GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
drixlin wrote:
Echelon wrote:Did anyone ever figure out what the X in Societas X Tape meant?

Anyone think it's the roman numeral for 10? Like Societas 10th Tape? I'm still thinking it might actually be a series of tapes that get released one day.

I always thought of the x to represent "mix".

That's unfortunately the more plausible answer. My mind always dreams up the coolest things in the absence of actual facts :lol:

Maybe wishful thinking too... ;) I thought something similar at first as well...

Dayvan Cowboy
Who here wants a BOC boxset for this lockdown? We should start a petition. (I'm being factious about the petition part but I still think a boxset would help kill some time!)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:Who here wants a BOC boxset for this lockdown? We should start a petition. (I'm being factious about the petition part but I still think a boxset would help kill some time!)

just imagine. old tunes 1,2 and r35tt remastered and some extra goodies 8)
a man can dream.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Who here wants a BOC boxset for this lockdown? We should start a petition. (I'm being factious about the petition part but I still think a boxset would help kill some time!)

We should write a sternly worded letter to their mothers! hahaha

In all seriousness though, if we got the BOCset now, it surely would feel like the end of times
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Eagle Minded
Closes Vol.1 would probably be quite fitting to hear now in these times. Closing the current era, entering the new.

Posts Quantity
bungler666 wrote:Closes Vol.1 would probably be quite fitting to hear now in these times. Closing the current era, entering the new.

heard the conspiracy lately that they just made up the old releases to fill up the catalog. 8)
not sure tho since that one guy made some reviews about the unreleased.

Eagle Minded
Kreide wrote:
bungler666 wrote:Closes Vol.1 would probably be quite fitting to hear now in these times. Closing the current era, entering the new.

heard the conspiracy lately that they just made up the old releases to fill up the catalog. 8)

Well, they've stated themselves that they are real. Why would they lie? If they've made music together since the early 80's they're bound to have a lot of recorded material.

Boqurant
Since songs like 5d, Circle, Wouldn’t You Like to be Free, and Duffy exist and the brothers have mentioned Acid Memories in an interview, I’m pretty confident that they exist. It’s just a matter of hearing them before I die now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle Minded
bungler666 wrote:
Kreide wrote:

Well, they've stated themselves that they are real. Why would they lie? If they've made music together since the early 80's they're bound to have a lot of recorded material.

We know almost for certain that they at least were adamant musicians throughout high school as well as afterwards, based on stories and reports from their friends including Christ. It sounded like they were just as obsessed and mysterious characters as we know them to be today. Wheeltower being an example although we don’t have any recorded material as far as we know although BoC are sneaky and we may have heard them in a sample in a song somewhere or even on Societas.

Dayvan Cowboy
PurpleFlurp wrote: It’s just a matter of hearing them before I die now.

This so much. You don't know how happy and grateful I would be to get to hear those releases in my lifetime.

Friendly Stranger
drixlin wrote:So, kinda weird....
I was watching the fan made Buckie High video tonight and saw a weird looking bit of info in the artist line for the copyright claim...it's not claimed by Boards themselves...but by "Alexander Lynch Totheark".

Now there's this, and more videos. Apologies if this is a repost, couldn't be bothered to comb through everything and search returned nothing for The OST. Quite a convincing pastiche.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Posts Quantity
dcom wrote:
drixlin wrote:So, kinda weird....
I was watching the fan made Buckie High video tonight and saw a weird looking bit of info in the artist line for the copyright claim...it's not claimed by Boards themselves...but by "Alexander Lynch Totheark".

Now there's this, and more videos. Apologies if this is a repost, couldn't be bothered to comb through everything and search returned nothing for The OST. Quite a convincing pastiche.
(YT video link not working.) The OST sounds pretty good. I’ve been away for a long time—what’s the deal with these guys and what’s the speculation about them/him/her?
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Friendly Stranger
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:(YT video link not working.)

It's on the Bandcamp page, too, but here.

Brendan Standing Alone wrote:The OST sounds pretty good. I’ve been away for a long time—what’s the deal with these guys and what’s the speculation about them/him/her?

Alexander Lynch Totheark SoundCloud, Bandcamp
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Posts Quantity
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Dayvan Cowboy
Totheark is a reference to the Marble Hornets YouTube series & ARG about Slenderman, for what it's worth.

During the original release of Marble Hornets, an account called "totheark" would leave cryptic comments on the videos. Totheark would then upload bizarre videos that were often related to or shot in the same areas as the original Marble Hornets videos.

Probably no connection beyond an inspiration for the name, just thought it bore mentioning.

Sherbet Head
The theory that the old albums don't exist and album names were just made up to give them a discography is one that I've considered before. I'm very skeptical that it's true, but I don't rule it out completely. It would be an epic troll!

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:The theory that the old albums don't exist and album names were just made up to give them a discography is one that I've considered before. I'm very skeptical that it's true, but I don't rule it out completely. It would be an epic troll!

People told me BOC had too much dignity to do that to their fanbase but I really believe they would construct their own mythology and mystique. It's a perfect marketing gimmick.

How do you create interest during the ultra long times you take to create albums? You make people clamor for fake ones they'll never had.

And it works! Like I said in the "Positive BOC Coronavirus" thread, I'd love to have these mystical albums during lockdown! Their descriptions (especially Acid Memories, Play by Numbers and Hooper Bay) sound like they'd be masterpieces.

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:The theory that the old albums don't exist and album names were just made up to give them a discography is one that I've considered before. I'm very skeptical that it's true, but I don't rule it out completely. It would be an epic troll!

Not very deep in to BOC back catalogue. But this makes a sense. Tho, what about FOT, Is this a real or fake?

protected wrote:The old albums don't exist and album names were made up to give them a discography.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:
protected wrote:The old albums don't exist and album names were made up to give them a discography.

Starting to lean toward this, too. What better way to add mystery and intrigue to your project than to make up a few albums that nobody will ever get to hear.

Prove me wrong (please).

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada