The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy

The Same (4:19)
The Opposite (3:06)
You Will Never Work in Television Again (2:48)
Pana-Vision (4:08)
The Smoke (3:39)
Speech Bubbles (4:16)
Thin Thing (4:30)
Open the Floodgates (4:29)
Free in the Knowledge (4:12)
A Hairdryer (5:17)
Waving a White Flag (3:47)
We Don't Know What Tomorrow Brings (3:16)
Skrting on the Surface (5:31)

A new project bij Radiohead's Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood. There are some unreleased Radiohead songs on there, and some others. This for me is proper album of the year contention, it blew me away,

Favourite songs so far are The Same and Skrting on the Surface.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Dayvan Cowboy
I really enjoyed the exhausting amount of singles leading up to this, I'm hopefully snagging a copy of it soon. Only heard great things.

This year I haven't been the best at keeping up with releases, I fully got myself on the hype train for FJM's new record 'Chloe and the next Twentieth Century' but I still haven't heard it yet, nearly two months later.
I do love Goodbye Mr. Blue and Q4, in spite of anything past the singles not reaching my ears.

Adored The Smile's Glastonbury set last year. So I'm hella looking forward to finally listening to all the debut's glory. 8)

Any first impressions portiss? Something to think about before diving in?

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I really enjoyed the exhausting amount of singles leading up to this, I'm hopefully snagging a copy of it soon. Only heard great things.

This year I haven't been the best at keeping up with releases, I fully got myself on the hype train for FJM's new record 'Chloe and the next Twentieth Century' but I still haven't heard it yet, nearly two months later.
I do love Goodbye Mr. Blue and Q4, in spite of anything past the singles not reaching my ears.

Adored The Smile's Glastonbury set last year. So I'm hella looking forward to finally listening to all the debut's glory. 8)

Any first impressions portiss? Something to think about before diving in?

Don't expect totally new things. It basically just sounds like Radiohead, but that's never a bad thing. Thom Yorke's vocals are good as always, Jonny has some really nice sections as well. There's not much to say, just use a good sound system/headphones!

I didn't know Tom Skinner before this, but man he has some amazing rhytm sections.

Dayvan Cowboy
portiss wrote:Don't expect totally new things. It basically just sounds like Radiohead, but that's never a bad thing. Thom Yorke's vocals are good as always, Jonny has some really nice sections as well. There's not much to say, just use a good sound system/headphones!

I didn't know Tom Skinner before this, but man he has some amazing rhytm sections.

Cheers for that.
And yep, radiohead's side projects are always immaculately produced. 'Atoms for peace - Amok' was a great example.
Though i'm doubting that LP10 will ever happen, just keep these releases rolling in and I'll be a happy bunny. :lol:

I'll leave my commiserations here for poor Phil. That lad is always left behind. :(

Eagle Minded
he'll yes thanks for bringing the release to my attention

Friendly Stranger
it's so prettyyy

I can't wait to dig in further, I've listened to Live at Worthy Farm to death

Boqurant
Loving this album. Hard to pick standouts tbh since I'm really liking almost all of it, but Free in the Knowledge is so pretty and just direct y'know. With all the unusual time signatures and electronic weirdness Thom & Jonny love (and I love too), this stood out for being the opposite. Simple, straightforward and beautiful.

The album also starts and ends very well with The Same and Skrting on the Surface. And yeah, they always have fantastic production, so lush! This could end up being my AOTY.

Seriously how do they keep up this level of quality after so many years? It's kinda comforting knowing that so many years after discovering Radiohead as a teenager, Thom and Jonny are still putting out brilliant stuff that resonates with me.

Eagle Minded
Wow! This is great! I stopped keeping track of Thom and Radiohead a long time ago and every time they reappear it is amazing.
Thanks for posting!
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
This project kinda worries me about Radiohead's future.

Eagle Minded
Samplehunter wrote:This project kinda worries me about Radiohead's future.

I thought the same

Boqurant
Samplehunter wrote:This project kinda worries me about Radiohead's future.

I get that. But at the same time, if we keep getting fantastic side projects and solo work (ANIMA was also a great album), I'm not going to complain.

Dayvan Cowboy
Until now they have always come back to Radiohead., so I guess they will do just that.
There are a lot of tracks on this album that found their first form in Radiohead though, so that is interesting.

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
portiss wrote:Until now they have always come back to Radiohead., so I guess they will do just that.
There are a lot of tracks on this album that found their first form in Radiohead though, so that is interesting.

Yeah but it's been 6 years now...

Return to This Random Sound