GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Regardless friends, look at the bright side. At least we're not in 2014. Imagine being a BOC fan at that time: "Surely their next release is right around the corner" XD

Though it is a shame they never continued on after their comeback album like Richard did with some interesting EPs. A big "what-if" for the 2010s.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Though it is a shame they never continued on after their comeback album like Richard did with some interesting EPs. A big "what-if" for the 2010s.

a boc soundcloud dump. just imagine
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Regardless friends, look at the bright side. At least we're not in 2014. Imagine being a BOC fan at that time: "Surely their next release is right around the corner" XD

Though it is a shame they never continued on after their comeback album like Richard did with some interesting EPs. A big "what-if" for the 2010s.

We were expecting an ep around 2014, coming on Aug-22. Didnt hurt much, cause TH was still fresh and it was so much excitment to speculate what and when they release next.

Now it is different thing, now if you say go speculate more, I would say ger out of here. The problem with BOC is that their music is so sparse, you just listen to the same hundred of times. It is gold of course, just a little insane. Thats why it is vital they do something with their back catalogue when they release new music.

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:Now it is different thing, now if you say go speculate more, I would say ger out of here. The problem with BOC is that their music is so sparse, you just listen to the same hundred of times. It is gold of course, just a little insane. Thats why it is vital they do something with their back catalogue when they release new music.

Hit the nail on the head, does anyone remember when pitchfork put out that article "don’t get too excited about a new boards of canada album just yet" in late 2012, how ironic that less than a year later TH came out.
My question is, what’s BoC’s press appeal? Basically, could you see pitchfork (or any music website) writing that now?

There just isn’t enough publicised hype for a new album, apart from you good people on twoism & reddit.

Some options for the million pound question. phone a friend anyone?

A: Press release from warp telling us will not be a new BoC album (I stress this is unlikely)
OR
B: Our theories are correct about the production lag, and 2022 is looking more likely...for something<———— hoping it’s that one :D

Just to say, I’m not as skeptical about a new BoC as that makes out! :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:We were expecting an ep around 2014, coming on Aug-22. Didnt hurt much, cause TH was still fresh and it was so much excitment to speculate what and when they release next.

Now it is different thing, now if you say go speculate more, I would say ger out of here. The problem with BOC is that their music is so sparse, you just listen to the same hundred of times. It is gold of course, just a little insane. Thats why it is vital they do something with their back catalogue when they release new music.

Back in 2014 I wasn't expecting anything in the next year or even any time remotely soon. There was the whole "Harvest Ritual" thing, which we theorized might be the Trans Canada Highway of TH, but the 822 in the TH album art photos was never supposed to be a date. It was a Bible verse.

Genesis 8:22- "As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night shall not cease."

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
arvy wrote:Now it is different thing, now if you say go speculate more, I would say ger out of here. The problem with BOC is that their music is so sparse, you just listen to the same hundred of times. It is gold of course, just a little insane. Thats why it is vital they do something with their back catalogue when they release new music.

Hit the nail on the head, does anyone remember when pitchfork put out that article "don’t get too excited about a new boards of canada album just yet" in late 2012, how ironic that less than a year later TH came out.
My question is, what’s BoC’s press appeal? Basically, could you see pitchfork (or any music website) writing that now?

There just isn’t enough publicised hype for a new album, apart from you good people on twoism & reddit.

Some options for the million pound question. phone a friend anyone?

A: Press release from warp telling us will not be a new BoC album (I stress this is unlikely)
OR
B: Our theories are correct about the production lag, and 2022 is looking more likely...for something<———— hoping it’s that one :D

Just to say, I’m not as skeptical about a new BoC as that makes out! :wink:

I think BOC fucked with their head, or at least slipt in to unknown after time. Remember the influention likes Anthony Fantano, who gave praise on a release, but ultimately gave them a 6/10, for tracks like Uritual being surprisingly uneventful for Boards of Canada.

Wheres he now? Came back to obscurity, or Boards of Canada is just too obscure for likes of him.

One thing for certain, it is very hard to say what time next BOC album will come. Easier answer would be, that they just operate on a different timeline. Unconventional and isolated.

Boqurant
If there's anyone knowledgeable enough about Warp, it might prove useful to point out if there have been any moments in the label's history where their patience ran thin and persuaded a musician to release an album by a certain date in the past. Warp seems to strike me as a label that has always been very lax in releasing records in favor of artistic integrity. And if that is the case, BoC could take another few years if they wanted to. If you ask me, this isn't surprising for a group where the members are pushing their 50s nowadays.

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:

Is this really true that nobody really cares about BOC anymore but these places? I always thought they were big in the electronic world, but I could be wrong since I'm an uber fan.

I still find it tough believing that Nightmares on Wax are a more popular group because of all the fanfare BOC have received over the years. But if they are, it's a sign of the times I guess.

Dayvan Cowboy
I cannot for the life of me see Warp successfully convincing BOC to release a new album by a certain date.

Steve Beckett said it himself in an interview- BOC are absolute perfectionists, and they operate on a different timeline from everyone else.

Eagle Minded
"BoC, you have 6 days to make an album."

I'd actually be curious to hear them do a speed challenge like make an album in a day. That and an entire shitpost album would be amazing.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Is this really true that nobody really cares about BOC anymore but these places? I always thought they were big in the electronic world, but I could be wrong since I'm an uber fan.

I still find it tough believing that Nightmares on Wax are a more popular group because of all the fanfare BOC have received over the years. But if they are, it's a sign of the times I guess.

It's possible, at least when it comes to those that actually follow and keep tabs on their activity. Since they fall into a more ambient style of electronic music, I occasionally wonder how well they stand out as background music in the current methods of hearing new music, like through youtube videos and various playlists/mixes. I know decently popular youtuber "Wavywebsurf" has used their music in the background from TH to Old Tunes. They could be on their way to becoming "your favorite band's favorite band", of course none of that really matters much since their fanbase is pretty diehard.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:
Echelon wrote: of course none of that really matters much since their fanbase is pretty diehard.

This is probably why they never have to worry. Whenever they finally come out with something everyone on here and reddit is going to buy all formats. I know I am XD

Pretty sure their back catalog frequently runs out and gets restocked too

Friendly Stranger
I'm not sure whether it will help anyone else in this thread, particularly because I consider myself a bit of a stranger here, but I try to remind myself that uncertain things remain indifferent to any of our attempts to impose certainty upon them.

I lived a good bit of my life fearing an uncertain end and obsessing endlessly over some of the more disturbing mysteries in the basement of the human soul before I finally realized that. I try not to regret having spent so much time losing myself in the rabbit holes of my mind, but every so often I do wonder what else I could have done with my life during those years. I'm more at peace with myself now, living with still unanswered questions about human nature, but knowing better what to avoid knowing.

BoC's music was relevant to my experience, both then and now, as I plunged myself into the depths of uncertainty, realized all I got out of it was a more profound sadness, and then resigned myself to my ignorance before finally moving on. I find it difficult to explain how exactly their music was so relevant, except to say that some album or another formed part of the soundtrack of my mind as I weathered those times. As I listen again to those old albums, I'm reminded that I've made it this far, and am happy for it.

I'm confident that whatever they release next, whenever that might be, it'll be relevant to each of us and our experiences, however we understand ourselves. There always seems to be something new to discover in BoC's music, and I'm certain that the next release will be no exception as it eventually integrates itself into the soundtrack of our minds.
ἱμείρω ἡσυχίας

Dayvan Cowboy
^^^^
Post of the year! very well written :)

I do spend quite a bit of time nowadays procrastinating about the future and not spending enough time in the present, so can relate to what you’ve said quite a bit, especially at this point in time.
BoC being the soundtrack of our minds couldn’t have been put better. :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Is this really true that nobody really cares about BOC anymore but these places? I always thought they were big in the electronic world, but I could be wrong since I'm an uber fan.

BOC are one of the biggest electronic music groups in history. There are a lot of people out there who love their music, but aren't necessarily following their every appearance, remix, etc.

Once there's any serious hint of a new release tho, hype Will explode just like it did when the first "– ------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------" record appeared.

Friendly Stranger
Nightmares on wax might have more listeners but my best guess is that it's the few hits that people are listening to rather than the artist in general. I have heard boards of Canada used as background music on YouTube videos more times than I can count yet I've never heard a nightmares on wax song outside of when im listening intentionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayvan Cowboy
I can't even name a single Nightmares on Wax song. Not sure I've ever even heard them.

Dayvan Cowboy
dp wrote:I can't even name a single Nightmares on Wax song. Not sure I've ever even heard them.
Don't worry, NoW doesn't exist. He was just a collective figment of our imagination, almost like a, what's the word, bad dream
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
Good. Glad I didn't miss anything.

Dayvan Cowboy
This speaks for itself :D

phpBB [media]

"First fucking daft punk abandon us, without so much as a warning. Then the whole world starts to end with a fucking virus! I’ve had enough of it, what the fuck happened to the world?
It seemed like only yesterday when I was watching BoC at the Warp10 party with STALIN!
Telephasic workshop. When the beat kicked in, some dickhead knocked over Stalin’s Bloody Mary. It went all fucking over me. I was fuming. It was 1999"

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada