GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:I was thinking in that direction indeed. But hey I'm not willing to burn witches here. :) I'm just getting more and more skeptical. Especially because it wouldn't surprise me some WATMM members could be having a very big laugh at our expense :)

I think you're way overthinking this and getting too far into the weeds Fredd-E.

Facts:

-The Hell Interface FB account was made on the same date as the Nuevas Semillas video was uploaded, unlisted, to the official YouTube channel. If the page was fake that would be an astronomical coincidence.

-The Sheol Boundary video used a higher quality version of Red Moss than is available to fans, and used a hi-fi version of the exact synth sound from the song. Also, no-one ever claimed responsibility for it.

-BoC is known to have used puppet accounts in the past (i.e. Atalanta Fugiens).

-The Sheol Boundary video was posted in 2013, more than 7 years ago, and Egbdf barely mentioned it at the time. I have a really hard time believing he's masterminding something spread over 8 years.

Boards of Canada, on the other hand, are known to drop crumbs that aren't discovered until years later sometimes (i.e. the 2011 upload of Nuevas Semillas).

-The other, verified channels are also highly active right now.

The evidence that strongly points to all of that stuff being legit has not been overturned or contradicted. My guess is the confusion, the paranoia, is exactly what they're going for here. That fits perfectly with the Discordian attitude as well (see: Operation Mindfuck).

https://discordia.fandom.com/wiki/Operation_Mindfuck
Last edited by SamuraiDrifter on Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
The real Boards of Canda facebook posting a video today kinda feels like, you guys are right, we are the Hell Interfacebook as well.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Eagle Minded
TheStatPow wrote:Read 10 posts above please :|

:| Sorry. Couldn't stop myself from checking if he had posted anything boc related in the past.
yes, i would love to be free!

Boqurant
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:I was thinking in that direction indeed. But hey I'm not willing to burn witches here. :) I'm just getting more and more skeptical. Especially because it wouldn't surprise me some WATMM members could be having a very big laugh at our expense :)

I think you're way overthinking this and getting too far into the weeds Fredd-E.

Facts:

-The Hell Interface FB account was made on the same date as the Nuevas Semillas video was uploaded, unlisted, to the official YouTube channel. If the page was fake that would be an astronomical coincidence.

-The Sheol Boundary video used a higher quality version of Red Moss than is available to fans, and used a hi-fi version of the exact synth sound from the song.

-The Sheol Boundary video was posted in 2013, more than 7 years ago, and Egbdf barely mentioned it at the time. I have a really hard time believing he's masterminding something spread over 8 years.

Boards of Canada, on the other hand, are known to drop crumbs that aren't discovered until years later sometimes (i.e. the 2011 upload of Nuevas Semillas).

The evidence that strongly points to all of that stuff being legit has not been overturned or contradicted. My guess is the confusion, the paranoia, is exactly what they're going for here. That fits perfectly with the Discordian attitude as well (see: Operation Mindfuck).

I definitely agree, the use of ambiguous social media accounts and content is definitely something part of this campaign (or whatever). Since I became fan of the duo right after the release of Reach for dead single, so after the TH campaign, I'm very excited of being part of this new experience

Boqurant
thread 777!

TheStatPow wrote:
ryetronics wrote:Posting this morning on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=26568 ... &ref=notif

That's a nice video. Very wide too, I rarely see videos with this aspect ratio :o

Thanks for the subtle acknowledgment? :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Oh yeah, the choice to post "Heard From Telegraph Lines" feels very intentional in this context.

Boqurant
Fredd-E wrote:
TheStatPow wrote:
ryetronics wrote:Posting this morning on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=26568 ... &ref=notif

That's a nice video. Very wide too, I rarely see videos with this aspect ratio :o

Damn man, you should ask them to become the deputy of MDG :D

Friendly Stranger

Slower, isnt it. Like a few of the others.

Boqurant
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

Facts:

-The Sheol Boundary video used a higher quality version of Red Moss than is available to fans, and used a hi-fi version of the exact synth sound from the song. Also, no-one ever claimed responsibility for it.

-The other, verified channels are also highly active right now.

I have seen discordianism referenced several times.. maybe its a noob question but what is the relationship between boc and discordianism? I don't recall reading about it

Eagle Minded
Well this is quite pleasant

Boqurant
mthrndr wrote:I'd feel a bit more confident if the video had tweaked the James Brown song somehow. If synths and/or beats were added like Midas Touch or Trapped, I'd have less skepticism. Also, Facebook? A bit disappointing if they're using FB to communicate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Mike and Marcus love taking the piss...full stop.

I agree that it's pretty disappointing that the've chosen FB as their platform to communicate and experiment.
I think it has more to do with where they believe a majority of their audience resides. However, FB along with youtube seem to be the places they have the most control over.

Their official twitter seems to come across like it's run by Warp more than them lately.
Maybe thats why Marcus's page has the banner change and not @boctransmission?

Speaking of twitter, there seems to be a slew of new likes lately. Most of them in response to MHTRTC.
Makes you wonder...

Sherbet Head
Fredd-E wrote:

Oooook this is getting weirdly weird.
Suck my BUTT

Boqurant

It’s happening bros! :D
vLG = 627 +- 22 km/s >>> L =276° +- 3: b = 30° +- 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npq_yb-xLmw

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:
TheStatPow wrote:

So how does it feel being a part of Hexagon Sun?
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
MIXL2 wrote:I have seen discordianism referenced several times.. maybe its a noob question but what is the relationship between boc and discordianism? I don't recall reading about it

In the 1998 interview "Age of Aquarius" by Cosmic Crofter, they specifically mention Robert Anton Wilson as a particularly prominent influence (their music later appeared in Robert Anton Wilson: Maybe Logic, a movie about his life and philosophy).

Robert Anton Wilson was the author of The Illuminatus Trilogy and a major player in Discordianism. Boards of Canada have made several references to Illuminatus and Discordianism over the years. You can find a write-up I did listing all the specific references in this thread: BoC + Illuminatus Trilogy & Discordianism

Boqurant
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
MIXL2 wrote:I have seen discordianism referenced several times.. maybe its a noob question but what is the relationship between boc and discordianism? I don't recall reading about it

In the 1998 interview "Age of Aquarius" by Cosmic Crofter, they specifically mention Robert Anton Wilson as a particularly prominent influence (their music later appeared in Robert Anton Wilson: Maybe Logic, a movie about his life and philosophy).

Robert Anton Wilson was the author of The Illuminatus Trilogy and a major player in Discordianism. Boards of Canada have made several references to Illuminatus and Discordianism over the years. You can find a write-up I did listing all the specific references in this thread: BoC + Illuminatus Trilogy & Discordianism

Awesome, cheers!

Eagle Minded
Knifeyspooney wrote:I agree that it's pretty disappointing that the've chosen FB as their platform to communicate and experiment.

This by no means proves the whole thing, but here's one possible explanation for why FB of all platforms. Maybe back when the TH campaign was being planned, they set this account up as an optional vehicle and then didn't use it. As I mentioned above, it would seem that if this is indeed legit, the fact that they haven't made it outright obvious that it's legit (which they could do) implies that inferring that it's legit is the game. If this account is a leftover from the TH campaign, then they just "got lucky" by having an available account that's not obviously real, but thanks to those upload dates, might convince fans that it could be real. Maybe there's not another account with the right balance of plausibility and doubt.
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

TheStatPow wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:

Oooook this is getting weirdly weird.
When I jokingly used that song title to make a statement, I did in fact make a genuine statement. That Reddit rumor was properly shot down and I’m glad the second confirmation is now on their official Facebook page. They must be reading this thread. It can’t be a coincidence anymore now. :)

New Seed
Knifeyspooney wrote:
mthrndr wrote:I agree that it's pretty disappointing that the've chosen FB as their platform to communicate and experiment.
I think it has more to do with where they believe a majority of their audience resides. However, FB along with youtube seem to be the places they have the most control over.

If, and granted it's a BIG if, they are playing with ideas of disinformation, online confusion, conspiracy theories etc then FB is the perfect place for it.

That platform, arguably more than any other, has been responsible for the mainstream spread of loads of weird ideas, conspiracies and other dubious things over the last few years.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada