Switch to full style
Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.
Post a reply

Re: GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:44 am

Let's keep it on topic. :idea:

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:04 pm

No idea if this was posted here before. At least its not off topic :lol:
I think such a release would be the best thing Boards of Canada could ever do. But, I do understand if they wish for this material to stay unreleased.

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:51 pm

The few old tunes and random 35 tracks tape are some of my favourite BoC material. Those tracks being officially released as well as more from that era would be an absolute dream come true.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:57 am

Props to Fredd-E for compiling easy to follow maps for these rumors and theories.

If they are true, nothing much we can do but sit back and enjoy the music of either Warp or countless other artists in the world.

I'm already nose deep in various detours throughout musical history.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:23 am

Invalid24 wrote:Image

No idea if this was posted here before. At least its not off topic :lol:
I think such a release would be the best thing Boards of Canada could ever do. But, I do understand if they wish for this material to stay unreleased.

With the release of TH, the main BOC catalogue, which was reissued (which also was unavailable before, as I reckon). Warp could do the same thing... With the release of the new record, release some OT. A perfect storm, to introduce some an old BOC to the outside audience, in my opinion.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:59 pm

The reason the album is taking longer than usual to release is because they've most definitely been working on the BoCset concurrently with the album which takes much more time than some think. Their catalog of samples and recordings is obviously a unordered mix of tapes, audio files and cds. And if you ask why they don't just release the cd remasters they made in 1997 of their old stuff, those cd remasters were most likely not that great, and won't make the cut in terms of quality. They will most likely have to remake some entire songs because of the terrible audio quality they were either recorded at or stored at, while at the same time making a whole album. Give them a break guys, they're working really hard.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:06 pm

sandrail wrote:The reason the album is taking longer than usual to release is because they've most definitely been working on the BoCset concurrently with the album which takes much more time than some think. Their catalog of samples and recordings is obviously a unordered mix of tapes, audio files and cds. And if you ask why they don't just release the cd remasters they made in 1997 of their old stuff, those cd remasters were most likely not that great, and won't make the cut in terms of quality. They will most likely have to remake some entire songs because of the terrible audio quality they were either recorded at or stored at, while at the same time making a whole album. Give them a break guys, they're working really hard.

You speak....... as if you know........ for sure.....................that this is the case.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:06 pm

:shock:

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:35 pm

bakedsodium wrote:and fuck his paywalled forum.

i just realized that that means mdg has to pay 3 quid per year, just to tell people to shut up about fake tunes
poor bastard lol

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:55 pm

lol

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:54 am

I, for one, would be absolutely gutted if it was a bocset. Seriously, old stuff that was subpar to anything and everything they have done since, by a loooong shot? I would feel like it would have been a humongous waste of time and curation. A bocset is good for when you retire and the editor/publisher goes through your vault and reheat the leftovers.

All this time waiting, for that?

I don't need no stinkin' bocset.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:35 am

enjoy tomorrow's harvest moon

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:40 am

sandrail wrote:The reason the album is taking longer than usual to release is because they've most definitely been working on the BoCset concurrently with the album which takes much more time than some think. Their catalog of samples and recordings is obviously a unordered mix of tapes, audio files and cds. And if you ask why they don't just release the cd remasters they made in 1997 of their old stuff, those cd remasters were most likely not that great, and won't make the cut in terms of quality. They will most likely have to remake some entire songs because of the terrible audio quality they were either recorded at or stored at, while at the same time making a whole album. Give them a break guys, they're working really hard.

If we take the "multiple records being mastered" theory into account, that'd be the best case scenario really.

And yeah I've really got no pressure for these guys. Their career has already given me enough joy. I only chill here in hopes I will continue to be amazed by them.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:47 am

Magrathea wrote:I, for one, would be absolutely gutted if it was a bocset. Seriously, old stuff that was subpar to anything and everything they have done since, by a loooong shot? I would feel like it would have been a humongous waste of time and curation. A bocset is good for when you retire and the editor/publisher goes through your vault and reheat the leftovers.

That's just like your opinion man

I keep reiterating this as the chat moves forward but.. As a listener, the audience is owed nothing.

I welcome opinions on them as an artist, but am irritated when people project expectations on them. As musicians, they've made themselves be in a position where they don't need to consistently tour and placate people over their art. That's the best place to be in creatively and I'm lucky enough that they opt in to give something back to their listeners.

Again, there is nothing owed. This reminds me of fans shouting at the Beatles or Pink Floyd or whomever in a greater extending catalogue thru time to release content always. It's un-reality, and it seems like an unhealthy para-social place to be with musicians with whom you love their work.

My final point being, I respect your opinion, but don't think expectations matter

Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:56 am

Magrathea wrote:I, for one, would be absolutely gutted if it was a bocset. Seriously, old stuff that was subpar to anything and everything they have done since, by a loooong shot? I would feel like it would have been a humongous waste of time and curation. A bocset is good for when you retire and the editor/publisher goes through your vault and reheat the leftovers.

Wow, stinkin' bocset?
I didn't know it stunk, In that case I'm guessing you've already heard it, feel free to DM me the leaked BoCset so I can hear how stinky this thing really is.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:11 am

I think that in terms of material to be uncovered we already know that the early takes of BoC music are perceived by the band as private and probably shall stay that way, if we were offered the proposed bocset, it would most likely contain outtakes and revised old tunes.
(although after all the countless remasters of AFOT, OTV2 & R35TT I really like the lofi quality and i wonder about the official release taking away the magic.)
The bocset is not confirmed, the last time mdg posted here was 2015, in 2008 he said it is 99% going to happen. I know some of us are clamouring for unreleased material, but I think we all have different opinions for wether we want it released. Like NTMFTS I would be happy with what they come up with, there shouldn’t be expectation and things take time.

What we do know is that (from fredd-E) we have two sources claiming production lag on an album, one that Fredd-E has no belief is a troll (Jaimieboy) and one who could be jumping on the twoism train for speculation as reddit isn’t particularly trustworthy for info. All we can do is wait, it’s not up to us and it never was.

So let’s all hope the twoism speculation train arrives on time at the next stop “BOC album No.5” as I undoubtedly think it will :wink:

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:57 pm

NorthSaturnian wrote:
bakedsodium wrote:and fuck his paywalled forum.

i just realized that that means mdg has to pay 3 quid per year, just to tell people to shut up about fake tunes
poor bastard lol

He deserves to be paid 3 quid a year for dealing with people putting words in Mike & Marcus' mouths.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:00 pm

Davism wrote:

You speak....... as if you know........ for sure.....................that this is the case.

This is speculation based off my experience remastering audio. My dad had a garage band in the 80s, everything was stored on cassettes and I was remastering them at one point. Had to go through all these hurdles to get decently sounding audio.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:47 pm

demo wrote:
Magrathea wrote:

Wow, stinkin' bocset?
I didn't know it stunk, In that case I'm guessing you've already heard it, feel free to DM me the leaked BoCset so I can hear how stinky this thing really is.

you missed the pun entirely :)

phpBB [media]

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:51 pm

NTFMTS wrote:

That's just like your opinion man

I keep reiterating this as the chat moves forward but.. As a listener, the audience is owed nothing.

I welcome opinions on them as an artist, but am irritated when people project expectations on them. As musicians, they've made themselves be in a position where they don't need to consistently tour and placate people over their art. That's the best place to be in creatively and I'm lucky enough that they opt in to give something back to their listeners.

Again, there is nothing owed. This reminds me of fans shouting at the Beatles or Pink Floyd or whomever in a greater extending catalogue thru time to release content always. It's un-reality, and it seems like an unhealthy para-social place to be with musicians with whom you love their work.

My final point being, I respect your opinion, but don't think expectations matter

Well, as a musician I know that my audience has expectations, and as the time rolls, they expect me to bend some to give them what they need, any band that has been even remotely pupular is like this... you have to play the classics, that you like it or not has no importance, you are a provider of a service, in this case, art, and you can either tell your audience to just take it, or you can deliver.

So, artistically, they can do as they want, as a provider of goods, the public has expectations. I know it's cold and harsh, but that's the way this has devolved into and I agree, it sucks.

Point is, New >> Rehashed in my opinion, I mean, how many versions of Rock and Roll all night does the world need?
Post a reply