The Beatles remasters

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
What do you think?

I LOVE it, much better.
Borné dans sa nature, infini dans ses vœux, l'homme est un dieu tombé qui se souvient des cieux.

Boqurant
Yeah they sound great! Abbey road is exceptional.

Sherbet Head
good to see that the Apple Corps is still flogging the Apple Corpse

Site Admin
I thought about posting about this the other day :)

It's amazing! I was absolutely amazed by the psychedelic rock in Strawberry Fields. I guess it's the mastering that makes it much easier to hear. Just put it on headphones and try to listen to the audio only. You'll be amazed!

I thought about buying the whole box but it's 279.- euro's! :shock:
Life is a Frequency

Dayvan Cowboy
I've heard only good things..once I have some cash I will be buying
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Sherbet Head
A+ remaster. Picked up Sgt. Poopers at a gas station of all places. All of Martin's hard work is heard clearly. I'm hearing new things, which is amazing.

The earlier CDs are foggy as hell, and were long overdue for a fix---like 20 years or some shit. I'll pick up MMT also. I especially like that they did not add a bunch of crap bonus tracks.

Eagle Minded
I have a tendency to stray away from remasters since some people think they need to compress the shit out of music to make it listenable. And with that I haven't found the Beetles that captivating. I do like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds though. Someone want to change my mind?

Sherbet Head
the Beatles are weird.

Also I think its neat that they are releasing mono versions. Mono white album. Yay.

Site Admin
Noumenon wrote:I have a tendency to stray away from remasters since some people think they need to compress the shit out of music to make it listenable. And with that I haven't found the Beetles that captivating. I do like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds though. Someone want to change my mind?
I couldn't find information about it anywhere but I'm 99% sure that this isn't just mastering. I guess they used the original 7 track? tapes and mastered each track of it individual and put them back together. At least, it really sounds like this because it's so fresh and you can hear each instrument very clear.
Like Dave says, you can hear new things.. so yeah! Check it out at least!
Life is a Frequency

Sherbet Head
Sgt. Booklet says "the remastered album has been created from the original stereo analogue master tapes"

I don't know if this means the pre-"bounced" tape, if it still exists, but that would account for the clarity. It sounds like they had complete control.

I read also but cannot source something that they used all the old boards as well as computers, so it was a genuine analogue redux of some sort. Loving care at work, thank goodness.

And other interesting things, the bass guitar was input directly (on Pepper). I was under the impression always that it had been miked, which I thought I had read previously from Martin's book on the recording of the album(?) Some of the best tone ever!

You can hear the guitars! I know this sounds like every other review of these, but I had learned to play guitar to these albums (on CD), and here suddenly is nuance. Geoff Emerick!

Boqurant
These remasters have not been compressed at all from what I can tell. Which means if they have they have done an excellent job. Mostly everything just sounds a lot clearer and has a decent amount of bass which was something that needed a fix.

Dayvan Cowboy
Pretty sure I read somewhere that if the remasters had been done even a couple of years ago, then they would have been a lot more compressed, but folks have wised up to the folly of that. They're louder than the 20+ year old CDs certainly, but they've preserved all the original dynamics.

Vinyl pressings later in the year apparently. :D

Sherbet Head
IanRedpoint wrote:Pretty sure I read somewhere that if the remasters had been done even a couple of years ago, then they would have been a lot more compressed, but folks have wised up to the folly of that. They're louder than the 20+ year old CDs certainly, but they've preserved all the original dynamics.

Vinyl pressings later in the year apparently. :D

there are some vinyl pressings out already.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm listening the the gorgeous Revolver 2022 remix and it's sparkling. Much more kaleidoscopic.
Any opinionz on it? :P

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I'm listening the the gorgeous Revolver 2022 remix and it's sparkling. Much more kaleidoscopic.
Any opinionz on it? :P

I just wanted the crungy mono version on wax alone -- didn't pick this up yet

Return to This Random Sound