GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
dp wrote:I can't even name a single Nightmares on Wax song. Not sure I've ever even heard them.

You've probably heard "You Wish" or "Les Nuits" before, if you've ever listened to any chill-out or trip hop radio station/mix.

Incidentally, those two songs being on every other Spotify playlist are probably singlehandedly driving up NoW's stats.

Eagle Minded
What's with the hate on NoW? They have nothing to do with BOC.

I speculate that new material they release will see a return to MHTRTC and Geogaddi. Hopefully very psychedelic but also a bit less synthetic as well

Dayvan Cowboy
NTFMTS wrote:What's with the hate on NoW? They have nothing to do with BOC.

No idea, but I find it funny.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
I only brought up Nightmares On Wax for one reason: That they had more listens on Spotify than BOC. This made me curious if Nightmares on Wax were actually a bigger group, or at least a bigger group now.

Only reason I care about this is because Warp prioritized NOW over BOC for this season. Though it could be NOW's records were ready to go before BOCs were.

No hate for them, or any of the other groups on Warp. Though I'm sure everyone agrees this year was sorely lacking in IDM.

PS: Only NOW I've ever heard was "Fishtail Parker" on Warp10. Wasn't the best song on the album, but it was a lot better than the track that kept repeating, "I eat all the hot dogs, like I wear my bikini."
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Friendly Stranger
I expect that the success of Smokers Delight, a much more chilled album than most Warp releases of the time, was one of the contributing factors in Warp signing BoC.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:I only brought up Nightmares On Wax for one reason: That they had more listens on Spotify than BOC. This made me curious if Nightmares on Wax were actually a bigger group, or at least a bigger group now.

Only reason I care about this is because Warp prioritized NOW over BOC for this season. Though it could be NOW's records were ready to go before BOCs were.

No hate for them, or any of the other groups on Warp. Though I'm sure everyone agrees this year was sorely lacking in IDM.

PS: Only NOW I've ever heard was "Fishtail Parker" on Warp10. Wasn't the best song on the album, but it was a lot better than the track that kept repeating, "I eat all the hot dogs, like I wear my bikini."

I'll say this, I've seen enough of Yves Tumor for a few years at this point. I feel Warp's newer signings have been somewhat lacking, but that's just an opinion.

Eagle Minded
burst__of__indigo wrote:I'll say this, I've seen enough of Yves Tumor for a few years at this point. I feel Warp's newer signings have been somewhat lacking, but that's just an opinion.

Yves Tumor is pretty good, imo. I get that it's pretty far from the 'traditional' Warp sound though.

Oddly enough, his pre-Warp output would likely be a much better fit for the label than the stuff he's putting out now. Before the recent rock/R&B anthems (which I still enjoy btw) he was mostly known for electronic/ambient/noise material.

Posts Quantity
Sherbet Head wrote:
burst__of__indigo wrote:I'll say this, I've seen enough of Yves Tumor for a few years at this point. I feel Warp's newer signings have been somewhat lacking, but that's just an opinion.

Yves Tumor is pretty good, imo. I get that it's pretty far from the 'traditional' Warp sound though.

Oddly enough, his pre-Warp output would likely be a much better fit for the label than the stuff he's putting out now. Before the recent rock/R&B anthems (which I still enjoy btw) he was mostly known for electronic/ambient/noise material.

Interesting - I will have to give his pre-Warp stuff a listen. The persona seems almost too theatrical/baroque for Warp which might be my hang-up (irrationally so) with it. Labels should be free to go in whichever direction they please, after all.

Eagle Minded
Dang, it's so quite.

Where are my backpackers at? I was listening to Tribe Called Quest's "Rhythm (Devoted To The Art Of Moving Butts)" song the other day and noticed the synth sample throughout. It struck me when I first heard it as a kid, and now realize that might have been my first exposure to "ambient." So I just looked it up, and the sample comes from Grace Jones' "Pull Up To The Bumper (12 inch)."

All the great ones use Grace, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OadUNx9uow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNm5g2dkkTY

Sample @ :27.

Posts Quantity

I speculate that new material they release will see a return to MHTRTC and Geogaddi. Hopefully very psychedelic but also a bit less synthetic as well

There's a bunch of people arguing that that Warp sucks now because of a bunch of specific artists under the label. They complain that Warp's music is getting lazy and too abstract nowadays (despite being the record label of Autechre, Mira Calix, etc. for decades who are all weird as hell).
Fly!

Eagle Minded
sandrail wrote:

There's a bunch of people arguing that that Warp sucks now because of a bunch of specific artists under the label. They complain that Warp's music is getting lazy and too abstract nowadays (despite being the record label of Autechre, Mira Calix, etc. for decades who are all weird as hell).

That's really funny to me because they still put out fantastic material including Squid's full length which is so good

Dayvan Cowboy

I'm not "hating" on him at all, I actually like his music. Just stating a fact- he ends up with more plays than BOC probably because he has a couple of hits that have ended up on a ton of playlists and radio stations.

Pretty much anyone who's listened to electronic or chill out radio will recognize "You Wish" and "Les Nuits."

Eagle Minded
I'm glad Warp are branching out into new territory while still having the time for their veterans to put out stuff (Squarepusher and AE dropped full lengths last year, Seefeel released some archival material this year). You can't have the same IDM sound forever, and stagnation on one sound can be what kills many labels. Warp are still as relevant as ever IMO, and they clearly haven't forgotten about their 'classic' artists.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
It's funny, but I think the best "newer" Warp artists are those with the closest ties to IDM. OPN, Flylo and Bibio are the spiritual successors to the big four of the 90s

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:It's funny, but I think the best "newer" Warp artists are those with the closest ties to IDM. OPN, Flylo and Bibio are the spiritual successors to the big four of the 90s

I feel that, as a musician who has worked a lot with labels and recording engineers, that as time progresses, people age. Lives change. New people are born and then social mentality will often times change with it. Some artists quit. Some artists keep going. For some they choose not to hash out singles every week as that would easily dilute the integrity of the artist’s craft. Younger upcoming artists that don’t already have their foot in the door in regards to fanbase, most often were the ones hashing out tons of tracks weekly if not daily. Some artists are shy and choose not to be as public as others. This is easily understandable. I do not think Warp is bad or irrelevant even in their popular material. Times are not the 90’s anymore and musical tastes in regards to the largest demographic of individuals who purchase music are the youth of today. They drive what is. Always have. R and B is huge in mainstream right now so that makes sense to me as to why they have booked more artists within that frame of genres. Albeit still weird and abstract that still fits well with who they originally were as a label. They still release new stuff all the time from the classics like what Seefeel just did and I have been regularly keeping in contact with seefeel and they haven’t ruled out new albums or even playing with BoC again. I directly asked them about all that and while the BoC question seemed like wishful thinking at least they were very hopeful to it all. Warp is still my favorite label today with Skam and other labels like them and can’t wait to see what is next.

Dayvan Cowboy
The best thing is, we're finally nearing the time for something new from Warp. Even if it's not BOC, I predict there will be a new album announced next week since next week, Calix will be out.

Eagle Minded
the fact that they played melissa juice on today's amks.live stream makes me a little more hopeful :)
phpBB [media]
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
NorthSaturnian wrote:the fact that they played melissa juice on today's amks.live stream makes me a little more hopeful :)
phpBB [media]

That's wonderful. Always nice to have a positive reminder of BOC's existence in the universe.

I'll also add that MDG logged in today. Is that a coincidence since the gates are clearing for Warp to announce something?

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
NorthSaturnian wrote:the fact that they played melissa juice on today's amks.live stream makes me a little more hopeful :)
phpBB [media]

That's wonderful. Always nice to have a positive reminder of BOC's existence in the universe.

I'll also add that MDG logged in today. Is that a coincidence since the gates are clearing for Warp to announce something?

and also, there were some clips of protect and survive on amks.live, the same ones from boc's live@ATP gig
coincidence? i think.. yes :cry:
yes, i would love to be free!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada