WEEN thread!

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
This thread will be all things WEEN!

What album got you into Ween?
For me, it was The Pod.

Eagle Minded
October 2019, I listened to The Mollusk for the first time. Right after a night out with friends, I went back home, laid down and turned on the album. I had heard about it just because of spongebob, i just liked ocean man and wanted to hear the rest of the record. it really blew me away, and while i was already into psychedelia (see animal collective, olivia tremor control, the unicorns, etc.) this felt like something different.

I kinda just left it on the Mollusk until around June 2020 when I broke up with someone who i still consider a friend now. I felt like shit afterwards, even though it was my choice, and I put on Quebec and, that album really hit hard right after a breakup. Anyone who has listened to the album will know why. It's probably my favorite ween album now, and it's such a beautiful and honest record. feels like getting back up on your feet after something that hard.

Then I listened to The Pod and that also completely knocked my socks off. I had never heard a record quite that weird before.

The Mollusk is no longer my favorite, but it still means a lot to me. I love ween, thanks for making this thread.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
Quebec is the best Ween album, fight me.

Or engage in nuanced debate with me about the musical quality of all of their work and I will defend my stance; either way really.

(PS I love basically everything they've done).

Happy Cycler
Where is a good place to start with Ween? I've always been put off them a little bit as I always thought they were a bit of a jokey band - but maybe I've been missing out?

I *hate* music that's wacky or a parody, but I'm willing to give Ween a try since plenty artists I do like have referenced them.

Happy Cycler
I am kind of with A Northern Soul here. I have respect for this band but I simply have no idea where to start with them. I know they are pretty humorous and I am fine with that, but I want to know where best to start to 'get the joke' so to speak.

Friendly Stranger
I love Ween. One of the best, if not THE best American rock band of the last thirty years or so. Though it may be easy to see them as a comedy act on first glance, there’s so much deep heart, emotion, love of music, and most of all friendship that can be hears through their best stuff. I love this quote from Marcus of BoC about Ween because it sums up my own feelings pretty well: “ When I first heard them, I couldn't figure out if they were for real. Years later, I figured it out. Ween are deadly serious.”

As for favorite album, it’s so hard to chose but it’s gotta be Pure Guava, though The Mollusk and The Pod hold very special places in my heart, and sometimes all I want to listen to it is 12 Golden Country Greats.

Eagle Minded
mechanismj wrote:I am kind of with A Northern Soul here. I have respect for this band but I simply have no idea where to start with them. I know they are pretty humorous and I am fine with that, but I want to know where best to start to 'get the joke' so to speak.

Chocolate and Cheese is a good starting point. If you like Baby Bitch, listen to Mollusk next. If you like Spinal Meningitis or HIV Song listen to Pure Guava or The Pod.

Eagle Minded
Ween are great. Chocolate and Cheese was the first album of theirs I heard in full, which properly got me into them, but I'd been aware of some of their stuff for a while prior to that.

I like most of their stuff, but I definitely gravitate more towards their contemporary/'normal' work such as White Pepper, Quebec, etc. The comedy/weird elements are still there but the actual songwriting is seriously fucking masterful.

Dayvan Cowboy
A_Northern_Soul wrote:Where is a good place to start with Ween? I've always been put off them a little bit as I always thought they were a bit of a jokey band - but maybe I've been missing out?

I *hate* music that's wacky or a parody, but I'm willing to give Ween a try since plenty artists I do like have referenced them.

Ween are far from just a comedy band.

They do have a comedic side, but that stems from them being pop deconstructionists- they take popular bands and music styles and subvert them to make something new and strange; as a result, their sound is far-reaching across a variety of genres.

They also have plenty of serious and even downright beautiful songs.

I recommend checking out Quebec tbh. It's not necessarily one of the fan favorites (though it is my favorite), but it's consistently very good; it has some of their best "serious" songs while still dipping into the light-hearted territory they're known for.

Return to This Random Sound