Switch to full style
Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.
Post a reply

Re: GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:46 pm

mechanismj wrote:Image

'Tis a top quality meme, but oh blimey, don't get me ruddy started on Stranger Things. I'm in the #IKnewKateBushBeforeRUTHGotFamous camp. If that ain't a mouthful enough hashtag. :wink:

If there was a reality where Play By Numbers saved Max's life, I can imagine this place would be swamped by rabid Netflix fans. "Numerator" (tiktok cover) by ShantellGaddi69-er! :lol:

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:05 pm

I wonder how BOC feel about eighties nostalgia from people who were never there?

Going by Marcus in that TH interview about Instagram, I'm sure they'd have some funny, crotchety remark about it.

Been on an eighties phase myself but it had more to do with that new Tears For Fears album XD

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:34 pm

Echelon wrote:I wonder how BOC feel about eighties nostalgia from people who were never there?

Going by Marcus in that TH interview about Instagram, I'm sure they'd have some funny, crotchety remark about it.

Been on an eighties phase myself but it had more to do with that new Tears For Fears album XD

I earnestly believe the '80s to be the most influential decade on modern pop culture and love so many genres that got boosted during that time to death (New Wave, Post Punk, Industrial, Darkwave, House, Synthpop, the list goes on), but I can't stand it when people just latch onto the "aEsThEtIc" of the eighties because Mike Score had a unique hair-do (their first album was actually fantastic btw) or they listened to too much Vaporwave. The overproduced sound of pop music in the latter half of the decade is probably the worst "dated sound" of the past 60 years IMO. The decade is a treasure trove of great music if you search beyond the FM hits stations.

Rant over.
-some person that never lived in the '80s

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:59 pm

lots of people seem to have an incredibly caricaturized, shallow / surface level idea of the 80s, all hair metal and Miami Vice, over produced pop and so on.. but in reality it was one of the most evolutionary times for probably every single art form. we saw the birth of hip hop, electronic music, and multiple facets of experimental music.. it is definitely a "pet peeve" of mine how (ignorant) people view and judge that decade.

it seems to be largely from people viewing technological advancements in art as perversion or something, but that is clearly just a massive misunderstanding.

Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:50 pm

The 80s were very bleak in many regards, and I feel the pessimistic outlook many of us felt translates very well to modern times, you know, with ww3 looming over us and all…

Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:57 pm

Adding to the above posts (which are both great) the stuff on Societas that came from the eighties is a great example of what lied beneath the surface of the mainstream. It's genuinely some dark, esoteric and highly creative stuff that influenced our favorite IDM band.

I guess the choices BOC made for their mixtape is their thoughts on the eighties and what was the best music at the time and why they prefer the eighties to the nineties in that one interview.

Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:07 pm

The 90s are a soft-spot era for me, all of the different sounds that the 80s created the foundations for and built, the 90's took off and ran with. West-coast hip-hop, Madchester, Big-beat (a subgenre of late-80s Acid.), Hardcore-Industrial, Trip-hop.

These listed decades all had a such a wide variety of sounds and styles, from the 70's-00's, I couldn't favour one over the other. :D

Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:55 pm

Orbited insanitarium wrote:The 90s are a soft-spot era for me, all of the different sounds that the 80s created the foundations for and built, the 90's took off and ran with. West-coast hip-hop, Madchester, Big-beat (a subgenre of late-80s Acid.), Hardcore-Industrial, Trip-hop.

These listed decades all had a such a wide variety of sounds and styles, from the 70's-00's, I couldn't favour one over the other. :D

All the decades have their own specific greatness, but I find it better to divide each decade in half instead of just clumping everything as just "the '80s" or "the '90s" (thank you music services for perpetuating this line of thought :roll: ). All the trends just kind of react to each other. Innovative new wave acts get exposure when MTV comes out, video kills the radio star as we all know, the latter half gets flashy and commercial, then the teens and young adults of the MTV generation go back to innovative styles like the Rave and Grunge scenes.

In my opinion, though, the '90s is my personal favorite for electronica. Club music seemed to get boring towards the end of the 2000s after Trance and Euro-House got traded for EDM and Brostep. The same for DnB (one of, if not, my all time favorite genres), but I think the recent trend of Breakcore is giving some new life to the genre.

Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:59 pm

1980's reminds Me of Cold War, missiles stockpiles around 50 000 to 80 000 on EACH side, nuclear exercises in schools. Paranoia was rampant, and it was truly a "no future" time.

Strangely enough, today is much more of a "no future" era

Let's get our collective asses in gear.

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:20 pm

Magrathea wrote:1980's reminds Me of Cold War, missiles stockpiles around 50 000 to 80 000 on EACH side, nuclear exercises in schools. Paranoia was rampant, and it was truly a "no future" time.

Strangely enough, today is much more of a "no future" era

Let's get our collective asses in gear.

Correction on numbers, sorry

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:42 pm

Magrathea wrote:Let's get our collective asses in gear.

I can't even muster a sarcastic joke, it's just depressing now.

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:52 pm

The one thing I will admit is that as depressing as the climate is now, the music release climate is the opposite. Ironically I wake up excited to hear of more big arty bands and artists releasing more stuff. Everyday the elusive Cure, MBV and BOC albums seem ever closer as all their peers throw their hats in the ring.

I guess darkness breeds inspiration from the artists within us :D

Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:29 pm

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else hears it but the opening track of the Radiohead side project begins sounding quite a bit like New Seeds! I know Thom is a fan and you don't know how nice it sounds to hear a potential reference/influence from TH :D

Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:16 pm

Echelon wrote:Also, I'm not sure if anyone else hears it but the opening track of the Radiohead side project begins sounding quite a bit like New Seeds! I know Thom is a fan and you don't know how nice it sounds to hear a potential reference/influence from TH :D

good catch! I thought the same
bro all 3 NYC shows sold out :( .. so sad
such a good record

Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:50 am

BoC will do the soundtrack to the remake of Flight of the Navigator. It WILL happen.

Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:54 am

Echelon wrote:Also, I'm not sure if anyone else hears it but the opening track of the Radiohead side project begins sounding quite a bit like New Seeds! I know Thom is a fan and you don't know how nice it sounds to hear a potential reference/influence from TH :D

Just started listening to this album. Holy shit it's good!

Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:23 pm

The only possible explanation...

Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:34 pm

HudMo either 29th July or 13th August because Bleep have given both as release dates

Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:47 pm

I retain a sliver of hope for the 666th release. We're at 665 now so the next one shall be the length of Geogaddi ;)

I hope even if it isn't BOC they at least pick someone else who is evil. Like OPN or the Analord himself haha

Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:29 pm

Echelon wrote:I retain a sliver of hope for the 666th release. We're at 665 now so the next one shall be the length of Geogaddi ;)

I hope even if it isn't BOC they at least pick someone else who is evil. Like OPN or the Analord himself haha

the day is advancing ....we may experience... soon
Post a reply