GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:.
The one thing we do know is that there's a lot of paying tribute to the community over the last seven years and even during the ARG so I wouldn't be surprised if the fifth IG post involves a fan video too. If it's something totally new, that's even better though! I guess we'll see whenever this drops.

But each video has been for a song off a BOC LO, so I’m not sure how that would work!
Last edited by writetomhatcher on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:Again, the fans steering the narrative.

Always is and always will be. I don't think there has ever been a "theory" about what BoC might do in the future or an analysis of why they did something in their career that has been proven correct. On the rare occasions when BoC do try to take control over the narrative ("We're always going to be working on music", "we're not weird occultists", "we're just normal people who are interested in niche subjects sometimes") that always gets completely ignored because people want them to be mythic, strange and otherworldly beings. No one knows if the band even had anything to do with the TH ARG or whether they just sent warp an email to approve it as an idea, no one knows if they have any say over the social media accounts or what they "like" no one knows, so people fill in the blanks with all kinds of crazy things.

Someone pointed out earlier in the thread that Warp are currently promoting the new Autechre release and previous form indicates that a BoC release is unlikely any time soon due to this but a lot of people will ignore that because people don't like to think that BoC are just a conventional band who are signed to a decent label and will be bound by promotion strategy and marketing processes, people want to believe that BoC are separate from all of that and it doesn't apply to them but it does and it always will while they're with Warp.

Reading back over this post it looks like I'm judging people and I am sorry if it comes across like that, believe me I will be fanboying over anything that we know is official (like the hellinterface banner) and I don't think I am superior to anyone here in my thoughts. It's just that the real stuff keeps getting lost in all the noise and bullshit and I'm tired of checking this thread to see if there's anything more from an official source only to see three pages of discussion about some random posting coordinates in a Youtube comment or something :cry:

Friendly Stranger
IronMark wrote:I'm tired of checking this thread to see if there's anything more from an official source only to see three pages of discussion about some random posting coordinates in a Youtube comment or something :cry:

No more speculation in the speculation thread!

Eagle Minded
I love coming here and seeing all the wild theories

Friendly Stranger
demo wrote:What if BoC have planned to only ever release 6 albums in total?

When we think about the image of the hexagon and what it represents to BoC, maybe they have their whole musical career planned out? It would mean we have 2 more albums to go, spacing them decades apart is probably a good thing if that was the case. This is pure speculation, but something about this theory makes me feel good.

The idea that they would either stop creating or stop releasing music “just because” does not make me feel good. If it were Kanye West it wouldn't bother me a bit, but I genuinely don’t understand how “less music from an artist you like” is at all appealing.

Once again...

Please don't post photos, or personal information about the band which aren't in the public domain as 'Boards of Canada'. This includes school photos, student photos, family information, business information etc etc etc.

I feel we really shouldn't need to explain this to people.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:I love coming here and seeing all the wild theories

Good because I'm going to keep creating them haha. :D
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Skyraider wrote:
IronMark wrote:I'm tired of checking this thread to see if there's anything more from an official source only to see three pages of discussion about some random posting coordinates in a Youtube comment or something :cry:

New release speculation, not speculation about random posts on social media that could literally be the work of anyone.

I'm not saying it should be banned, silenced or censored at all, just expressing my opinion that I'm not a big fan. Others are, such is life. No Biggie.

Sherbet Head
I’d like to apologize to the forum at large. It was definitely not my intent to ‘dox’ or in any other way breach the privacy of the band. Thanks to Mexicola for being cool about it.

Dayvan Cowboy
IronMark wrote:
Skyraider wrote:

New release speculation, not speculation about random posts on social media that could literally be the work of anyone.

I'm not saying it should be banned, silenced or censored at all, just expressing my opinion that I'm not a big fan. Others are, such is life. No Biggie.

I kind of wish someone official from Hexagon Sun would let us know who exactly is liking the posts. I think that would actually put a lot of these posts you don't like to rest. Because until we actually know, people are going to talk about the likes and if they have any significance.

Perhaps this is the great BOC enigma post TH and they catered it exactly to the social media age :lol:

Eagle Minded
I have no crazy theories, no numerology, and I didn't sacrifice a goat or anything else to arrive at this conclusion...but my guess for the next IG post, marking their 5th post, from the only full length album not yet represented:

Telephastic Workshop, specifically this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orG5TIOU8Ts

Don't know why, but I have a good feeling about the IG page being theirs, and this will be the next post. Soon...ish.
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Eagle Minded
drixlin wrote:I have no crazy theories, no numerology, and I didn't sacrifice a goat or anything else to arrive at this conclusion...but my guess for the next IG post, marking their 5th post, from the only full length album not yet represented:

Telephastic Workshop, specifically this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orG5TIOU8Ts

Don't know why, but I have a good feeling about the IG page being theirs, and this will be the next post. Soon...ish.

Olson was the first post. am I missing something here?
no information at this moment in time

Eagle Minded
Nope, just me being a dumbass.

I'm a better lurker than problem solver. I'll see myself out...
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

northernlite wrote:I’d like to apologize to the forum at large. It was definitely not my intent to ‘dox’ or in any other way breach the privacy of the band. Thanks to Mexicola for being cool about it.

No harm done. Relax ;-)

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Some of you have been talking about the possible “space theme” for the 5th LP.

Speculating, if so, It would maybe be a cool idea to use this video for the 5th IG video since it has space imagery, it’s the only official video - but manipulate it to hide something new embedded in it to hint towards a 5th album.

https://youtu.be/A2zKARkpDW4

I personally find it a bit hard to see BoC going full on “space” theme - since many of the themes of their work is grounded in some way back to earth, nature, environment, place, people, life, living and the like.

Also the “space” album concept is a bit trite nowadays in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayvan Cowboy
drixlin wrote:Nope, just me being a dumbass.

I'm a better lurker than problem solver. I'll see myself out...

Not embarrassing at all my friend. Especially when you remember I was dead set on them performing at Shibuya (or whereever it was) and it turned out to be the band, !!!

Edit: Also just an update on the Bleep inquiry: they never responded. First time that's ever happened. They usually respond in one working day (excluding weekends) but not this time. I'm starting to feel that people want this to be a mystery.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:I kind of wish someone official from Hexagon Sun would let us know who exactly is liking the posts. I think that would actually put a lot of these posts you don't like to rest. Because until we actually know, people are going to talk about the likes and if they have any significance.

Perhaps this is the great BOC enigma post TH and they catered it exactly to the social media age :lol:

Why wouldn’t BoC be running their own account?

I've seen a few people saying "oh, it couldn't possibly be them" but to me that just sounds like part of the tendency to over-mystify them. They’re not total luddites or anything, and it's not like they're such big celebrities they can't be bothered with social media. They're not hugely social but we have no reason to believe they despise their fans so much they can't spend a couple of minutes a day liking posts.

To me their account activity seems very much in the band's communication style- vague hints, nothing more. And the allegation that there's someone at Warp HQ running their social media account sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Echelon wrote:I kind of wish someone official from Hexagon Sun would let us know who exactly is liking the posts. I think that would actually put a lot of these posts you don't like to rest. Because until we actually know, people are going to talk about the likes and if they have any significance.

Why wouldn’t BoC be running their own account?

I've seen a few people saying "oh, it couldn't possibly be them" but to me that just sounds like part of the tendency to over-mystify them. They’re not total luddites or anything, and it's not like they're such big celebrities they can't be bothered with social media. They're not hugely social but we have no reason to believe they despise their fans so much they can't spend a couple of minutes a day liking posts.

To me their account activity seems very much in the band's communication style- vague hints, nothing more. And the allegation that there's someone at Warp HQ running their social media account sounds like a conspiracy theory.

agreed 100%. the thing I always hear is “they hate the internet, they hate social media!!!” and yes while they did seem very cynical to the ideal of social media (and the internet in general) in past interviews, people change. I think they’ve gotten over themselves a little bit and realized that running a twitter/instagram account won’t destroy their morals.

the idea that BoC wouldn’t be running their accounts because it doesn’t seem “BoC-like” is a direct contradiction because does letting some random Warp intern run their entire online presence sound “BoC-like”? no not at all, remember when they said they had trust issues.
no information at this moment in time

Sherbet Head
PerniciousKnid wrote:Some of you have been talking about the possible “space theme” for the 5th LP.

Speculating, if so, It would maybe be a cool idea to use this video for the 5th IG video since it has space imagery, it’s the only official video - but manipulate it to hide something new embedded in it to hint towards a 5th album.

I personally find it a bit hard to see BoC going full on “space” theme - since many of the themes of their work is grounded in some way back to earth, nature, environment, place, people, life, living and the like.

Also the “space” album concept is a bit trite nowadays in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's go bigger than imagining space as a theme for BoC's next album. What about space as the way BoC delivers music and content? For example, SpaceX has its Starlink program which is deploying thousands of miniature satellites in Earth orbit with the goal of making access to space-based telecommunications relatively cheap. People are already thinking that in the very near future cell phone plans will be obsolete and satellite telephony will be the norm. I don't know if that's for sure, but we'll know soon.

My point in bringing up Starlink was that these mini-satellites are designed to transmit and receive from space to anywhere on Earth -- that would include New Zealand. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Josh on Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts Quantity
PerniciousKnid wrote:it’s the only official video

Let’s not forget Reach for the Dead! :)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada