The Avalanches Appreciation Thread

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
Because they are very very cool.

Wildflower is the best album of the 2010's for me.
"boards of canada synth tutorial" has appeared 9 times in your search history.

Eagle Minded
Very cool, indeed. Wildflower is certainly in my top 10 (maybe even top 5) albums of the decade. Certainly a worthy follow-up to Since I Left You.

I'd also recommend their mixes/DJ sets to basically everyone. They cover all corners of the music world and they do it exceptionally well. These two are especially worth mentioning:

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Boqurant
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... avalanches

BBC coverage of their Glastonbury set from yesterday

Boqurant
Someone has just made an excellent compilation of samples from Wildflower https://youtu.be/sIb60UMPlVs

Dayvan Cowboy
I loved Since I Left You and loved We Will Always Love You. Wildflower however, I could not get into.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Boqurant
'Since I Left You', you say... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKEW7wt1nzI

AY-YAY-AY EV'RY DAAAAYYY!
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Eagle Minded
portiss wrote:I loved Since I Left You and loved We Will Always Love You. Wildflower however, I could not get into.

Seems everything they've done that isn't Since I Left You has been fairly divisive among the fanbase.

I, for one, love the psychedelic road trip vibe that's present throughout Wildflower, but while WWALY has its moments, it's not an album I could truly get into.

Not sure if it was intentional, but it truly feels like the guest vocalists overshadow everything else. It's like I'm listening to Artist Name - Track Title (feat. The Avalanches) rather than The Avalanches - Track Title (feat. Artist Name). Even though they probably had just as many guest spots on Wildflower, the vocals on that record always felt like they were part of that world, complementing the music and not taking over.

New Seed
since i left you has been one of my favourite albums ever since i found it only a couple years ago.
bought it on vinyl only a few weeks ago, it's one of only a couple albums i've found that is truly uplifting no matter what, its beautiful. the rest of their discography i don't really get the same feeling from (from what i've heard) artists change obviously but i just haven't been able to get into their newer stuff (yet).

Boqurant
portiss wrote:I loved Since I Left You and loved We Will Always Love You. Wildflower however, I could not get into.

Same for me. SILY is a classic, and WWALY really surprised me and was my AOTY for 2020. It definitely had a different vibe, but I loved it. Was fantastic seeing them live last year too :D

Dayvan Cowboy
With all it's layers, this always seemed to me a musical precursor to Since I Left You (despite not being by The Avalanches!)
Bent - Programmed To Love

Return to This Random Sound