*The Little Black Box Thread (plus other random twaddle)*

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
jesus this is like a benign sign from god for some of you
Live

Posts Quantity
ArbitersGround wrote:How long will it take you guys before you lose hope?

I'm still for the most part optimistic, but I'm thinking in terms of the next couple years, not new album in 2011.

If this black box just stays up there with no other kind of evidence for a few months then I might have to throw in the towel.
Or form an angry mob.

I don't believe in the supernatural, but it might be my fault there's no new album.

I swear I have a curse where whenever I get into anything, it stops. I got into Boards Of Canada a few years ago, a little after Trans Canada Highway and listened to them non-stop for about 2 years straight. No news or any kind of update whatsoever for 5 years (minus the Warp20 Unheard, which was hardly "unheard").

After finally starting to make more money, I started playing video games again (although I don't play all the time), and really got back into Zelda after a hiatus from gaming. The new game is being pushed back again and again and they've barely said any words about release dates, and when they have, its vague and not too exciting.

Then, to top it all off, I got obsessed with Mad Men after we watched two episodes in my English class. That was over Christmas. Every season has aired in the summer, but sure enough it was delayed this year as soon as I got into it, and Jon Hamm said that normally they're making new episodes now, but because of contract negotiations, there has been no work and the writers haven't even started doing anything.

Everything I love gets drastically delayed. Everything.

Mate, I hear ya on that. But as they say, patience is a virtue....
Die hard BOC fan since 1998!

Sherbet Head
What if there's a drug cartel keeping them silenced.

Sherbet Head
Seeya_Later wrote:What if there's a drug cartel keeping them silenced.

Shit, we're going to have to take action. Lock and load.

Eagle Minded
Seeya_Later wrote:What if there's a drug cartel keeping them silenced.

Yea I hear Ecstasy is hitting a slump up there right now. :idea:
Nyetscape.bandcamp.com
Nyetscape.tumblr.com

Eagle Minded

I'm still for the most part optimistic, but I'm thinking in terms of the next couple years, not new album in 2011.

I'm quite surprised that we've made it this long without speculation of whether the black box is simply a sign to their fans that they have just started to work on a new release.

New Seed
Bryan wrote:

I'm quite surprised that we've made it this long without speculation of whether the black box is simply a sign to their fans that they have just started to work on a new release.

History would tell us that's not what it means.

Dayvan Cowboy
I thought I knew patience, and then I reread http://bocpages.org/wiki/Statements_from_Hexagon_Sun

MDG has the patience of a saint ;)

Dayvan Cowboy
MrMessiah wrote:I thought I knew patience, and then I reread http://bocpages.org/wiki/Statements_from_Hexagon_Sun

It's almost nauseating reading posts by MDG back in 2007 saying "a new album is coming". Then in May 2009 he states "the new album is looming", which leads me to believe when he speaks to the band, he repeats a little of what they tell him to us... only problem is BoC probably don't know themselves when it will be released due to their perfectionist ways. If I were him, I would have also shut up at this point in the interests of not putting my foot in my mouth any longer.

I've found that not giving a shit anymore helps with the passage of time between releases. There is so much other music to explore and get caught up in, rather than obsessing over when BoC will finally do something. Of course, I do very much give a shit, but I prefer to walk away until there's something to walk towards. IMO
Last edited by ryetronics on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head

If this black box just stays up there with no other kind of evidence for a few months then I might have to throw in the towel.

A few months? Really? What is a few more months in addition to the years since the last ep? pft. Or I guess for you, two years.

ryetronics wrote:I've found that not giving a shit anymore helps with the passage of time between releases. There is so much other music to explore and get caught up in, rather than obsessing over when BoC will finally do something. Of course, I do very much give a shit, but I prefer to walk away until there's something to walk towards. IMO
Agree. There's good stuff coming out left and right. Why stress over what one group/artist is doing or not doing?

Dayvan Cowboy
ryetronics wrote:
MrMessiah wrote:I thought I knew patience, and then I reread http://bocpages.org/wiki/Statements_from_Hexagon_Sun

BoC probably don't know themselves when it will be released due to their perfectionist ways.

I'm going out on a limb here but will say that since the sandisons don't have a direct hand into the websites/twitter/etc. but instead proxies, if something happens brewing it's because someone in the know has given it a go...

[speculate=OFF]

Eagle Minded
Vexille wrote:

A few months? Really? What is a few more months in addition to the years since the last ep? pft. Or I guess for you, two years.
Well, the posts from mdg and Joyrex have sort of kept me optimistic. The black box is probably the best thing to happen in the past 5 years in terms of news. But the last time there was a black box, the artwork came two months later, apparently. It's been over a month already, so if that box stayed up there for like 5 or 6 months with no updates or anything, then I'd probably be much more persuaded to think it's a symmetry thing for the website.

Sherbet Head
I'm actually not that impatient. As stated somewhere above, there's plenty of other music to hold my interest. If BoC has a new album announcement in a month, I'll just see it as a pleasant surprise.
But it is very strange, this large empty gap of time of no news. The irony is that I don't think the album will be better because of their hiatus.

Dayvan Cowboy
Seeya_Later wrote:I don't think the album will be better because of their hiatus.

That's besides the point, an artist releases work when he/she/they are happy with it. Or more frequently when it's in that "get that out of here before I shred it with My bare hands!" state. :)

A work of art is never finished. It is merely abandoned. :)

Eagle Minded
Wonder how many styles they have gone through over the years and what was the closest they got to announcing the album, if they ever did. I hope they go for the style heard in that snippet of "Wouldn't you like to be free?" as I think more of the same would be a little disappointing after all this time.

Dayvan Cowboy
The909Virus wrote:Wonder how many styles they have gone through over the years and what was the closest they got to announcing the album, if they ever did. I hope they go for the style heard in that snippet of "Wouldn't you like to be free?" as I think more of the same would be a little disappointing after all this time.

Is that legit? Doesn't sound it to me. FreddE? MDG?

link in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzuQcxPEAlo

Dayvan Cowboy
ryetronics wrote:
The909Virus wrote:Wonder how many styles they have gone through over the years and what was the closest they got to announcing the album, if they ever did. I hope they go for the style heard in that snippet of "Wouldn't you like to be free?" as I think more of the same would be a little disappointing after all this time.

Is that legit? Doesn't sound it to me. FreddE? MDG?

link in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzuQcxPEAlo

'Of the album's five tracks, only a 56-second excerpt of Wouldn't You Like To Be Free[2] (posted on the EHX website in the late 1990s) has been heard by those outside of the band's friends and family.'

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Play_By_Numbers

Posts Quantity
Right, this is the one I thought was legit.

By the way, if the new album was music like this I'd be thrilled.

Also, let's all hope for news in May!

Sherbet Head
I know this seems to be a bit of a reoccuring thing, but I had another dream that I went to the discography page last night and the box was filled in with a picture. At the moment, I can't recall what it was just that I immediately came here afterward. It's getting a little ridiculous.

Happy Cycler
krs wrote:I know this seems to be a bit of a reoccuring thing, but I had another dream that I went to the discography page last night and the box was filled in with a picture. At the moment, I can't recall what it was just that I immediately came here afterward. It's getting a little ridiculous.

Haha, yeah it's becoming a little bit of a mind fuck. I mean, I can understand putting the Black Box up for a week and then coming out with the news, but good lord it's been over a month and still no news.

I really hope it's not like this:

Marcus: "Hey Mike, since we're about finished with the new album let's put up a black box"
Mike: "Sounds good"

2 weeks later:

Marcus: "Hey Mike, did you finish the last track yet?"
Mike: "Shit Noooo, I just can't get it right...I'll get on it soon though."

2 weeks later:

Marcus: "Hey Mike, how about that track? Did you finish it?"
Mike: "Yeah, it's just about done."

2 weeks later:

Mike: "Hey Marcus, I just finished the last track and the last touches on the album, so we can get it off to Warp."
Marcus: "Not so fast! There are a couple of songs I wanna scrap..."

Me: "God Damn it..."

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada