GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
They sure are unique lads...

Boqurant
I think it's not often enough that people remember that BoC is a project that got out of hands. I think it would be foolish to say that the brothers have just been doing absolutely nothing for decades on end except when they need to crank out a new Boards record. It is not a stretch to say that they are likely always working on music, but that it is probably not nearly as often as you would like that the music happens to be Boards of Canada music. That's my take on the situation. Again, BoC is just a project, not a way of life. I would agree that it would be ridiculous to assume they are just holed up in Scotland doing nothing for decades. You know they have kids and families, right? Living in total seclusion is not conducive to the best family situation. They aren't too crazy, and I would bet that BoC is just their outlet to get all of the occasional negative thoughts and cynicism out in a healthy manner.

Sherbet Head
They said so themselves that they think a lot of fans take everything they communicate WAY too seriously, be it interviews, hidden samples, themes, etc. Their social media comms is certainly another good example. It's just them toying with ideas, opinions and what's on their minds and then recording it, so yes take it with a pinch of salt and just enjoy the f**** music.

I mean, look at this thread. No offense but if you look at it from third person view it's a lot of blathering about theories, assumptions, and about what actually? It's not really going anywhere. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying there shouldn't be any theories, assumptions, etc. Just don't forget it's not really all that important or serious in any way.

Ultimately music is just an art form for escapism, enjoyment, to channel emotions and/or to express oneself.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Eagle Minded
I've been wondering for years now if the Boards of Canada project is finished now. I wonder if they are releasing other music as either individuals or together, from scratch, with no support other than what the budding new artist would have at hand. It's obvious their love of music is greater than their love of success, otherwise they'd be doing sellout tours like other warp artists. It is very possible they have excellent music sitting out there that has about 3 listens on soundcloud. I think they would just love the challenge of that.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:Lately though, there are a few examples of non-artistic integrity from them. The limited print poster from Bleep that some dude in Japan is now selling for (I kid you not) 1969$, selling Dayvan Cowboy to some car commercial and now the BBC sessions with XYZ (making BOC completionists like me spend $25 for one song.)

However, I understand why they do it. Everybody gotta eat 8)

Do you actually think that selling promotional posters and occasionally making royalties is in the same world as literally constructing themes they don't truly have passion for just to rinse their fans for money? All of what you mention is managed by their record label, it's on a completely different level and has absolutely nothing to do with their actual artistic output as The Spaniard is saying. I mean, do you actually think that they just withheld XYZ to re-release it later for more money?

Sherbet Head
sixtyniner wrote:
Echelon wrote:Lately though, there are a few examples of non-artistic integrity from them. The limited print poster from Bleep that some dude in Japan is now selling for (I kid you not) 1969$, selling Dayvan Cowboy to some car commercial and now the BBC sessions with XYZ (making BOC completionists like me spend $25 for one song.)

However, I understand why they do it. Everybody gotta eat 8)

Do you actually think that selling promotional posters and occasionally making royalties is in the same world as literally constructing themes they don't truly have passion for just to rinse their fans for money? All of what you mention is managed by their record label, it's on a completely different level and has absolutely nothing to do with their actual artistic output as The Spaniard is saying. I mean, do you actually think that they just withheld XYZ to re-release it later for more money?

This.

Also, even if they were the ones behind it they would still preserve their integrity, because they did not create the art itself for profit in the first place. When an opportunity arises to actually make some money out of it later on has nothing to do with that.

It's not like "hey we really need some money, let's create some art and make it sell it to the masses"? They just create what they want and when they want and thank god they don't listen to the wishes of their fans. Fuck all that.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Posts Quantity
The Spaniard wrote:In this case, the artist (The Bros) don't necessarily need to follow what their art transmit.

Not everything they include is a sincere endorsement, and I'm fully aware of that. I really doubt they believe in chemtrails or FEMA camps, but I have major contentions with the cynical idea that these samples are included just to boost sales instead of it being a flirtation/playing with dark conspiratorial themes in their music as a form of artistic expression. They find David Koresh crazy, but to say they don't actually care for or appreciate his ideas and just used him as the means to boosting sales is ridiculous.

The Spaniard wrote:Some groups have an identity or aesthetic and the members of the band don't always follow that identity. Also, BoC's aesthetic has changed over the years, and this fact takes us back to the same idea: each album is inspired by certain ideas that have nothing to do with the band.
They read about X and Y and they come up with an album inspired by X and Y. They read about the Branch Davidians and they came up with an amazing EP influenced by cults and "religious communities" that sold well.

This isn't proof of anything except that they like variance in their themes and don't want to express the same theme each album. As I say, I agree that not everything they put in is some endorsement, but you're completely ignoring the inherent meaning and purpose behind some of what they produce, how much of it is effected by their own beliefs and passions, and instead saying rather cynically it's just the means to the end of making more sales.

The Spaniard wrote:I always try to take what they say with a pinch of salt. I really don't think they agree with the statement of Internet being evil. Yes, there are bad things about it, but come on...

It's probably a bit hyperbolic and tongue in cheek when they use the word "evil", but I don't actually know how you can just think it's a gimmick or part of an insincere aesthetic when you read into their interviews and see that they actually view technology in a certain way. And as I was saying, these kind of personal ideas do absolutely influence their music, and is part of the reason why I think they gravitated towards certain themes, for example the Branch Davidians.

Marcus: The theme of that EP was the idea that you can try to have an idealistic way of life out in the country, but only on the condition that the authorities approve it. The Branch Davidians were just an illustration for a bigger issue. Disregarding the fact that David Koresh’s beliefs were maybe crazy, that whole incident was a brutal reminder that we’re all basically toeing the line.

What you are saying is that not only are their themes the means to the end of making more money instead of genuine sincere artistic expression, they are lying through their teeth when they talk in interviews about their personal ideas and viewpoints, which is a cynical viewpoint.

Dayvan Cowboy
I really do think they approved all of that stuff I mentioned because they needed some money. However, I believe they approved that stuff because they didn't want to make money by selling out musically instead.

Sorry, I think I misused the term artistic integrity in my earlier post, since they do still have it. Musically they're not teaming up with Cardi B and producing a top 40 hip-hop album. They just are benefitting from the record company commercializing their art.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
If you compare other artists that do monetize heavily... and those that do not... Tool being an example, they are really pretty quiet. I have worked with labels and distribution of merchandise and can say man some are all about that and they come up with too many stupid products... others that were cherished but had little music output... the record company would try to monetize some of it themselves such as pressing new record copies to keep people talking and to keep people interested in those particular artists... i see it more as “in the meantime” remember this

Posts Quantity
Interesting discussion here... I think the thing with the fans is somewhere in the middle... as you said, after Geogaddi BOC said there was too much analyzing of numbers (leading up to satanism) etc. rather than just enjoying complex unique music as it is... then there was Campfire Headphase, which was just like "f.k everything, relax and just travel through mind and time"... so I think yes, they said they think their fans are savvy cool people that understand some deeper meaning but also some sort of wit, humor in their music, while not taking things literally, still focusing on music and sounds above everything else, just as "don't go too deep into stuff around it"...

Regarding their other work, from what I know from official sources they are sound/music producers so obviously they do some sound work of their unique sound style building up over the years for other bands, I mean singles/albums not just remixes, I think it could started around 2010 or 2013... so this would be their "full-time job" probably (with slowly but properly cooking some new BOC stuff meanwhile in the background... :] )

So I'd say - stay calm because they have many hidden stuff that can be released any day, that's one difference from other bands, second - if there's something out, it will be (and must be) another original gem sounding like nothing before...

Dayvan Cowboy
Bocmerch Image Me

Dayvan Cowboy
Warp
My money

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't think BOC that are the ones particularly seeing much of a financial return from these items. I also don't think it is hypocritical to have an idea of purity that you translate and put across in music despite the fact it isn't something you have achieved yet yourself. Some ideals aren't all that feasible. Ironically, I bet that the money they do see from merch and reissue sales, after Warp take their slice, actually goes towards making it more feasible.

Dayvan Cowboy
This will get me screamed at from higher up if I don't phrase it correctly, but why do you think someone (who is entirely theoretical) on a Major label would have a day job? Particularly a group where only the more dedicated fans actually buy physical copies of anything. If said theoretical people also had a need for multiple items of gear that cost thousands of pounds a unit, sometimes just to create sounds that end up being several seconds of an entire album and purely for the artistic integrity and authenticity of the track, maybe the return they see on that investment isn't as magically high as some think it is.

Dayvan Cowboy
Also for the record, I ain't criticizing BOC. I'm mostly just finding ways to talk about them since there's really nothing else to discuss.

I just want more music so I'll stop being a bored fan and analyzing their marketing habits :)

Dayvan Cowboy
No worries Echelon!

What I wrote on the last page wasn't directed towards you, and you are about as loyal a fan as it gets at times.

I reported my own comment with the last one there, it was too late to remove it, but the mods aren't awake at the moment. I think mentioning "the occupation" isn't advised and I probably shouldn't have.

Posts Quantity
sixtyniner wrote:What you are saying is that not only are their themes the means to the end of making more money instead of genuine sincere artistic expression, they are lying through their teeth when they talk in interviews about their personal ideas and viewpoints, which is a cynical viewpoint.

I wish I could edit the post you are refering to, in order to explain myself better, but for whatever reason I don't see the "edit" option.

They sell us their music, they sell us their art. The market is the ultimate place where they send their albums, I don't think that what moves them to create their albums is their "genuine sincere artistic expression". It isn't just the money either, and this is what I would have modified from my comment. There are more things than money behind the creation of an album, but it is naive to think it is just art for art's sake what moves them. $30 t-shirts, $25 LPs and $30 posters (and this is not a criticism, I am glad to pay for their music and help them).

They have wives, children, cars, houses, a mortgage to pay; not much time for idealism.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:No worries Echelon!

What I wrote on the last page wasn't directed towards you, and you are about as loyal a fan as it gets at times.

I reported my own comment with the last one there, it was too late to remove it, but the mods aren't awake at the moment. I think mentioning "the occupation" isn't advised and I probably shouldn't have.

Oh I didn't mean you, Valo, you're always very understanding. I meant to some other people like Sixtyniner and such.

Didn't see anything wrong with your post since it's purely speculation, but it never hurts to be safe with that.

Posts Quantity
Valotonin wrote:This will get me screamed at from higher up if I don't phrase it correctly, but why do you think someone (who is entirely theoretical) on a Major label would have a day job? Particularly a group where only the more dedicated fans actually buy physical copies of anything. If said theoretical people also had a need for multiple items of gear that cost thousands of pounds a unit, sometimes just to create sounds that end up being several seconds of an entire album and purely for the artistic integrity and authenticity of the track, maybe the return they see on that investment isn't as magically high as some think it is.

Yes, I agree with you. They probably have a side job or projects (somebody said producing music for other bands). Two brothers that have regular lives and jobs/projects and somehow when they find time, they work together and come up with great albums uner the BoC moniker.

Posts Quantity
The Spaniard wrote:The market is the ultimate place where they send their albums, I don't think that what moves them to create their albums is their "genuine sincere artistic expression". It isn't just the money either, and this is what I would have modified from my comment. There are more things than money behind the creation of an album, but it is naive to think it is just art for art's sake what moves them. $30 t-shirts, $25 LPs and $30 posters (and this is not a criticism, I am glad to pay for their music and help them).

What the discussion before was about was what influenced the themes in their music, and now you are talking about what motivates them to release more music. I'm not going to deny that financial gain is a potential motivation to release more music, but that cannot inherently say anything about what influences the themes they explore in that artistic expression, and what that means about the sincerity of those ideas and how much those ideas may have been influenced by their own convictions. The brothers of all people have much more artistic integrity than many today and it's obvious that they love making music and primarily it's still a hobby and a big part of their lives. They are on record saying that they would still be making music for themselves if nobody else and have no intention of stopping.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada