Making Earthbound Style Music

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Since finally playing through Earthbound this past spring, I've been super obsessed with the game, and especially the soundtrack for it.

I also recently got ahold of a Polyend Tracker, and considering that trackers were fundamental to making music for videogames, I've been experimenting with using its sampling capabilities to recreate Earthbound based music, seeing as though it was perhaps the first videogame soundtrack to use samples, stereophonic effects and vibrato. They had to expand the size of the cartridge just to include the soundtrack for the game.. but anywho here is my first experiment with the polyend in an attempt to create an Earthboundy type tune

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mTUAQ2DqpWiEYcN08UJ3kZnHrP_ZkSHh/view?usp=sharing

edit: also this is probably not a finished version of the song, just the most fleshed out idea I have so far

Boqurant
Would love to give this a listen, but it says "Couldn't preview file, Owner prevented playback and download of this file".

Buzz Buzz's Prophecy has to be my favourite track that has BOC vibes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID_4UPladqQ

Eagle Minded
Ah, the curse of google drive- this fixed link should work hopefully!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mTUAQ2DqpWiEYcN08UJ3kZnHrP_ZkSHh/view?usp=sharing

I absolutely agree about the Buzz Buzz Prophecy theme, it's so fantastic. The whole soundtrack really has influenced my perspective on how you can use sampling as an instrument

Eagle Minded
would love to comment on your track, but the link still doesn't work. at least for me
it fascinates me how multi million dollar companies can have such broken shit. especially with youtube
yes, i would love to be free!

Eagle Minded
NorthSaturnian wrote:would love to comment on your track, but the link still doesn't work. at least for me
it fascinates me how multi million dollar companies can have such broken shit. especially with youtube

ah, quite frustrating. Yeah it's absurd. Hope this youtube vid I just uploaded will do the trick tho

phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
NTFMTS wrote:
NorthSaturnian wrote:would love to comment on your track, but the link still doesn't work. at least for me

ah, quite frustrating. Yeah it's absurd. Hope this youtube vid I just uploaded will do the trick tho

phpBB [media]

it does sound like earthbound, great job
yes, i would love to be free!

Eagle Minded
NorthSaturnian wrote:
NTFMTS wrote:

phpBB [media]

it does sound like earthbound, great job

Thanks for giving it a listen!!

Return to This Random Sound