GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
We are in the deflation period of a BoC-Hype-Breadcrumb-Trail Balloon session -- everyone take care of yourselves until the helium tank is tapped once again.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Dayvan Cowboy
You know, a space album makes total logical sense both from both a narrative perspective in BOC's own work and what's going on in this planet right now! It just clicked in my brain what the final tracks in Tomorrow's Harvest mean.

New Seeds= People leaving a dying earth to "fertilize" other planets. There's a hopeful feeling that the human race will continue
Come To Dust = The unfortunate people who couldn't escape facing their last moments alive
Seeds of the Dead= The people who were left behind, now fertilize the cold earth with their corpses

I visualize the next album as an escapist soundtrack combined with some sixties/seventies influence with a jet black album cover and some kind of low-fi image of a rocket or some other kind of space gadgetry on the cover.

I don't know about you, but I'm ready for the space age! :D
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:You know, a space album makes total logical sense both from both a narrative perspective in BOC's own work and what's going on in this planet right now! It just clicked in my brain what the final tracks in Tomorrow's Harvest mean.

New Seeds= People leaving a dying earth to "fertilize" other planets. There's a hopeful feeling that the human race will continue
Come To Dust = The unfortunate people who couldn't escape facing their last moments alive
Seeds of the Dead= The people who were left behind, now fertilize the cold earth with their corpses

I visualize the next album as an escapist soundtrack combined with some sixties/seventies influence with a jet black album cover and some kind of low-fi image of a rocket or some other kind of space gadgetry on the cover.

I don't know about you, but I'm ready for the space age! :D

Ha, that's an interesting idea of the new direction BoC could take. But, frankly, I would like new BoC music to be much more "hazy-meadows-of-childhood" type of thing similar to random 35 tracks tape ... With everything going on in the world today this can sound like repetition of old approach amid chaos, but I don't think it would be escapist at all. Sometimes context changes everything - read Borges' short story "Pierre Menard, author of the Quixote" for example. So going back to the sound of, say, 5.9.78 today would be poignantly beautiful IMO.
all things shining

Eagle Minded
gestell wrote:read Borges' short story "Pierre Menard, author of the Quixote" for example. So going back to the sound of, say, 5.9.78 today would be poignantly beautiful IMO.

2 "things":

1. "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote" is a wonderful story -- x2 for suggestion

2. "5.9.78" is one of their best songs Perfectly captures their genius melodymaking.

On another note, I was revisiting Twoism last night and was astonished, all over again, at how simple most of the album is. It's one of the most poignant albums for me. The dissonance and simplicity are masterful. Would love to hear them make another downtempo, bare-bones album like that.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Eagle Minded
The banner imo reveals a more minimal/pagan-like vibe. It reminded me of the occult themes of Geogaddi and IABPOITC. If we listen to societas x and their remixes recently, it reflects a more rock-esque vibe... especially with mr mistake and sometimes. I also hope they do more of the wild styles on Random 35, but am also hoping for a more distorted guitar type album. I loved the guitar swell/fade in on Sometimes, and I also heard a similar guitar part briefly in mr. Mistake. Societas X barely resembled what we know from them and hope it is something entirely new. My personal hopes are for a more new wave 60’s psychedelic style album... with distorted guitars and funk beats, and orchestral pieces or something with their usual lush magic!

Eagle Minded
Societas X didn't resemble them? It was basically all music they ever mentioned in interviews since the beginning. These individual artists sometimes made no sense how can they be influences but when heard together like this it makes perfect sense. In every single one of those tracks you could hear an element that could be easily made by them. It could be anything from synth arpeggio to a recording straight off tape, I would go as far to even certain techniques how instruments were recorded and produced.

Eagle Minded
I've a feeling this has got something to do with a BoCset. the reasoning being we already got vinyl reissues, and frankly I don't think BoC would be so thematically straightforward to directly use one of the most recognizable artifacts from space travel as a representation of the direction of any new music. I really don't think they'd just say "hey this is our SPACE ALBUM LMAO", they've never had such strong allegiance to a singular aesthetic. Like, TH promotion used aesthetics indicative of the cold war and nuclear holocaust, but they didn't post a clip from Dr. Strangelove!
Thus, if this means anything, I think this is indicative of old material coming to light. A golden BoC record launched to us from far away in the past. Fingers tightly crossed !
member of pablo col.
https://www.pacol.bandcamp.com

Eagle Minded
Moz wrote:Societas X didn't resemble them? It was basically all music they ever mentioned in interviews since the beginning. These individual artists sometimes made no sense how can they be influences but when heard together like this it makes perfect sense. In every single one of those tracks you could hear an element that could be easily made by them. It could be anything from synth arpeggio to a recording straight off tape, I would go as far to even certain techniques how instruments were recorded and produced.
I didn’t mean you couldn’t find what equals them through those tracks, and some sounded a lot like them, i meant it had a lot more guitar based tracks and while we have campfire headphase, we don’t really have any rock stuff from them except maybe one or two tracks. It is only my personal wish that they release a rock album. Nothing more. Also hope the next one is reminiscent of in a beautiful place. But i would take anything from them.

Posts Quantity
Betterthanyourkids wrote:I've a feeling this has got something to do with a BoCset. the reasoning being we already got vinyl reissues, and frankly I don't think BoC would be so thematically straightforward to directly use one of the most recognizable artifacts from space travel as a representation of the direction of any new music. I really don't think they'd just say "hey this is our SPACE ALBUM LMAO", they've never had such strong allegiance to a singular aesthetic. Like, TH promotion used aesthetics indicative of the cold war and nuclear holocaust, but they didn't post a clip from Dr. Strangelove!
Thus, if this means anything, I think this is indicative of old material coming to light. A golden BoC record launched to us from far away in the past. Fingers tightly crossed !

I don’t really think they’re interested in releasing old material considering how they reacted after the leaks. Those leaks kind of set the tone for their post-geogaddi interactions with fans. Am I wrong?

Eagle Minded
writetomhatcher wrote:
Betterthanyourkids wrote:I've a feeling this has got something to do with a BoCset. the reasoning being we already got vinyl reissues, and frankly I don't think BoC would be so thematically straightforward to directly use one of the most recognizable artifacts from space travel as a representation of the direction of any new music. I really don't think they'd just say "hey this is our SPACE ALBUM LMAO", they've never had such strong allegiance to a singular aesthetic. Like, TH promotion used aesthetics indicative of the cold war and nuclear holocaust, but they didn't post a clip from Dr. Strangelove!

I don’t really think they’re interested in releasing old material considering how they reacted after the leaks. Those leaks kind of set the tone for their post-geogaddi interactions with fans. Am I wrong?

I imagine this had more to do with the betrayal of trust than it had to do with it being old material.

Eagle Minded
writetomhatcher wrote:

Well, as recently as 2009 (so definitely post-geogaddi), MDG did say they were interested in compiling their favorite old material for release. However, that's 11 years ago now, and they themselves do not mention this in the TH era interviews, so I suppose it could go either way
member of pablo col.
https://www.pacol.bandcamp.com

Posts Quantity
b0qurant wrote:
writetomhatcher wrote:

I imagine this had more to do with the betrayal of trust than it had to do with it being old material.

I think both reasons are connected. The material was never intended for wide release, and I’m not sure why that would change... Although their tweeting of the Buckie High video might indicate they are glad fans can hear those old tunes.

Boqurant

Yeah, I agree, their themes seem to be up to interpretation based around a few solid foundations. Like TH for example sounds kinda desolate, spacey, cold, around the theme of the collapse of society and the nature of our reality. It's more nuanced and complicated than just "GLOBAL WARMING IS BAD"
Honestly, I would take a BoC Legacy Set in a heartbeat, I think it's definitely possible, in the past they have expressed interest in releasing a few of their old tunes. I'd throw down some decent money to get cool official releases of some of their early tracks.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:Oh fuck, here we go! The fact that they're using the pioneer plaque ties in with all the space imagery scattered throughout the Societas X tape!

-"This Flat Earth" has a lot of talk of space and whatnot in the radio chatter scattered throughout
-"Vulcan Mind Probe" by George Duke is named after the thing from Star Trek
-"35,000 Feet" is by a band called "Jupiter Prophet" and references the challenger explosion
-The "wind tunnel" interlude possibly refers to the wind tunnels used by various space administrations for testing things?
-The rocketship countdown sample during "Light In Darkness" that's not on the original YMO album
-The reversed track near the end of the tape is called "Little Star" (this one is a bit of a stretch lol)

I also think that the whole tape in general has a rather "space-y" feel about it even when it's not directly referencing outer space, though that might just be a matter of personal projection. A space-themed BoC release would be fucking awesome lmao

Did I miss any other direct space references on the tape?

Underrated post from Jango9 and one reason why I'm willing to consider a space theme, even if I do agree that they wouldn't be as blatant as I initially said.

Either way, I don't mind a space theme or something more in the vein of their remixes and other tracks on societas. :D
Last edited by Echelon on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
I would definitely love a nice wooden box with the hexagon plaque containing 5+ lps of old tunes...

Boqurant
bungler666 wrote:I would definitely love a nice wooden box with the hexagon plaque containing 5+ lps of old tunes...

That sounds lovely. Sign me up.
------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Dayvan Cowboy
The one thing that lends to the banner promoting archival material is it being posted on Hell Interface. HI has always represented the pseudonym used when Mike and Marcus work underground, and what's more underground than the countless tapes of music we've never heard before?

The fact that it's Music Has The Right To Children era symbolism also suggests something from their past.

Also, they finally got the license to release XYZ as an archival track. Perhaps they've gotten it for other tracks too?

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Also, they finally got the license to release XYZ as an archival track. Perhaps they've gotten it for other tracks too?

That's a very good point

Eagle Minded
I re-listened to R35, and both Old Tunes today, and feel like I’m in the minority hoping we would get a new album and not remastered old work. I mean, they are cool, but honestly just sketches, of which we were never supposed to even receive.

Eagle Minded
Navaru wrote:I re-listened to R35, and both Old Tunes today, and feel like I’m in the minority hoping we would get a new album and not remastered old work. I mean, they are cool, but honestly just sketches, of which we were never supposed to even receive.

I'm really, really on the fence with this one but I think I'd rather have another Geogaddi or MHTRTC than the BoC Set. But I'd rather have the BoC set over another Tomorrows Harvest for sure... Not saying it was bad, but man I really want some good, fun, melodic BoC. The BoC set would be nice if it included not only pre-twoism stuff but also the outtakes from Geogaddi and such. Old Tunes was just their best pre-twoism tracks compiled to send to labels if im not mistaken. Old Tunes Vol.1 and 2 are amazing and if they have lots more like that then I'm on board, but what if we've heard the best of it... I'd love to hear more Geogaddi era stuff tho, that album is something else. Either way, new BoC is new BoC and I highly doubt we'll be disappointed either way.
no information at this moment in time

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada