GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
hahaha i dont know what you guys are on about, this was the funniest troll ive seen in a while. the dude even revealed it early!

Eagle Minded
Happy June 9th ladies and fellaz. Another year, another promising wait

Happy Cycler
Navaru wrote:Happy June 9th ladies and fellaz. Another year, another promising wait

Right back atcha!

Sherbet Head
Echelon wrote:I made a parody of the poster: https://imgur.com/a/QU2tD7i

Was going to put it on reddit but I didn't want them to downvote me :lol:

I can't believe you had the unmitigated audacity to chuck in those Don't Eat The Yellow Snow references :lol:
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:
Echelon wrote:I made a parody of the poster: https://imgur.com/a/QU2tD7i

Was going to put it on reddit but I didn't want them to downvote me :lol:

I can't believe you had the unmitigated audacity to chuck in those Don't Eat The Yellow Snow references :lol:

I'm honored someone picked that up actually haha

Hey Boc referenced George Duke so there is some "conceptual continuity" there XD Very curious if they like Zappa honestly
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
Echelon wrote:Hey Boc referenced George Duke so there is some "conceptual continuity" there XD Very curious if they like Zappa honestly

I'd be surprised if they didn't, there's quite a bit of stuff in the Zappa catalog that seems in-line with a bunch of what they included on the SXT. I could totally see BoC playing a cover of this with synthesizers or something of the sort:
phpBB [media]
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:
Echelon wrote:Hey Boc referenced George Duke so there is some "conceptual continuity" there XD Very curious if they like Zappa honestly

I'd be surprised if they didn't, there's quite a bit of stuff in the Zappa catalog that seems in-line with a bunch of what they included on the SXT. I could totally see BoC playing a cover of this with synthesizers or something of the sort:
phpBB [media]

That would be absolutely blissful to hear. Those guitar instrumentals never get tiring, even on a binge. Zappa also did an experimental track on the Lost Episodes involving synths and drum machines called Basement Music #1 that sounds remarkably like IDM.

Eagle Minded
Navaru wrote:Happy June 9th ladies and fellaz. Another year, another promising wait

happy june 9th!

Eagle Minded
I'm pretty confident that they're fan's of Zappa. It would be quite impossible for them not to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQxI0G6mKk

Eagle Minded
The thing about Zappa was that musically it's absolute genius, yet lyrically sometimes its, I think meaningless and ridiculous which makes it very clever too. I think he only used vocals as another instrument maybe? Playfully like Aphex has done in the past. I dunno? But Yellow snow, dental floss tycoon, mental doss flycoon. I found out recently that he used Tina Turner and the Ikettes as backing vocals on Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe. They were paid something like 25$ per session and when Icke Turner heard the recordings he said "the fuck is this shit"? and refused to allow them to be credited on the album. Quite funny, but if you've never heard any Zappa, I highly recommend you go down that rabbit hole.

Happy Cycler
Echelon wrote:
Jonse wrote: largely because it was convenient and perhaps allowed the two of them (or possibly mostly just one of the two, so I've also heard)

Where did you hear this? Though it definitely makes sense since they were apparently living in different countries at the time

I mostly heard it from people on here. Cupz told me IIRC that Sean Booth had commented about how the album was good but missing Mike's wonderful melodies..something to that extent. I've heard it echoed since and the material definitely feels as though it's missing something. Take that with a huge grain of salt though. Almost everything I have to say about the development of that record past what everyone knows is just a BoC fan's educated guess.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sl Flk wrote:The thing about Zappa was that musically it's absolute genius, yet lyrically sometimes its, I think meaningless and ridiculous which makes it very clever too. I think he only used vocals as another instrument maybe? Playfully like Aphex has done in the past. I dunno? But Yellow snow, dental floss tycoon, mental doss flycoon. I found out recently that he used Tina Turner and the Ikettes as backing vocals on Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe. They were paid something like 25$ per session and when Icke Turner heard the recordings he said "the fuck is this shit"? and refused to allow them to be credited on the album. Quite funny, but if you've never heard any Zappa, I highly recommend you go down that rabbit hole.

The thing that's brilliant about Zappa music is that the instruments and the vocals perform all the same left turns and they can exist without each other. The crazy lines the Ikettes sing can be performed with or without them. Zappa and BOC are also both advocates of freedom of expression and a lot of what Zappa crusaded for with the PMRC hearings is in One Very Important Thought.

Jonse wrote:
Echelon wrote:
Jonse wrote: largely because it was convenient and perhaps allowed the two of them (or possibly mostly just one of the two, so I've also heard)

Where did you hear this? Though it definitely makes sense since they were apparently living in different countries at the time

I mostly heard it from people on here. Cupz told me IIRC that Sean Booth had commented about how the album was good but missing Mike's wonderful melodies..something to that extent. I've heard it echoed since and the material definitely feels as though it's missing something. Take that with a huge grain of salt though. Almost everything I have to say about the development of that record past what everyone knows is just a BoC fan's educated guess.

It's either an aesthetic choice because of the soundtrack element where you can't have those cute synth lines twirling around, or yeah Mike is missing. I've finally come around to TH this year (it's an emotional rollercoaster for me after what happened) but it does sound different from what came before and I think that's what bugged me at first. It's brilliant now though.

Would be really interesting if it was mostly a Marcus solo project for whatever reason. Even if he seems to me more like the guitar guy and there are very few audible guitars on there.

Very excited to hear if they ever come up with anything new, if it will continue the TH manner of progression. Mr. Mistake did for sure.

Happy Cycler
It's not often discussed, but I believe this Zappa album had a profound impact on the brothers.

Dayvan Cowboy
Jonse wrote:I mostly heard it from people on here. Cupz told me IIRC that Sean Booth had commented about how the album was good but missing Mike's wonderful melodies..something to that extent. I've heard it echoed since and the material definitely feels as though it's missing something. Take that with a huge grain of salt though. Almost everything I have to say about the development of that record past what everyone knows is just a BoC fan's educated guess.

What Sean Booth said, in the Ask AE Anything thread on WATMM, was that he missed Mike's keyboard runs. I think it's a huge stretch to twist that into this narrative that Tomorrow's Harvest was some kind of hastily put together secondary project from which Mike was absent, rather than that they created an album with a new sound, as they've done with each release.

Frankly the whole thing sounds like nonsense to me. I think Tomorrow's Harvest is possibly the most finely crafted, detailed album they've ever made, certainly at least on the level of Geogaddi. And this is the exact sort of baseless rumor-spinning I saw MDG call bullshit on a dozen times while he was still posting here.

Boqurant
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Jonse wrote:I mostly heard it from people on here. Cupz told me IIRC that Sean Booth had commented about how the album was good but missing Mike's wonderful melodies..something to that extent. I've heard it echoed since and the material definitely feels as though it's missing something. Take that with a huge grain of salt though. Almost everything I have to say about the development of that record past what everyone knows is just a BoC fan's educated guess.

What Sean Booth said, in the Ask AE Anything thread on WATMM, was that he missed Mike's keyboard runs. I think it's a huge stretch to twist that into this narrative that Tomorrow's Harvest was some kind of hastily put together secondary project from which Mike was absent, rather than that they created an album with a new sound, as they've done with each release.

Frankly the whole thing sounds like nonsense to me. I think Tomorrow's Harvest is possibly the most finely crafted, detailed album they've ever made, certainly at least on the level of Geogaddi. And this is the exact sort of baseless rumor-spinning I saw MDG call bullshit on a dozen times while he was still posting here.

Agreed, I don't know what everyone in this thread is on about

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:It's not often discussed, but I believe this Zappa album had a profound impact on the brothers.

Saved this image immediately when I saw it. Combines two of the most brilliant album covers of all time.

Zappa's stuff with the Mothers of Invention is all genius and I'd be hardpressed if they don't like any of that. They like George Duke though and I think that's a telling enough sign. The most brilliant keyboardist Zappa ever worked with.

Happy Cycler
Hah! Glad you like it!

Happy Cycler
I wasn't trying to push any narrative and I literally said I could be entirely wrong.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Eagle Minded
You’ve been drifted

Posts Quantity
Tomorrow's Harvest is amazing smh

8)
"R-Worded"

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada