Give me your best Autechre tracks

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqKZAxvNEfc

I'm fond of 'Montreal' though I havent dug super deep into their work tbh but want to!
**If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think.**

Dayvan Cowboy
Still love Piezo

Autechre is still my top 3 artist. Here's one song I really love for most of their popular releases. I left Elseq and NTS Sessions out because they're not my cup of tea. As a matter of fact, I kind of lost interest after Untilted. There are still great songs post 2005 but I definitely prefer their early work.

Incunabula [1993]
phpBB [media]

Basscadet Mixes [1994]
phpBB [media]

Amber [1994]
phpBB [media]

Tri Repetae [1995]
phpBB [media]

Garbage [1995]
phpBB [media]

Anvil Vapre [1995]
phpBB [media]

Envane [1997]
phpBB [media]

Cichli Suite [1997]
phpBB [media]

Chiastic Slide [1997]
phpBB [media]

LP5 [1998]
phpBB [media]

Peel Session [1999]
phpBB [media]

EP7 [1999]
phpBB [media]

Peel Session 2 [2001]
phpBB [media]

Confield [2001]
phpBB [media]

Gantz Graf [2002]
phpBB [media]

Draft 7.30 [2003]
phpBB [media]

Untilted [2005]
phpBB [media]

---

Quaristice [2008]
phpBB [media]

Oversteps [2010]
phpBB [media]

Move Of Ten [2010]
phpBB [media]

Exai [2013]
phpBB [media]

L-event [2013]
phpBB [media]

SIGN [2020]
phpBB [media]

PLUS [2020]
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Kinda with Fred -- After Quaristice I struggle a bit. Peanut brain, me. Still great (listen to everything up to their newest live sets while driving) but kind of transcended into something over my head -- around Exai -- maybe half of that, its awesome but lost my purchase on their thing a bit. I still buy their newest stuff and blast it though.

New Seed
phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
Treale and Rae.

Rae is in the top of my favorite songs of all time.

But honestly they have so many amazing tracks, their quality and quantity of output is insane, without even mentioning the experimentalism with each album.

With these guys you are most often one or two steps behind.

Ah and I almost forgot Key Nell 4 from their gescom alias. That track is so epic!

phpBB [media]
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Eagle Minded
For when I want full-on fucking chaos...

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

For when I want ultra lush melodies...

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

For when I'm trapped in a void...

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
These too :

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
Yeah Zeiss Contarex is just so good!!

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

best track 8====D

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

It's not that I don't like the next albums, but Incunabula and Amber have always been my favorites.

Eagle Minded
eutow but the flex vienna '96 version. absolute jam
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

One Very Important Coder
Cipater is amazing and will always hold a special place in my heart. First track from the first Ae album I ever bought!

phpBB [media]

I love this one too, maybe the most evil sounding one by them:

phpBB [media]

And one of the best remixes of anything by anyone ever!

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
joyrex can eat my bankrupt...

Dayvan Cowboy
I only own two Autechre albums, so -

phpBB [media]

Friendly Stranger
The entirety of EP7. Listening to this has made me regret hitherto not exploring the electronic genre. It is stunning.

Sherbet Head
When you want to start on Autechre but overwhelmed by the choice
For real though, ideal place to begin?

Sherbet Head
steeldancer-x wrote:When you want to start on Autechre but overwhelmed by the choice

I went chronological and I think it's generally accepted that's the best route to go. Their first album Incunabula translates to "An artifact of an early period", start with that it's a little bit dated but is still a really great listen imo with some timeless tracks like Eggshell. 1995 Tri Repetae is their most solid/cohesive early album though in my opinion. Their first few albums are usually quite easy to get into, but from Confield and on they became more and more experimental. Hell Confield took me a long time to click, but once it did it was gold! From their latest albums I think SIGN was superb and surprisingly "accessible".

Autechre are so unique, fucking brilliant at times.

Eagle Minded
Gazebo4 wrote:
steeldancer-x wrote:When you want to start on Autechre but overwhelmed by the choice

I went chronological and I think it's generally accepted that's the best route to go. Their first album Incunabula translates to "An artifact of an early period", start with that it's a little bit dated but is still a really great listen imo with some timeless tracks like Eggshell. 1995 Tri Repetae is their most solid/cohesive early album though in my opinion. Their first few albums are usually quite easy to get into, but from Confield and on they became more and more experimental. Hell Confield took me a long time to click, but once it did it was gold! From their latest albums I think SIGN was superb and surprisingly "accessible".

I second this approach. You can clearly hear the progression in their sound with each album, and you can step off the train at any time if it gets too much.

Alternatively, if you aren't ready for that level of commitment, look for a well-curated playlist/compilation of their works. If you find yourself gravitating to a particular style or a certain track of theirs, check out the album it belongs to. For instance, there may be no point wading through 7 or 8 albums if you're only gonna like their newer material.

Sherbet Head
Sherbet Head wrote:
Gazebo4 wrote:

I second this approach. You can clearly hear the progression in their sound with each album, and you can step off the train at any time if it gets too much.

Alternatively, if you aren't ready for that level of commitment, look for a well-curated playlist/compilation of their works. If you find yourself gravitating to a particular style or a certain track of theirs, check out the album it belongs to. For instance, there may be no point wading through 7 or 8 albums if you're only gonna like their newer material.

Agree, great addition!

Next

Return to This Random Sound