GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
So where should we be keeping our eyes peeled?

Obviously the Hell Interface YouTube, does BoC have an official website?

Eagle Minded
demo wrote:So where should we be keeping our eyes peeled?

Obviously the Hell Interface YouTube, does BoC have an official website?

Yes, boardsofcanada.com but at the moment it simply directs to their artist page on Bleep.

I'd say BoC's Twitter is still the best avenue we have. We know it's fully legit and that it's managed by the band, or at the very least, a Hexagon Sun representative. Also, it's been by far the most active source of interaction in recent years. I think myself, and many others, may have completely given up hope had it not been for the occasional Twitter check-ins.

Eagle Minded
Hey, here's an observation... (apologies if someone already picked up on this)

Warp's new year sale ends Feb 1st, and it "excludes pre-orders". Nothing too out of the ordinary, right? Except there is currently nothing to pre-order. If they're emphasising this statement, surely it means they have a new release to announce this month? Obviously this doesn't specifically confirm BoC, but couple this with our Warp roster theories on the previous page, and it doesn't seem too unlikely! I will however blast my pants with piss if it's a new Jockstrap EP or summat lol

https://bleep.com/warp-new-year-sale

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:Hey, here's an observation... (apologies if someone already picked up on this)

Warp's new year sale ends Feb 1st, and it "excludes pre-orders". Nothing too out of the ordinary, right? Except there is currently nothing to pre-order. If they're emphasising this statement, surely it means they have a new release to announce this month? Obviously this doesn't specifically confirm BoC, but couple this with our Warp roster theories on the previous page, and it doesn't seem too unlikely! I will however blast my pants with piss if it's a new Jockstrap EP or summat lol

https://bleep.com/warp-new-year-sale

That's a pretty good reason to get hyped. Even if it isn't BOC, we're at least getting something new from Warp...something they've been really quiet about! They usually announce their Jockstrap remix EPs in newsletter emails, but they've been silent on that front too!
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:
Echelon wrote:
diego4533 wrote: We've already gotten way more Aphex in the last decade than BOC anyway. Wasn't much for Syro but Collapse and Cheetah both proved he's mostly still there.

Don't forget the Soundcloud dump! That alone consisted of more material than BoC have released in their entire career lol

I may be in the minority but I would have loved a physical release of the best tracks from that. Grateful Aphex did it all the same (I've come to value his creativity on almost the same level as BOC) but I'm a physical media nut. Would love a nice vinyl release with brand new artwork.

Granted, I have a feeling this might actually be what we're getting from BOC. MDG said a rarity release would come after Harvest. I think things are aligning for it.

Eagle Minded
Hmm...
I feel like we would get an album first, and the BoC set later...

It'd feel weird for them to release a bunch of older tunes before releasing a more modern album, Aphex got away with it because he'd just released Syro.

I'd be happy if we got a BoC set, containing all the releases we never got to hear, but I somehow doubt it, or at least, doubt we would get that before getting the 5th LP.

Dayvan Cowboy
demo wrote:Hmm...
I feel like we would get an album first, and the BoC set later...

It'd feel weird for them to release a bunch of older tunes before releasing a more modern album, Aphex got away with it because he'd just released Syro.

I'd be happy if we got a BoC set, containing all the releases we never got to hear, but I somehow doubt it, or at least, doubt we would get that before getting the 5th LP.

I think the one thing that points to an archival release is the new artwork being nostalgic and pointing to things in the band's past. If it was a new LP, I could imagine them posting some kind of mind blowing new artwork of an image we've never seen before.

But instead, we have the faceless people and the turquoise hexagon sun from the 90s in a different context.

But seriously, either a new lp or an archival release will do. I simply want to hear my favorite IDM band again :D

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:I may be in the minority but I would have loved a physical release of the best tracks from that. Grateful Aphex did it all the same (I've come to value his creativity on almost the same level as BOC) but I'm a physical media nut. Would love a nice vinyl release with brand new artwork.

Oh, absolutely! Some of those tracks have since been pressed to vinyl, but they're all spread across different releases as opposed to being part of one unified project, which is a shame.

I genuinely think that if he collated the best bits into a 2-hour double album, it would've been his strongest released work to date. It all feels so carefree, yet filled to the brim with emotion. I think that's also why I'm attracted to the BoC Old Tunes comps so much. It's a couple of guys simply making great music with no pressure or expectations.

Dayvan Cowboy
♄ope keeper wrote:Image

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:
Oh, absolutely! Some of those tracks have since been pressed to vinyl, but they're all spread across different releases as opposed to being part of one unified project, which is a shame.

I genuinely think that if he collated the best bits into a 2-hour double album, it would've been his strongest released work to date. It all feels so carefree, yet filled to the brim with emotion. I think that's also why I'm attracted to the BoC Old Tunes comps so much. It's a couple of guys simply making great music with no pressure or expectations.

See I didn't even know some of these tracks were actually released. I know being a sloppy mess is Aphex's style (and I mean that in the best way positive haha, he thrives off of chaos) but for someone looking to complete my collection, it's a pain in the butt.

That's why I feel the BOC rarities collection is going to be the opposite. It's going to be well organized and polished to an anal degree. The Apollonian collection to Aphex's Dionysian soundcloud drop haha

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:See I didn't even know some of these tracks were actually released. I know being a sloppy mess is Aphex's style (and I mean that in the best way positive haha, he thrives off of chaos) but for someone looking to complete my collection, it's a pain in the butt.

Most of those Soundcloud physical releases were limited 12"s only made available at specific locations/events too, which likely pissed off many collectors I'm sure!

Echelon wrote:That's why I feel the BOC rarities collection is going to be the opposite. It's going to be well organized and polished to an anal degree. The Apollonian collection to Aphex's Dionysian soundcloud drop haha

I completely agree. They seem to be better at quality control than Aphex, which of course is both a blessing and a curse lol. If the archival project does come to fruition, I think it will be heavily curated and sequenced accordingly.

I'd also be curious to know how they'd roll it out. There's probably too much material to unleash in one box set (unless they adopt an absolutely ruthless QC method) which makes me think it could be staggered in volumes, possibly by era?

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:That's why I feel the BOC rarities collection is going to be the opposite. It's going to be well organized and polished to an anal degree. The Apollonian collection to Aphex's Dionysian soundcloud drop haha

Still talking about the BOCset as it were going to be released... It's time to move on. :(

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head:

I've never even found these on discogs! I had no idea they existed. I definitely was spoiled getting into BOC first. Nearly everything in their catalog is in the right place :lol:

I am curious too how they'd hash out their unreleased material. I have a feeling it would be heavily conceptual. They seem pretty OCD with concepts post 90s.

SamuraiDrifter

All this talk is purely hypothetical, my friend. This is the speculation topic after all. I get a good feeling about what's happening now with Warp and such, so I'm simply speculating based on it.

The closer things get to Jan 22nd with no word, the more confident I get that they're building up for something. But I always keep my hype relative so as to not be disappointed if it's not.
Last edited by Echelon on Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Friendly Stranger
arvy wrote:

that mike picture is so cursed, where did u get it?

Dayvan Cowboy
Hey, Michi, cant say for sure now, but if my mind remembers correctly, this is from some french warp server few years back.

Posts Quantity
Michi-LFG wrote:
arvy wrote:

that mike picture is so cursed, where did u get it?

I'm curious too... nice vibe, thank you for it...

Thanx also to you all for the comments by the way... :]

Echelon, keeping my fingers crossed for the date... MDG was here on 6th January...

Eagle Minded
what’s up with the 2021 listings of old boc material on Discogs, certainly doesn't look official so I wouldn’t get my hopes up.
no information at this moment in time

Posts Quantity
♄ope keeper wrote:
Michi-LFG wrote:
arvy wrote:[quote="♄ope keeper"]

Echelon, keeping my fingers crossed for the date... MDG was here on 6th January...

Good catch! Last time MDG was here was 9/9/2020 before/during the Hell Interface banner change to “pioneer plaque”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posts Quantity
Roswell wrote:what’s up with the 2021 listings of old boc material on Discogs, certainly doesn't look official so I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Just someone doing bootlegs and listing them there for some reason, the stretched fanmade cover of R35TT or the font they used in hooper bay are laughable :lol:
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Eagle Minded
For real, I had a dream last night where I checked BoC's Instagram and there was a new post from them and it was a video playing the song "Wouldn't You Like to Be Free?" from Play By Numbers.

BoC are advertising their new album to me in my dreams and "Wouldn't You Like to Be Free?" is apparently on the new album.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada