Nathan Fake - Blizzards

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
This new album Nathan Fake released at the start of this month is crazy good, very different from his last album, more uptempo. Lush synths and lovely rhythms!

https://inverted-audio.com/review/natha ... blizzards/

As you press through the album – rewinding back to experience moments like the head-banging “Stepping Stone”, the tectonic merging disco claps and frayed arpeggios of “Vectra” or the clever ascending octaves of “Firmament” – you reflect on the unique craftsmanship that Nathan Fake has brought over the years. In some ways, he is a hologram.

Vanguards of the genre have found elements of their sound assimilated – be it Aphex Twin’s lullaby melodies, Autechre’s intricate glitches, or the entire scene that has formed around replicating Boards Of Canada’s glory days. There is no facsimile possible here, with Fake so unique and elusive in his construction that mimicry would be as futile as attempting to reconstruct an exact snowflake by hand from a drop of water. Pearlescent and mercurial, ‘Blizzards‘ is the embodiment of electronic music.

Album opener.
phpBB [media]

This track is just incredible!
phpBB [media]

Enjoy! 8)
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Happy Cycler
Really enjoying this album.

Sherbet Head
A_Northern_Soul wrote:Really enjoying this album.

Me too! Listened to it a lot of times now and it's getting better every time! The track below is just so good, dreamy IDM goodness.

Bit of BoC and Plaid in there imo.

phpBB [media]
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Posts Quantity
North Brink is my favorite track on Blizzards. I love those melancholic/nostalgic chord progressions Nathan writes, and his rhythmic sensibilities are totally unique. I think that Nathan Fake captures the spirit of Boards of Canada's music better than any other artist, even though his music tends to be more dance-oriented in rhythm and song structure.

Boqurant
Nathan's a legend.
Saw him in Liverpool debuting his Drowning in a Sea of Love album and knew his live sets were a massive bar raiser.
His clever use of side-chaining, cassette hiss and unmistakable percussion (which he confesses is from the UK garage scene) and how he has set up the controller for live sets is unique.
I love how he programs stops using small time signature increments.

Have you ever watched his 2 masterclass videos? Woke me up to unquantized/over lapping time signatures.

Proper melancholy...
His Chord progressions are really stand out as well...
Friends, you owe it to yourself and your family to leave the congested city, and enjoy what nature intended you to enjoy.

Return to This Random Sound