GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 220
Joined: 13 May 2010
Location: FR
Valotonin wrote:Anyway, I like what was stated above by Echelon, there is no way that BOC aren't aware of the numerology in tweets theories so it would be nice if they could incorporate that into something in future; as long as there was a point where they said "this (EP/Album?) marks the end of any numerical significance to tweets" so that people weren't digging for eternity into something which has no meaning afterwards.

I don't think they're managing their social networks accounts themselves. Remember what they've already said, "the internet is evil".
There might actually be a play with the numerology of their tweets, but to me it is more likely coming from Warp instead. If I recall correctly, the brothers said they didn't elaborate the whole ARG for TH, Warp did. The label knows that us fans love all this mystery stuff and it makes an excellent marketing strategy when you need to promote an album release. I don't think the brothers are actually pulling strings on this and can't be blamed for it.

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 2175
Joined: 7 Feb 2014
Location: London, UK
That could be the case, but information is siphoned back to them via MDG.

MDG is almost certainly aware of how active the forum(s) were with talk of Twitter numerology and there is more of a chance than not of his relaying that back to the brothers in my eyes.

I didn't speculate anywhere that they were in direct control of the twitter, but that they could take the reins as part of an album/EP promo if they wanted to, that was what I was getting at really.

So yes, I agree - they are most likely completely distanced from their Twitter account.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 100
Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
boredsofcanada wrote:
dp wrote:Easy to give up hope when you love a band who doesn't care about their fan base at all.

Yeah, it's almost like they didn't spoonfed their fan base with 60 new artists that influenced them so they could stop their rabid fanboyism

I sincerely disagree with dp's idea that they don't care about their fanbase, and obviously the mixtape was a tribute to their influences and tastes, but saying it was made just to get their rabid fans of their backs is kind of ignoring that the mixtape actually emboldened the rabid fans love for the band because of how well and tastefully it was presented and mixed.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 166
Joined: 27 Apr 2013
Ottomatik wrote:
Valotonin wrote:Anyway, I like what was stated above by Echelon, there is no way that BOC aren't aware of the numerology in tweets theories so it would be nice if they could incorporate that into something in future; as long as there was a point where they said "this (EP/Album?) marks the end of any numerical significance to tweets" so that people weren't digging for eternity into something which has no meaning afterwards.

I don't think they're managing their social networks accounts themselves. Remember what they've already said, "the internet is evil".
There might actually be a play with the numerology of their tweets, but to me it is more likely coming from Warp instead. If I recall correctly, the brothers said they didn't elaborate the whole ARG for TH, Warp did. The label knows that us fans love all this mystery stuff and it makes an excellent marketing strategy when you need to promote an album release. I don't think the brothers are actually pulling strings on this and can't be blamed for it.


I wonder who is behind their Twitter account too. It might be them, actually. I believe that if Warp were behind, they would write way more and tweet a ton more.

Regarding their quote of "The Internet is evil", do we have to believe that in 2020 they still don't use the Internet almost on a daily basis? Maybe we should differentiate between "BoC" as an artistic group, and the guys behind BoC. it is very likely that the guys behind BoC, aka "The Bros", have a very normal life, with cellphones, Internet, apps, etc. "BoC", however, the artistic band, sells that the future will be horrible, be careful with Facebook, don't you turn off Airplane mode on your phone, etc.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 166
Joined: 27 Apr 2013
sixtyniner wrote:
boredsofcanada wrote:
dp wrote:Easy to give up hope when you love a band who doesn't care about their fan base at all.

Yeah, it's almost like they didn't spoonfed their fan base with 60 new artists that influenced them so they could stop their rabid fanboyism

I sincerely disagree with dp's idea that they don't care about their fanbase, and obviously the mixtape was a tribute to their influences and tastes, but saying it was made just to get their rabid fans of their backs is kind of ignoring that the mixtape actually emboldened the rabid fans love for the band because of how well and tastefully it was presented and mixed.


To today's standards (or even 2010's standards), BoC doesn't care about the fanbase or rather, BoC doesn't communicate well with the fanbase or they don't communicate whatsoever with the fanbase. They prefer not to follow today's standard of communication with the fanbase. I don't think there is any question regarding that. They probably care about us keep liking their music enough to buy the next album and continue the "BoC cult".

The question really is: Should they do it? Well... We keep buying their albums and idolizing them, so why should they worry? They are great musicians, and they probably want their muic to speak for itself.

I think that the tape came out because of Warp, not because of us. If it came out because of us, they would have come out with THE ALBUM instead of the tape, which is what we all wanted.

In any case, and as I have said somewhere else in this forum, they are not a music band really, but two brothers with normal lives. They probably don't rely on the music business much and prefer to stay away from it. Good for them (but bad for us).

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 100
Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
The Spaniard wrote:To today's standards (or even 2010's standards), BoC doesn't care about the fanbase or rather, BoC doesn't communicate well with the fanbase or they don't communicate whatsoever with the fanbase. They prefer not to follow today's standard of communication with the fanbase. I don't think there is any question regarding that. They probably care about us keep liking their music enough to buy the next album and continue the "BoC cult".

The question really is: Should they do it? Well... We keep buying their albums and idolizing them, so why should they worry? They are great musicians, and they probably want their muic to speak for itself.

I think that the tape came out because of Warp, not because of us. If it came out because of us, they would have come out with THE ALBUM instead of the tape, which is what we all wanted.

in any case, and as i have said somewhere else in this forum, they are not a music band really, but two brothers with normal lives. They probably don't depend on the music business much and prefer to stay away from it. Good for them (but bad for us).


They love their fans but they don't let them tell them what to do because at the end of the day it's a hobby for them and they obviously only like putting out things which are fully polished with intricate craftsmanship so that it can stand for itself as you say. I still just wish they released more which didn't fit on any strict polished thematic album like the unreleased live tracks.

I think a lot of the reason behind the isolation has to do with their whole ethos of individualism, not letting trends influence them or their music, not wanting to be celebrities and maintaining modesty, and their interest of alternative lifestyles like "living in a beautiful place out in the country" like the branch davidians.

How different would your music really be if you were creating it from the belly of some urban, metropolitan area? Is isolation always good for the creative process?

Marcus: We don't hate the city, just the homogenized culture you get in urban areas. I think for musicians, being isolated away from certain scenes can keep you focused doing your own thing.
Why is it so much better to live in the country rather than the city?

Mike: I don't think it's easy to be truly independent as an artist at the same time as being part of an urban community. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it just doesn't suit us. Besides, when I'm faced with the choice of hanging out with my friends round a bonfire where we live, or being squashed in a London tube with some suit's elbow in my face, it's an easy choice to make.
Call it folk, nostalgia, pagan - it all comes down to the rustic/rural settings of your music, doesn't it? The music being dreamt up and worked out In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country, the land we inherited from our ancestors and haven't yet ruined completely. Being isolated from The City, Modern Life and the delusion of Ongoing Progress. How does that show in your music, you think?

Marcus: We're very much anti-globalization. One think that disturbs me is a trend today for technology to be created and used just for it's own sake. I recently heard a politician in the UK saying that population decline was a terrible thing and that if we don't build more houses then quality of life and the economy would suffer. It's such a naive and ignorant approach to the world. Where exactly do they stop? Once there is no land left, just industrial estates and housing? I think it's the saddest thing in the world that we have all the space and resources to give everyone a decent life, but it doesn't happen. George Bush is right in that there is an "axis of evil", but it lies at the door of big business and government. We try to support the idea of a less urbanized lifestyle in our music, but I don't want to preach to anyone.

User avatar
Friendly Stranger
Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Location: Virginia, USA
I think it all comes down to one simple thing; and that is, like most other musicians, they don’t really owe us anything. If they go quiet for a while then so be it. That’s always been the long and short of it in my eyes.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 166
Joined: 27 Apr 2013
sixtyniner wrote:
They love their fans but they don't let them tell them what to do because at the end of the day it's a hobby for them and they obviously only like putting out things which are fully polished with intricate craftsmanship so that it can stand for itself as you say. I still just wish they released more which didn't fit on any strict polished thematic album like the unreleased live tracks.

I think a lot of the reason behind the isolation has to do with their whole ethos of individualism, not letting trends influence them or their music, not wanting to be celebrities and maintaining modesty, and their interest of alternative lifestyles like "living in a beautiful place out in the country" like the branch davidians.

Marcus: We're very much anti-globalization. One think that disturbs me is a trend today for technology to be created and used just for it's own sake. I recently heard a politician in the UK saying that population decline was a terrible thing and that if we don't build more houses then quality of life and the economy would suffer. It's such a naive and ignorant approach to the world. Where exactly do they stop? Once there is no land left, just industrial estates and housing? I think it's the saddest thing in the world that we have all the space and resources to give everyone a decent life, but it doesn't happen. George Bush is right in that there is an "axis of evil", but it lies at the door of big business and government. We try to support the idea of a less urbanized lifestyle in our music, but I don't want to preach to anyone.
[/quote]

Thank you for these insightful quotes. They are truly amazing. I especially like the last one.

I wonder if they have been able to avoid relying on mobilephones, Internet, etc. I think this is more of a the BoC idealistic philosophy, but I don't know if The Bros are able to keep the ermit or Amish life. I find it hard, especially if they are married and have children.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 397
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
The ultimate question, if Warp controls their twitter, why do they like posts regarding the release of a new album?

Is that just wishful thinking on Warp's part? :P

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 87
Joined: 21 Mar 2016
sixtyniner wrote: "living in a beautiful place out in the country" like the branch davidians.


http://wacocult.tripod.com/visit.html

Come to Mt. Carmel!

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 176
Joined: 19 Apr 2018
Location: Davenport, IA
BoC may be against the internet in some way shape or form. But I agree, in 2020 it's hard to "hate" the internet. Also, from my perspective, I think BoC would hate the idea of someone else having control over their socials (unless it was someone they dearly trusted). They're complete control freaks and even Autechre said that after OT got leaked BoC started having some major trust issues and cut tons of people off. So to me it doesn't seem too far fetched to say that BoC does in fact have control of their socials, even if that means Warp asks them to tweet or post about certain things (such as SXT).
bocupdates.com :)

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 100
Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
The Spaniard wrote:I wonder if they have been able to avoid relying on mobilephones, Internet, etc. I think this is more of a the BoC idealistic philosophy, but I don't know if The Bros are able to keep the ermit or Amish life. I find it hard, especially if they are married and have children.

They're definitely not luddites. Not only do they use electronic gear to make their music but they also still engage in the use of technology - they've probably used the internet since the 90s (I mean a large amount of societas x tape was literally ripped from youtube and they may have discovered some of it on there), and they probably have used mobile phones for as long as everyone else has. It's much more about being aware of the negative and "homogenising effects" that it can have.

Image
I think the internet is a prime example of this. As much connectivity it can provide, are we actually happier now that we have it? Is it all worth it? I know for a fact that for so many people it has the inverse effect, it sucks so much time out of peoples lives when that time can be used for something much more meaningful or productive, it makes people socially atomised and lose touch of friends and family, children are literally growing up on iPads completely normalised to instant gratification etc etc. As much as I am guilty of some of these things, I recognise just how damaging this whole trend is and how much worse it can get.
Last edited by sixtyniner on Fri May 15, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 397
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
I like the theory that the reason MDG doesn't post anymore about new albums is because the twitter account does that by liking tweets.

He probably got sick of being their lackey and PR person. If you read some of the responses to his claims of a new album, a lot were hostile and disbelieving. He told me that he doesn't have time to come on here anymore too.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 384
Joined: 2 Jun 2012
Location: Netherlands
sixtyniner wrote:Image
I think the internet is a prime example of this. As much connectivity it can provide, are we actually happier now that we have it? Is it all worth it? I know for a fact that for so many people it has the inverse effect, it sucks so much time out of peoples lives when that time can be used for something much more meaningful or productive, it makes people socially atomised and lose touch of friends and family, children are literally growing up on iPads completely normalised to instant gratification etc etc. As much as I am guilty of some of these things, I recognise just how damaging this whole trend is and how much worse it can get.


It's kinda off topic, but as with everything the problem is not with the technology but the individual using it. It's just a means to an end, but that end might go either way, depending on whether the impulse is authentic or not.

Also, I highly doubt they are managing those tweets themselves lol.
"I do actually believe that there are powers in music that are almost supernatural. I think you actually manipulate people with music, and that is definitely what we are trying to do."

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 384
Joined: 2 Jun 2012
Location: Netherlands
Echelon wrote:The ultimate question, if Warp controls their twitter, why do they like posts regarding the release of a new album?

Is that just wishful thinking on Warp's part? :P


Nah I think they do it just to keep this thread alive :wink:
"I do actually believe that there are powers in music that are almost supernatural. I think you actually manipulate people with music, and that is definitely what we are trying to do."

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 166
Joined: 27 Apr 2013
sixtyniner wrote:
The Spaniard wrote:I wonder if they have been able to avoid relying on mobilephones, Internet, etc. I think this is more of a the BoC idealistic philosophy, but I don't know if The Bros are able to keep the ermit or Amish life. I find it hard, especially if they are married and have children.

They're definitely not luddites. Not only do they use electronic gear to make their music but they also still engage in the use of technology - they've probably used the internet since the 90s (I mean a large amount of societas x tape was literally ripped from youtube and they may have discovered some of it on there), and they probably have used mobile phones for as long as everyone else has. It's much more about being aware of the negative and "homogenising effects" that it can have.

Image
I think the internet is a prime example of this. As much connectivity it can provide, are we actually happier now that we have it? Is it all worth it? I know for a fact that for so many people it has the inverse effect, it sucks so much time out of peoples lives when that time can be used for something much more meaningful or productive, it makes people socially atomised and lose touch of friends and family, children are literally growing up on iPads completely normalised to instant gratification etc etc. As much as I am guilty of some of these things, I recognise just how damaging this whole trend is and how much worse it can get.


When they made that claim (early 2000s?), Internet wasn't what it is nowadays, not even close. To me the claim of "Internet is evil" is one of the several hollow, cheap and vain claims they have given over the years. The claims that they come up with in order to seem special or make them look like outsiders to their gullible fanbase and naive interviewers. They use their website to claim "Internet is evil", ok, that is contradictory. They are supposed to like anonymity and at the same time the Internetz is full of pictures of them; each release comes with new pictures.

I like their music, but they don't need to give cheap and vain claims. I guess that they know that the conspiracy junk sells well among the apocalyptic and conspiranoic fanbase BoC has.

It is all junk they say to sell albums and a profile of "mistery". Geogaddy lasts for 66 minutes and 6 seconds. Ohhhhhhhh!
Well... they just stretched the minutes in the silent Magic Window song to make the whole album last 66:06. It is all about aesthetics.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 166
Joined: 27 Apr 2013
Echelon wrote:The ultimate question, if Warp controls their twitter, why do they like posts regarding the release of a new album?

Is that just wishful thinking on Warp's part? :P


I dont think Warp controls their Twitter. If they do, they would also have to control their other accounts, right?

Warp doesn't share the aesthetics The Bros want for BoC. If Warp did control their twitter, I am sure they would twit way more in order to increment sales.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 100
Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
The Spaniard wrote:When they made that claim (early 2000s?), Internet wasn't what it is nowadays, not even close. To me the claim of "Internet is evil" is one of the several hollow, cheap and vain claims they have given over the years. The claims that they come up with in order to seem special or make them look like outsiders to their gullible fanbase and naive interviewers. They use their website to claim "Internet is evil", ok, that is contradictory. They are supposed to like anonymity and at the same time the Internetz is full of pictures of them; each release comes with new pictures.

I like their music, but they don't need to give cheap and vain claims. I guess that they know that the conspiracy junk sells well among the apocalyptic and conspiranoic fanbase BoC has.

It is all junk they say to sell albums and a profile of "mistery". Geogaddy lasts for 66 minutes and 6 seconds. Ohhhhhhhh!
Well... they just stretched the minutes in the silent Magic Window song to make the whole album last 66:06.

With everything you literally just acknowledged about them genuinely being so sceptical about the effects that technology and urban living has, and how much it influences their work, as well as you literally wondering if they live life as luddites, you straight up now think the whole thing is just a cheap gimmick and they're just "trying to make themselves look like outsiders to their gullible fanbase"? What?

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 2175
Joined: 7 Feb 2014
Location: London, UK
I tend to spend my time hate-using the internet, if that helps. It is possible.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 397
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
The Spaniard wrote:
When they made that claim (early 2000s?), Internet wasn't what it is nowadays, not even close. To me the claim of "Internet is evil" is one of the several hollow, cheap and vain claims they have given over the years. The claims that they come up with in order to seem special or make them look like outsiders to their gullible fanbase and naive interviewers. They use their website to claim "Internet is evil", ok, that is contradictory. They are supposed to like anonymity and at the same time the Internetz is full of pictures of them; each release comes with new pictures.

I like their music, but they don't need to give cheap and vain claims. I guess that they know that the conspiracy junk sells well among the apocalyptic and conspiranoic fanbase BoC has.


It's an interesting perspective seeing all this lore as a marketing gimmick. They're certainly not the first band to do the mystery angle. The Residents had turned the whole anonymity and secretive thing into an art form while BOC were still in diapers.

I feel like The Residents, there is some truth to their actions but mixed in with some theatrics. I feel people just take BOC's mystifications more seriously than the Residents because they aren't wearing giant eyeball heads with top hats.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests