--The post what you are working on *right now* thread--

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler

Eagle Minded
I did some much needed editing on this track, i'm happy about it now

https://soundcloud.com/mylamine/mylamine-voyage

Telepath
TTK, just because you are one of the few guys here that actually writes critically in this thread, I'll do the same for you and hope to inspire others to follow your example as that is exactly what this thread needs.

I know these are just sketches/ideas, but I will listen to them as full songs just because I want to (DEAL WITH IT)

302 (NUMBER TITLES!)
Cool to hear something else besides 10 layers of synths and beats and just keep it an actual minimal guitar jam. You could practice more on your flow as now it feels a bit silly. If you meant to be a bit silly thats way cool, but I´d make it more apperant. It feels a bit like you're having a bit of trouble with it, intentional or not, which can be fixed by simply convincing yourself "I am the greatest guitar player that ever lived". Be confident with those strings, playing a note you didn't mean to play, or losing a bit of rythm can be really awesome, if you do it with enough confidence. Yes I am a full note off, but I MEANT TO DO THAT ITS WHAT THIS SONG IS ABOUT.
I would have liked it if I heard some singing/humming/stumbling about in the background of this, just for another layer of depth and realism(?). The beat goes on in the end and I was waiting for the final WRAWN chord all the way through, every bar of waiting got me hoping more and more it would come...but it didn't. I would have really really liked it if it was there in the very last second. Makes the last few bars of empy beats actually mean something.

Sam Cooke's Movie Score

Quite a nice little track, reminds me a bit of something on SAW. Nice and relaxing, empty swimming pool-type deal. I think the track would have worked better without the percussion. The percussion just starts and then it doesnt do anything...well there is that one break of course...but it feels a bit unneccesary. I maybe would have kept it as a melodic piece. This is very noticable in the drum break where it almost feels like a breath of fresh air. Then a moment where you think something is going to happen, but then the same thing as before happens. Has potential but you might want to rethink the drums.

Very atmospheric guitar. Love the room you gave it. There is a build-up which is r8 nice, but keeps me longing for more of that buildup. Yet it drips on after that. The atmosphere is tight enough to keep it going, but its just screaming for some soloistic guitar. You know pooooooowowowowoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaauuwuww peedeedeepowpowwwwooooaaaauuuwnnnn. Just something small in the middle could be all it takes to push this to the next level.

Blimey, this is chimey. Lovely samples, chilled out 7th chords, jazzy melody, could use just a tad more grace-notes. Also some neat sound design in this. That synthy slurpy sound smack dab in the middle, thats what I'm talking about. Those are sounds that make me come back to check it out again. Not sure if its sampled or synthesized. It might be a good idea to think about what you did there and how you can make sounds like that vital elements in your work instead of single artifacts.

This is, to me, the most complete sounding song of the bunch. This is where all the previous songs smash together, though missing some of the elements that make the previous ones magical. The atmosphere here is tight and feels a bit like overlit blurry beaches. Yet its over so soon. It feels like this song has allot more to say but is pushed off the stage before it got to the real point. It just barely introduced itself, which is something allot of your work suffers from. It shows tremendous potential, but never gets to be fully what it should be. If its subtle, it stays that way. If its not its not. Its an intro, and right where it ends it should actually start, paving the way so it can move. Its like peering through a little hole in a wall and you can see the beautifull beach on the other side, but it never goes there.

Overal, these are some neat little pieces that show allot of potential in the way of atmosphere. Think about how can you turn these into full speeches, instead of a bunch of slogans. How does one turn a riff, a texture, a single melody into a +5 minute song?
Contrasts in dynamics, counterpoints, solos, hooks, accents, keychanges. Just a handfull of tools in the musicians arsenal. Use them!

I'm not sure what it is, but I love how this totally sounds like TTK. Not sure if you notice yourself, but you have a signature somewhere somehow, even in these sketches. Its somewhere between the choice of sound and the progression of the chords, it screams you. I could probably tell your music appart in a large bath of other sound blindfolded. Ÿour sound encapsulates this forum really well. You have grown allot in sound, and that only makes that signature more apparant.

Happy Cycler
Thanks a lot Hendrik, and as I said they're just little things to be expanded upon later, but I see what you mean by a lot of them. for 242 I was actually noodling around over the top of it with my guitar the other day, with some mad gain and all that, y'know?

The main reason Sam Cooke's Movie Score is so minimal is because as the title suggested, it was at one point meant for a movie.

but the guy dropped it and I liked the piece I made. I don't hear relaxing though, I intended dark. That's happened before though, I intend something to be dark or downer and someone listening has said "Oh that's a really nice chill little piece". I just sit there like "whu"

Sherbet Head

Nice groove on this. Sounds like it could've been on Beck's Mellow Gold.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12063244/Sam%20Cooke%27s%20Movie%20Score%20-%203.mp3

Love this. Really dig the lush yet sparse sound, & that rhythm is infectious.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12063244/242.mp3

Nice incidental sounding piece. Could work well as part of a larger piece.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12063244/184.mp3

Really like this. It is quite BoCesque of the bunch, if that means anything.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12063244/2416.mp3

Not really doing anything for me either way, this one. Sounds kinda generic.

Good stuff all round though. I like the first two best.

Sherbet Head
@lyst: That's quite nice. Quite restrained on the rhythmical front compared to some of your other stuff. Really like the woozy pad.

Sherbet Head
Aerial Boundaries wrote:
GH wrote:Cherry Coloured Funk is probably my favourite song.

Ok, I had heard of them obviously because of BOC, but hadn't heard them.

THANK YOU! I've had that track on repeat, which is a good sign usually. Her voice is amazing...

Glad you found them. 8) The world just got better all round.

Eagle Minded

Nova Scotia Robot
Hey twoism! Here is something new from me. It's one of the more dark songs I've made.
phpBB [media]
Last edited by Aesthetics on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added the media tag

Telepath
PROS: Nice and droney, Tyler. Some dramatic tones right here. The 80's slasher vibe is very believable, I must say.
CONS: A bit repetitive. Its a short song played two and a half times. Could benefit some more dynamics. Look at those soundcloud waveforms. its straight as a dildo. :D

Happy Cycler
Cupz wrote:PROS: Nice and droney, Tyler. Some dramatic tones right here. The 80's slasher vibe is very believable, I must say.
CONS: A bit repetitive. Its a short song played two and a half times. Could benefit some more dynamics. Look at those soundcloud waveforms. its straight as a dildo. :D

agree'd.

Nova Scotia Robot
The Telepathic Kid wrote:
Cupz wrote:PROS: Nice and droney, Tyler. Some dramatic tones right here. The 80's slasher vibe is very believable, I must say.

agree'd.

Thanks! You're right about the CONS. Perhaps I can think of something to add to the second run through. This is why it's best to make music with more than just yourself. The other person can fill in the gaps in our ideas. If unable to find another person IRL, a place like twoism.org is a musicians best friend.

Sherbet Head
Been a while since I've posted anything in this thread...

https://soundcloud.com/wolvesinwisconsin/nov19/s-Lkklu

This is something I started on the other week. Haven't really given it the time it needs to actually become something. I've been going through this phase for the past few months where I start a bunch of new projects, but don't finish them. Eventually, I'll get around to it...

Nova Scotia Robot
bearhead wrote:Been a while since I've posted anything in this thread...

https://soundcloud.com/wolvesinwisconsin/nov19/s-Lkklu

This is something I started on the other week. Haven't really given it the time it needs to actually become something. I've been going through this phase for the past few months where I start a bunch of new projects, but don't finish them. Eventually, I'll get around to it...

I love the little voices that are chirping in the background. Nice out-of-tune synth lines. I like it, nice work. 8)

I'm in the same boat as you. I start lots of ideas for songs and get stumped, so I start another. It can be annoying at times. But we just have to hang in there and keep whittling away at it. Eventually, we'll have some nice material to be proud of.

Sherbet Head
@747: That's a pretty dark moody piece. I'd develop that more. Maybe side chain it with something.

@bearhead: Sounds like a really good intro for something>

Sherbet Head
Here's an 8 second clip of my current project: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=75 ... permPage=1

Nova Scotia Robot
GH wrote:@747: That's a pretty dark moody piece. I'd develop that more. Maybe side chain it with something.

Thanks! Ya, I'll be working on it some more today. Maybe a super deep 4/4 kick with some sidechain would spruce things up a little. Gonna add another melody too. Just gotta get the creative juices flowing.

Nova Scotia Robot
GH wrote:Here's an 8 second clip of my current project: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=75 ... permPage=1

That's awesome! (and adorable). I'm really liking the synth-pop route you've been taking lately. It's fun to listen to.

Eagle Minded
747Music wrote:
GH wrote:Here's an 8 second clip of my current project: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=75 ... permPage=1

That's awesome! (and adorable). I'm really liking the synth-pop route you've been taking lately. It's fun to listen to.

Was going to post a similar comment. Super cute. Nice work as well. :)

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound