even more. I hear they're very paranoid and rightfully so.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
I bit the bullet and subscribed to the Wire: https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... surprised/

Don't waste your time, it's only an opinion piece. Unless of course this "Octo Octa" are a huge band on the current scene. Then BOC have influenced a giant in this day and age :P

lmao at "hexagon son" I want that to be my new username

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:Also Autechre: "They went weird and cut a lot of people off" when Old Tunes 1 and 2 leaked

Sadly this probably closed them off even more. I hear they're very paranoid and rightfully so.
♄ope keeper wrote:there were leaks of tens of their early trax, so... maybe they also have to get through "too much of us has been released already despite the time hasn't come yet"...)

I thought that too (2 months ago)... it didn't add much good to their nihilism possibly (at least they know their fans aren't responsible for that)...

Dayvan Cowboy
♄ope keeper wrote:
Echelon wrote:Also Autechre: "They went weird and cut a lot of people off" when Old Tunes 1 and 2 leaked

♄ope keeper wrote:there were leaks of tens of their early trax, so... maybe they also have to get through "too much of us has been released already despite the time hasn't come yet"...)

I thought that too (2 months ago)... it didn't add much good to their nihilism possibly (at least they know their fans aren't responsible for that)...

We basically have what Aphex dumped on Soundcloud. I think the reason people crave more is because MDG constantly teased the release of a boxset and said there are thousands of unreleased songs from every session.

But honestly, I think the release of OT severely damaged their desire to release archival material and even their trust in people.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:
♄ope keeper wrote:

We basically have what Aphex dumped on Soundcloud. I think the reason people crave more is because MDG constantly teased the release of a boxset and said there are thousands of unreleased songs from every session.

But honestly, I think the release of OT severely damaged their desire to release archival material and even their trust in people.

Absolutely agree... also I suppose Mike is a Cancer zodiac sign, apart from maybe Scorpio (me) I don't think there is more sensitive sign to trust...

Mike: "Music for me, is an escape from Gap. If I wander into a clothes shop, I swiftly think: fucking hell, somebody should do something about this, I've got to get away from here as fast as possible, back to my fantasy-world."

https://bocpages.org/wiki/The_Last_Secret_of_Pop (2005)

Also interesting BOC tweeted this gem from Old Tunes 2 in 2018:

Boards of Canada - Buckie High (1994):

phpBB [media]

https://twitter.com/boctransmission/sta ... 5677315072

Dayvan Cowboy
♄ope keeper wrote:Mike: "Music for me, is an escape from Gap. If I wander into a clothes shop, I swiftly think: fucking hell, somebody should do something about this, I've got to get away from here as fast as possible, back to my fantasy-world."

https://bocpages.org/wiki/The_Last_Secret_of_Pop (2005)

Also interesting BOC tweeted this gem from Old Tunes 2 in 2018:

Boards of Canada - Buckie High (1994):

phpBB [media]

https://twitter.com/boctransmission/sta ... 5677315072

They've definitely acknowledged their Old Tunes and R35TT music at least. Or at least the people managing their youtube and twitter accounts have.

You're definitely right about them being sensitive. I think it's both their perfectionist tendencies and just a skepticism towards people. It might not even be the fact that they dislike their Old Tunes, it was just the principle that somebody went back on their world and released it to the public. People have also taped their concerts and it should be no surprise we haven't gotten a concert since 2001!

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:We basically have what Aphex dumped on Soundcloud. I think the reason people crave more is because MDG constantly teased the release of a boxset and said there are thousands of unreleased songs from every session.

But honestly, I think the release of OT severely damaged their desire to release archival material and even their trust in people

mdg was saying this well after all their old stuff got leaked. More like we should be very glad the old tunes were leaked because there was every chance they wouldn't have released the bocset anyway. For whatever reason they ultimately decided against it, and I doubt the reason is just because they feel wronged by some friends who they thought they could trust.

Echelon wrote:It might not even be the fact that they dislike their Old Tunes, it was just the principle that somebody went back on their world and released it to the public. People have also taped their concerts and it should be no surprise we haven't gotten a concert since 2001!

It's naive to think they didn't do any more concerts because people spoilt it by recording them. They are on the record saying they don't particularly like doing gigs and only do them when asked by their record company. They also say they always want to change up each of their live performances and that they take a month of preparation for each gig they do. After ATP they probably were either just not asked to play at a place they wanted to, not particular interested or they just didn't have the time.

Likewise to old tunes, I for one am totally glad they were recorded because a lot of the unreleased tracks they played haven't seen a release (or only a two second loop in the case of Spiro, lol) when imho some are the best tracks they've ever made but didn't fit on any of their albums. I think recording rare concerts is absolutely righteous.

Dayvan Cowboy
sixtyniner wrote:
Echelon wrote:We basically have what Aphex dumped on Soundcloud. I think the reason people crave more is because MDG constantly teased the release of a boxset and said there are thousands of unreleased songs from every session.

But honestly, I think the release of OT severely damaged their desire to release archival material and even their trust in people

mdg was saying this well after all their old stuff got leaked. More like we should be very glad the old tunes were leaked because there was every chance they wouldn't have released the bocset anyway. For whatever reason they ultimately decided against it, and I doubt the reason is just because they feel wronged by some friends who they thought they could trust.

Echelon wrote:It might not even be the fact that they dislike their Old Tunes, it was just the principle that somebody went back on their world and released it to the public. People have also taped their concerts and it should be no surprise we haven't gotten a concert since 2001!

It's naive to think they didn't do any more concerts because people spoilt it by recording them. They are on the record saying they don't particularly like doing gigs and only do them when asked by their record company. They also say they always want to change up each of their live performances and that they take a month of preparation for each gig they do. After ATP they probably were either just not asked to play at a place they wanted to, not particular interested or they just didn't have the time.

Likewise to old tunes, I for one am totally glad they were recorded because a lot of the unreleased tracks they played haven't seen a release (or only a two second loop in the case of Spiro, lol) when imho some are the best tracks they've ever made but didn't fit on any of their albums. I think recording rare concerts is absolutely righteous.

Don't worry, man, just speculating on this stuff rather than saying it's the out and out truth. It's really all I can do in this drought.

I suppose Warp allowing the 1999 anniversary concert to be played on NTS means there's no bad blood either between the company or the band and the bootlegger.

I theorize the reason the band didn't release the full Spiro was because we already had it.

And I'm mostly basing their reactions on the boxset just on what Autechre said. That "they got weird and started cutting people off." I've read some interviews where they say they are paranoid of being robbed because of all the unreleased music and vintage gear they have. Rightfully so, considering how much people talk about their unreleased music. Sometimes I wonder who's unreleased music gets more mileage out of people, Prince or BOC? :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:lmao at "hexagon son" I want that to be my new username

Lol too late

https://www.twoism.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=140

Dayvan Cowboy
dp wrote:
Echelon wrote:lmao at "hexagon son" I want that to be my new username

Lol too late

https://www.twoism.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=140

15 years too late! haha and that was the only good thing about that article too

Eagle Minded
Our man in Japan

Seriously BoC aren't super incredible but I dig their vibe please release some tunes bros

Posts Quantity

Posts Quantity
I have read here or somewhere on Twoism that they might release theirold stuff. This is a fairy tale that I have read here for years (before Tomorrow's Hard-vest).

If they come back it is likely they do it in the form of a new album. These seven years off can only be excused if they claim that they have produced a new album. I don't see them bringing AFOT after these many years.

Dayvan Cowboy
In tribute to the spirit of Opothecary (wherever he may be) I'd just like to state the BOC twitter is at 69 tweets.

Now for the intrigue: They already retweeted the re-release of High Scores so the 70th tweet can't be that :lol:

Still, in all seriousness, we may as well watch the BOC transmission. June 9th is coming up and maybe, they're going to make something coincide with that. I don't expect much to happen but it's all we can do nowadays

Dayvan Cowboy
747Music wrote:In that thread Cupz posted, quoting mdg, vballs wrote:
vballs wrote:Happy days :) Now off to boardsofcanada.com (or whatever) to press F5 repeatedly haha..

...Has anyone checked up on him!?!?!

Bringing this to attention. Why? Because it's hilarious.

It was from two years ago so even the corpse decayed. :lol:

Eagle Minded
I would love a new Meat Beat Manifesto remix from the brothers!... been listening to them a lot and damn. I think meat beat is everything i like in electronic music... BoC’s remix of Prima Audio Soup has to be my fav remix done by them.... so good

Eagle Minded
Submissions on r/boardsofcanada have all of a sudden been restricted to only "approved" users. Why?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada