GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Let me think, since TH release there was a new Aphex twin album, Half Life3 was announced, new Kojima game was released, Blade Runner 2049 was released and now basically Nolan's Inception part 2 was announced...what is next?

Eagle Minded
arvy wrote:Let me think, since TH release there was a new Aphex twin album, Half Life3 was announced, new Kojima game was released, Blade Runner 2049 was released and now basically Nolan's Inception part 2 was announced...what is next?

The seas are going to part...
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Dayvan Cowboy
It will happen when the weather cools. That's when they'll drop their album. The plans laid long ago, before the founding of Warp, and older still, will come to fruition.

I apologise that the last few posts have just been me altering copypasta to be relevant to BoC.

Boqurant
Valotonin wrote:It will happen when the weather cools. That's when they'll drop their album. The plans laid long ago, before the founding of Warp, and older still, will come to fruition.

I apologise that the last few posts have just been me altering copypasta to be relevant to BoC.

I have always wondered about that myself, as a fan it seems like the band has some kind of roadmap. Tomorrow's Harvest has been found to have palindromic qualities to it, is it possible that the album itself is some sort of crux or hinge in a predetermined timeline? Tough to say I suppose until one sees a body of work as a whole, but it's fun to guess.

And just for the record I laughed at the last few posts of yours, a good sense of humor is always valuable methinks, hehehe.

Dayvan Cowboy
reflex17 wrote:I have always wondered about that myself, as a fan it seems like the band has some kind of roadmap. Tomorrow's Harvest has been found to have palindromic qualities to it, is it possible that the album itself is some sort of crux or hinge in a predetermined timeline? Tough to say I suppose until one sees a body of work as a whole, but it's fun to guess.

And just for the record I laughed at the last few posts of yours, a good sense of humor is always valuable methinks, hehehe.

Ah thank you hah. Aye, I agree to a certain extent and I think you are on to something there. Part of me does feel that there are set events that have to take place, ones that are inevitable if thought about for long enough, before BoC will release an album that fits into the subject matter extremely well. How do you expand from Tomorrow's Harvest, though? I can imagine the album underway is a difficult one. I am sure they will surprise us, though. There is always a rebirth after collapse, so potentially hearing more natural sounds as opposed to an extension of the Brave new World we have to endure for however many decades to come, although that isn't unwelcome and hearing it in TH was the most distilled and direct essence of it that one could have imagined.

Boqurant
Valotonin wrote:Ah thank you hah. Aye, I agree to a certain extent and I think you are on to something there. Part of me does feel that there are set events that have to take place, ones that are inevitable if thought about for long enough, before BoC will release an album that fits into the subject matter extremely well. How do you expand from Tomorrow's Harvest, though? I can imagine the album underway is a difficult one. I am sure they will surprise us, though. There is always a rebirth after collapse, so potentially hearing more natural sounds as opposed to an extension of the Brave new World we have to endure for however many decades to come, although that isn't unwelcome and hearing it in TH was the most distilled and direct essence of it that one could have imagined.

For sure, I still remember on first listen to TH how distinct it was from the previous albums and how pointed the atmosphere was, it was seemingly less intentionally vague/dreamlike than their other music but still mysterious in it's own way and more suspenseful for it, I think. I have noticed how the remixes that have come out since kind of fit along with the narrative of collapse and 'new seeds', there was the Nevermen mix with reference to nuclear winter, but then came Sisters which was extremely warm in comparison. "Sometimes" has again that kind of knowing sadness that sounds, to me, like the feeling of loss, dealing with that situation and hopefully overcoming it and moving forward. Like Geogaddi before it there seems to be a happy ending, but it's not necessarily "sundown", it seems to be the material that's been released since then that really tie up the themes and give them a fresh perspective. Like all of us I'm extremely excited to see what comes next from the band of course, whenever that happens to be.

Dayvan Cowboy
reflex17 wrote:
Valotonin wrote:Ah thank you hah. Aye, I agree to a certain extent and I think you are on to something there. Part of me does feel that there are set events that have to take place, ones that are inevitable if thought about for long enough, before BoC will release an album that fits into the subject matter extremely well. How do you expand from Tomorrow's Harvest, though? I can imagine the album underway is a difficult one. I am sure they will surprise us, though. There is always a rebirth after collapse, so potentially hearing more natural sounds as opposed to an extension of the Brave new World we have to endure for however many decades to come, although that isn't unwelcome and hearing it in TH was the most distilled and direct essence of it that one could have imagined.

For sure, I still remember on first listen to TH how distinct it was from the previous albums and how pointed the atmosphere was, it was seemingly less intentionally vague/dreamlike than their other music but still mysterious in it's own way and more suspenseful for it, I think. I have noticed how the remixes that have come out since kind of fit along with the narrative of collapse and 'new seeds', there was the Nevermen mix with reference to nuclear winter, but then came Sisters which was extremely warm in comparison. "Sometimes" has again that kind of knowing sadness that sounds, to me, like the feeling of loss, dealing with that situation and hopefully overcoming it and moving forward. Like Geogaddi before it there seems to be a happy ending, but it's not necessarily "sundown", it seems to be the material that's been released since then that really tie up the themes and give them a fresh perspective. Like all of us I'm extremely excited to see what comes next from the band of course, whenever that happens to be.

Honestly I decide to proceed a some kind of a test, just for a little fun. Yesterday my friend came to me. She don't listen to Boards of Canada. She's not in to electronic music at all. And while we ate my place, drinking coffee, chatting and so on. i'm putting my vinyls to spin from all thei main records.

And I notice how good is to listen to TH with someone who are not in to BOC or any electronica at all. That dreadly drone sound of Semena Mertvykh, or dramatic drop of Come to Dust a just hitting that perfect spot all arround. Second album I relised is pretty good to listen arround people is MHTRTC. It is unconventional, still heady, but very light. Like music for the dead friendly soul.
For example Geogadi is almost impossible to listen arround other people. It is heavy on your ears. It is at times so too weird, that it feels that it is aged not so well. And TCH is just all arrounf the place. Some tracks are totall bangers some flops..

Anyway, I can't wait for the next BOC record. For BOC to put their tentacles in to my collective brain. I'm going fof the later winter release.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:
reflex17 wrote:I have always wondered about that myself, as a fan it seems like the band has some kind of roadmap. Tomorrow's Harvest has been found to have palindromic qualities to it, is it possible that the album itself is some sort of crux or hinge in a predetermined timeline? Tough to say I suppose until one sees a body of work as a whole, but it's fun to guess.

Ah thank you hah. Aye, I agree to a certain extent and I think you are on to something there. Part of me does feel that there are set events that have to take place, ones that are inevitable if thought about for long enough, before BoC will release an album that fits into the subject matter extremely well. How do you expand from Tomorrow's Harvest, though? I can imagine the album underway is a difficult one. I am sure they will surprise us, though. There is always a rebirth after collapse, so potentially hearing more natural sounds as opposed to an extension of the Brave new World we have to endure for however many decades to come, although that isn't unwelcome and hearing it in TH was the most distilled and direct essence of it that one could have imagined.

I agree about the theme of TH. It was 100% deliberate and not even as hidden as something as say Geogaddi. I just recently finally read the lyrics for “Split Your Infinities” and it made my jaw drop.... I was on a cognitive “truth” searching adventure around the same time TH came out and in my local area, the FEMA camp became recently utilized and started showing black trucks and vans and I actually met someone who worked their and confirmed some of the speculation at that time. Debunked others. But after reading the lyrics yesterday for the first time this album haunts me even more.... the lengths at which they went for this theme is undeniably deep.... and dark haha

Posts Quantity
Soul_Slip wrote:
Valotonin wrote:

I agree about the theme of TH. It was 100% deliberate and not even as hidden as something as say Geogaddi. I just recently finally read the lyrics for “Split Your Infinities” and it made my jaw drop.... I was on a cognitive “truth” searching adventure around the same time TH came out and in my local area, the FEMA camp became recently utilized and started showing black trucks and vans and I actually met someone who worked their and confirmed some of the speculation at that time. Debunked others. But after reading the lyrics yesterday for the first time this album haunts me even more.... the lengths at which they went for this theme is undeniably deep.... and dark haha

I remember stuff like that happening in my neck of the woods (Northeast US); gotta say I never thought to look at the lyrics for Split Your Infinities, and having just done so, I'm in the same boat. To me, the bros absolutely nailed it with this album. I know it's not people's favorites; it took me some time to appreciate it from my perspective, but it has such a sense of detachment and dread that rings true to what they intended to do with it. It really feels like a film score for some obscure 1970s sci-fi flick.

It also feels twice as long when one indulges in some green goods... :wink:

Eagle Minded
Yes. Same here, and the way they incorporated those lyrics with “cadence”, they are almost rapping or like saying it as a poem rhythm. That song is so different to me now ha. Lately TH has been growing deeper for me. I am picking up on sounds and samples I didn’t hear at first.

Dayvan Cowboy
Soul_Slip wrote:Yes. Same here, and the way they incorporated those lyrics with “cadence”, they are almost rapping or like saying it as a poem rhythm. That song is so different to me now ha. Lately TH has been growing deeper for me. I am picking up on sounds and samples I didn’t hear at first.

Isn't "lyrics" pushing it a bit? IIRC it's just audio from a conspiracy video of a woman at an abandoned (or defunct) FEMA site making wild speculations. Source below.

phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
Looks like a City 17 vacation centre.

Eagle Minded
ryetronics wrote:
Soul_Slip wrote:Yes. Same here, and the way they incorporated those lyrics with “cadence”, they are almost rapping or like saying it as a poem rhythm. That song is so different to me now ha. Lately TH has been growing deeper for me. I am picking up on sounds and samples I didn’t hear at first.

Isn't "lyrics" pushing it a bit? IIRC it's just audio from a conspiracy video of a woman at an abandoned (or defunct) FEMA site making wild speculations. Source below.

phpBB [media]

No it isn’t stretching anything. They manipulated that spoken word to sound like it has rhythm... mainly in the effects it has. Plus even if debunked it is still a deep topic

Posts Quantity
Bit early but here's to 2020! Wish all you guys a nice and healthy start into the new year :)

Eagle Minded
Kreide wrote:Bit early but here's to 2020! Wish all you guys a nice and healthy start into the new year :)

You too friend! Let’s hope to some new BoC material this year!!

Posts Quantity
God is fake. I'm fake. You're real. :D Look at who's alive. You're dead. I am. Here they come! What do you want, now?

Posts Quantity
We don't give a shit about michael. This is marcus. Not really but, really. Into The Ocean?

Posts Quantity
In reality, you're always found. Innocent. Come get some!

Sherbet Head
wat

Dayvan Cowboy
We've just been xaughed. It was cool. Xaugh, go listen to Hummer, it rules.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada