Switch to full style
Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.
Post a reply

Re: GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Mon May 20, 2019 7:59 pm

drhumr wrote:
Soul_Slip wrote:at least in that album Tycho used some actual downtempo electronic beats for some songs... rather than the same old upbeat dance version of fake lo-fi electronic tape music.... there was a newer song they released that sounded more experimental which was surprising considering Tycho sounds very "plugin-ish" and polished and "plasticy" in a way that causes me anxiety as a listener sometimes.... I saw them live and there was a "hidden" team of people on laptops near the left stage that were constantly sending samples to the controllers they were using.... it honestly made me sad as a musician and made me remember the BOC interview where one of the brothers mentions a well-known high priority electronic musician friend had once said he played a show live where he "pretended" to play instruments to a backing cassette mix with pre-recorded material........ it made me not repsect Tycho more than I already didn't.... lol There are other songs by Tycho that I really dig such as his very early more downtempo IDM experimental stuff, or like the song "Adrift".... that song to me is pure bliss.... but some others not so much..... I think he spent more time trying to capture only one type of aspect to what he liked about BOC rather than realizing that they put so much of a physical effort to achieve what we here... such as the brothers claiming in interviews that they rarely ever use physical effects boxes to achieve their weirdness... which completely blows me away haha o.O ....really? so most of the crazy effects on Geogaddi are not hardware effects but achieved through the recording process??? that blows me away haha... Tycho imho cannot fathom that level of musical achievement and prowess........

Dude, I'm afraid you're way off here. Maybe you just get a real kick out of bashing a band just for the hell of it.

How are Tycho "pretending to play instruments"? They perform as an actual four piece band, playing real instruments. Drums, bass, guitars, analog synths. Do they trigger the occasional sample (mainly pads and extra percussion)? Sure. But 95% of the live show is a pretty damn tight band doing its thing. If you really saw them live as you claim, you wouldn't have missed that.

Also as for Tycho sounding "plugin-ish" and "plasticy". Anyone who knows the first thing about gear will understand there's a (not so) small fortune hidden in Scott Hansen's studio just by looking at his Instagram. Vintage and modern top of the line recording equipment (Neve, SSL, UA, ELI etc.), lots of classic analog synths (Moog, Korg, Sequential etc.) and FX (Roland, Lexicon, Ursa Major). His sonic aesthetic may not be for you but by making these sweeping statements and vague and factually inaccurate assumptions you only prove that you're completely missing the point.

Don't get me wrong, I love BoC to death but this blind worshiping paired with this idea that Tycho's spent the past 13 years (since the release of the record you were referring to) trying to out-BoC the bros themselves... Come on.

And to stir the pot a little more, exactly how "live" do you think BoC's sporadic shows really were? Try to be a little objective.

Calm down dude... seriously, I wasn’t bashing Tycho, I like Tycho, was merely expressing my opinion even if you don’t agree with me. I saw 7 people with hundreds of samples and I wasn’t buying that single aspect... never nashed the other musicians as well... but again... my opinion... and while I obviously realize BoC mostly trigger samples live, I also understand their recording process of “said” samples which is extremely in depth and more experimental than anything I have heard maybe next to Aphex Twin... and I also do not believe that Tycho ever tried to compete with BoC... again your interpretation of what I said and I am not refuting his collection of gear... to “my” ears Tycho is plasticy sounding... which is ok... even if it doesn’t resonate with me... same with everything I said... it was ok that I thought that way same as how you think currently... now, I am not here to fight or argue man and you didn’t have to attack me

Mon May 20, 2019 8:19 pm

Mozart wrote:I know that the Wikipedia edit was 99.9% a fan messing with all of us:

But here's a weird thing I thought of. Not too long ago, the second to last tweet that BoC liked read exactly like this: a fan named a__pylon exclaimed "being a pylon and stuff, i can hear it already in the cracks of the scottish sky: your next one is going to short circuit me for good. well, can't wait" (https://twitter.com/a__pylon/status/1050015699580653568)

Well, radio reception can be impaired under a power line, due to shielding of a RECEIVER antenna by the overhead conductors, which creates radio noise. Power lines are either single CIRCUITS or multiple CIRCUITS where high-voltage lines are often carried on PYLONS or steel lattices. We've heard the radio static snippets throughout a few songs of BoC's oeuvre. The like of the tweet is most likely related to their song "Music for Pylons" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlXVfNRVLEM). But what really made me write this post in the first place was the way that Tomorrow's Harvest ends with the static fading out in Semena Mertvykh. Maybe the static that it ends with starts back up in the beginning of the next album, or perhaps makes another appearance at some point in the next release. I don't even know where I'm going with this one, and almost feel the need to apologize to the reader for taking the time to read this. You probably lost a few brain cells from this nonsensical rambling. But what messes with me is why BoC would choose to like that specific obscure-as-hell tweet out of thousands of comments they get.

I must say, this is NOT serious and I am just entertaining myself with nonsense. But it fits with my schtick with coming up with off-the-wall ideations and theories to keep us thinking during the downtime. Carry on.

Yeah I am sure it was too but that is interesting... still fun to speculate and the static idea would be really cool...

Mon May 20, 2019 9:13 pm

Soul_Slip wrote:
drhumr wrote:
Soul_Slip wrote:at least in that album Tycho used some actual downtempo electronic beats for some songs... rather than the same old upbeat dance version of fake lo-fi electronic tape music.... there was a newer song they released that sounded more experimental which was surprising considering Tycho sounds very "plugin-ish" and polished and "plasticy" in a way that causes me anxiety as a listener sometimes.... I saw them live and there was a "hidden" team of people on laptops near the left stage that were constantly sending samples to the controllers they were using.... it honestly made me sad as a musician and made me remember the BOC interview where one of the brothers mentions a well-known high priority electronic musician friend had once said he played a show live where he "pretended" to play instruments to a backing cassette mix with pre-recorded material........ it made me not repsect Tycho more than I already didn't.... lol There are other songs by Tycho that I really dig such as his very early more downtempo IDM experimental stuff, or like the song "Adrift".... that song to me is pure bliss.... but some others not so much..... I think he spent more time trying to capture only one type of aspect to what he liked about BOC rather than realizing that they put so much of a physical effort to achieve what we here... such as the brothers claiming in interviews that they rarely ever use physical effects boxes to achieve their weirdness... which completely blows me away haha o.O ....really? so most of the crazy effects on Geogaddi are not hardware effects but achieved through the recording process??? that blows me away haha... Tycho imho cannot fathom that level of musical achievement and prowess........

Dude, I'm afraid you're way off here. Maybe you just get a real kick out of bashing a band just for the hell of it.

How are Tycho "pretending to play instruments"? They perform as an actual four piece band, playing real instruments. Drums, bass, guitars, analog synths. Do they trigger the occasional sample (mainly pads and extra percussion)? Sure. But 95% of the live show is a pretty damn tight band doing its thing. If you really saw them live as you claim, you wouldn't have missed that.

Also as for Tycho sounding "plugin-ish" and "plasticy". Anyone who knows the first thing about gear will understand there's a (not so) small fortune hidden in Scott Hansen's studio just by looking at his Instagram. Vintage and modern top of the line recording equipment (Neve, SSL, UA, ELI etc.), lots of classic analog synths (Moog, Korg, Sequential etc.) and FX (Roland, Lexicon, Ursa Major). His sonic aesthetic may not be for you but by making these sweeping statements and vague and factually inaccurate assumptions you only prove that you're completely missing the point.

Don't get me wrong, I love BoC to death but this blind worshiping paired with this idea that Tycho's spent the past 13 years (since the release of the record you were referring to) trying to out-BoC the bros themselves... Come on.

And to stir the pot a little more, exactly how "live" do you think BoC's sporadic shows really were? Try to be a little objective.

Calm down dude... seriously, I wasn’t bashing Tycho, I like Tycho, was merely expressing my opinion even if you don’t agree with me. I saw 7 people with hundreds of samples and I wasn’t buying that single aspect... never nashed the other musicians as well... but again... my opinion... and while I obviously realize BoC mostly trigger samples live, I also understand their recording process of “said” samples which is extremely in depth and more experimental than anything I have heard maybe next to Aphex Twin... and I also do not believe that Tycho ever tried to compete with BoC... again your interpretation of what I said and I am not refuting his collection of gear... to “my” ears Tycho is plasticy sounding... which is ok... even if it doesn’t resonate with me... same with everything I said... it was ok that I thought that way same as how you think currently... now, I am not here to fight or argue man and you didn’t have to attack me

Don't worry, man, I'm calm. If per chance my post came across as me attacking you then I'm sorry about that.

Of course you're absolutely right that BoC's recording process is incredibly intricate and sophisticated. Perhaps even unmatched in some aspects. And that Tycho's is very much standard in comparison, although that standard is very high, from a purely technical/gear perspective.

Maybe by plasticy you mean really cleanly mixed and polished? If so, I can understand that may sound boring/lifeless to some for sure.

I'll come see Tycho's show next time they're in town and will be on the lookout for those seven guys. :mrgreen:

Cheers! :)

Mon May 20, 2019 9:34 pm

I "feel" BOC are deep at work finishing the new stuff and there will be an announcement in coming weeks...

(half year of quiet on Twitter, 6 years after TH)

Mon May 20, 2019 10:29 pm

♄ope keeper wrote:I "feel" BOC are deep at work finishing the new stuff and there will be an announcement in coming weeks...

(half year of quiet on Twitter, 6 years after TH)
I see where you're going with this! It's just as good of a theory as anything else I've heard (and much better than the Tycho bitching). I hope you're right dude

Mon May 20, 2019 10:44 pm

If I had to wager a guess, the album is probably pretty much complete, but they are adding in their tweaks/nuances meticulously and carefully. Like the one story where they drove a far amount of distance to add in that one raw sound on the synth in Cold Earth. They could be doing stuff like that, while enjoying life and taking their art at their own comfortable pace. They are probably replaying the album a lot to see if certain things could be improved or altered. Fortunately, I feel as if the process is in not only the correct hands, but some of the best hands. There is no way they'd release it anything short of perfect on their own terms.

(half year of quiet on Twitter, 6 years after TH) Maybe we'll hear something in June, the sixth month. 666. This is a joke, of course.

BoC doesn't arrive early, but precisely when they need to. That being said, I don't think I have ever been at a point in my life where I need BoC more than right now. Arguably the case could be made for the music world or at the very least their fanbase. Whatever the case may be I have enjoyed countless hours of BoC and I feel like they impacted my life for the better in so many ways that it is hard to describe, I know there are thousands of others out there that feel similar sentiments.

I "feel" it too, though. You're not alone in that. There's no way they'd keep up the rare habit of liking tweets regarding a new album if they were to never release anything again, so we've got that going for us. I will be on the edge of my seat until the next release, I feel that it is going to be THAT powerful and moving. It's going to be everything we've been waiting for, I have no doubt about it.

Someday I'll look back, perhaps in 50 years or so, and I'll wonder why I put so much energy into worrying and speculating about Boards of Canada. After all, I'm just a random classical musician who focuses and listens to 95% classical and happened to somehow stumble upon MHTRTC when it first came out. I think I know the answer already, though. It is because they made me feel the most alive of any music I have ever had the pleasure to hear (with the exception of Mozart, Holst, Bach and other classical geniuses). They've changed my life and it really warms my heart to know that there are others who've been just as moved. BoC more than likely knows of the strong impact they've had on their fans.

Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am

Thank you for your comments...

Btw. structural collapse through Saturn-Pluto conjunction in Capricorn has begun... we will see what happens within next 1.5 years (2019-2020)...

Tue May 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Mozart wrote:BoC doesn't arrive early, but precisely when they need to. That being said, I don't think I have ever been at a point in my life where I need BoC more than right now. Arguably the case could be made for the music world or at the very least their fanbase. Whatever the case may be I have enjoyed countless hours of BoC and I feel like they impacted my life for the better in so many ways that it is hard to describe, I know there are thousands of others out there that feel similar sentiments.

Someday I'll look back, perhaps in 50 years or so, and I'll wonder why I put so much energy into worrying and speculating about Boards of Canada. After all, I'm just a random classical musician who focuses and listens to 95% classical and happened to somehow stumble upon MHTRTC when it first came out. I think I know the answer already, though. It is because they made me feel the most alive of any music I have ever had the pleasure to hear (with the exception of Mozart, Holst, Bach and other classical geniuses). They've changed my life and it really warms my heart to know that there are others who've been just as moved. BoC more than likely knows of the strong impact they've had on their fans.

Just wanted to say I really like what you wrote and that I can relate to most of it. There's something special with their music that I cannot convey in words. I know I discovered their music exactly at the time in my life I needed it most.

Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm

♄ope keeper wrote:Btw. structural collapse through Saturn-Pluto conjunction in Capricorn has begun... we will see what happens within next 1.5 years (2019-2020)...

Could you elaborate? In the absence of anything newsworthy in this thread I'd like me some astrological philosophy :)

Tue May 21, 2019 6:21 pm

Gazebo4 wrote:
♄ope keeper wrote:Btw. structural collapse through Saturn-Pluto conjunction in Capricorn has begun... we will see what happens within next 1.5 years (2019-2020)...

Could you elaborate? In the absence of anything newsworthy in this thread I'd like me some astrological philosophy :)

first find in google

https://faysastrology.wordpress.com/sat ... njunction/

"The conjunction of Saturn and Pluto at 22º46 Capricorn in January 2020 brings together the powerful fatal energies of both these planets – the Reckoning of Saturn with the Purging of Pluto – and so augurs a severely difficult and penalising time for the institutions that govern society and those in positions of power, particular those who have abused their power rather than doing their duty to society (see Saturn in Capricorn and Pluto in Capricorn). This involves a crumbling of the structures in society that have maintained the status quo, an irretrievable weakening of systems and organisations and a crystalisation of turmoil. It signifies a peak in the profound and destructive power struggle between those using all their power and resources to make a desperate last ditch attempt to keep things as they are and those who are caught up in the collective surge towards inevitable change through purging what is corrupt and not-fit-for-purpose."

Tue May 21, 2019 6:40 pm

arvy wrote:
Gazebo4 wrote:

first find in google

https://faysastrology.wordpress.com/sat ... njunction/

"The conjunction of Saturn and Pluto at 22º46 Capricorn in January 2020 brings together the powerful fatal energies of both these planets – the Reckoning of Saturn with the Purging of Pluto – and so augurs a severely difficult and penalising time for the institutions that govern society and those in positions of power, particular those who have abused their power rather than doing their duty to society (see Saturn in Capricorn and Pluto in Capricorn). This involves a crumbling of the structures in society that have maintained the status quo, an irretrievable weakening of systems and organisations and a crystalisation of turmoil. It signifies a peak in the profound and destructive power struggle between those using all their power and resources to make a desperate last ditch attempt to keep things as they are and those who are caught up in the collective surge towards inevitable change through purging what is corrupt and not-fit-for-purpose."

Read the whole article, sounds good! :}

Wed May 22, 2019 1:40 am

Mozart wrote:But what really made me write this post in the first place was the way that Tomorrow's Harvest ends with the static fading out in Semena Mertvykh. Maybe the static that it ends with starts back up in the beginning of the next album

sorry to besmirch your well written and intricate posts but I would absolutely shit myself if that happened

Thu May 23, 2019 1:27 pm

Nottoolate wrote:
Mozart wrote:But what really made me write this post in the first place was the way that Tomorrow's Harvest ends with the static fading out in Semena Mertvykh. Maybe the static that it ends with starts back up in the beginning of the next album

sorry to besmirch your well written and intricate posts but I would absolutely shit myself if that happened

No doubt about it, but, they're not done.

Thu May 23, 2019 3:59 pm

How much money can one ona make from "Campfire Headphase" outtakes with a hint of MHTRTC at 64/192 on bandcamp til july 4th with proper LUFS for SoundCloud and dur I said Bandcramp + I need olanzapine.

Thu May 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Nottoolate wrote:

Same here! I absolutely love numbers stations and the recurring theme of radio transmissions in TH. BoC could release an entirely abmient album with radio sounds and some low-key melodies and I'd be a happy camper.

Thu May 23, 2019 4:38 pm

My mother dies every night,
it's safe to say, don't quote me on that,
I love myself better than you,
I know it's wrong, but what should I do

I'm on a mang,
Schlong in my brain,
An eagle's train,
Tranny's and gangs,
Bangin a gang,
Gangs a mustang,
Running putang,
Jesus has fangs,

Thu May 23, 2019 4:59 pm

GeoDose wrote:
Nottoolate wrote:

Same here! I absolutely love numbers stations and the recurring theme of radio transmissions in TH. BoC could release an entirely abmient album with radio sounds and some low-key melodies and I'd be a happy camper.

You don't know what music sounds like. Listen to Broads Of Canada and Xaugh. Who know's though, michaels hi on the sack, we might hear new Boards of Canada today is the greatest day I've ever known, can't live for tomorrow, tomorrow's a Silverchair song. It's 2 oclock and it's a wunderful day. You gonna wait 2:00 phat boy, wait til 3 o'clock. For the new Plaid... Not Iced Coldplay.

Thu May 23, 2019 6:50 pm

Left right, left right Left right - BOC army is marching.
Left right, left right Left right - BOC is on the rise.
Left right, left right Left right
1,2,3,4,5 -EVERYBODY - FUCK THE FAKE TYCHO BAND MUSIC!!!
Left right, left right Left right - BOC army is marching.
Left right, left right Left right - BOC is on the rise.
Left right, left right Left right

Fri May 24, 2019 1:52 pm

The official BoC Twitter account just retweeted a remix of Left Side Drive (by artist Solange).

https://twitter.com/repeatershow/status ... 4061666304

Fri May 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Solange is a distinctly French female name derived from the Medieval Roman Sollemnia meaning “religious”

Trolling level over 9000.
Post a reply