OMERGHERD GUYS DAFT PUNK!!! (Random Access Memories)

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
^ yep. I've said it before & will say it again. Great pop music is just wonderful - I reckon even I could make "difficult", ugly music, but it takes real talent to write a great pop song.

Get Lucky is just that.

Boqurant
I've heard this Get Lucky tune a few times now and TBH, I find it hugely irritating. That being said, for me they've always used one of the weakest tracks on the album for the lead single so I'm not gonna write it off on the basis of one track.

The thing that puts me off more than anything is that it doesn't really sound like Daft Punk to me. Pharrell and Nile are too strong stylistically and that's all I can hear, Daft Punk just twiddled the knobs and didn't add any of their character to it.
When we come home, we want it quiet and calm,
We want you to sing us a song.

Posts Quantity
The Telepathic Kid wrote:dude, they were always pop.

Around the World, Technologic and nearly all of Discovery was pop.

You can't listen to Digital Love and tell me that's not pop.

It's just really well produced pop, stuff with actual emotion and feeling, but it's made with samples and computers.

True, fair enough point.
Die hard BOC fan since 1998!

Posts Quantity
Cab Dreaming wrote:I've heard this Get Lucky tune a few times now and TBH, I find it hugely irritating. That being said, for me they've always used one of the weakest tracks on the album for the lead single so I'm not gonna write it off on the basis of one track.

The thing that puts me off more than anything is that it doesn't really sound like Daft Punk to me. Pharrell and Nile are too strong stylistically and that's all I can hear, Daft Punk just twiddled the knobs and didn't add any of their character to it.

Yeah. I think this is probably what I should have said. :P
Die hard BOC fan since 1998!

Sherbet Head
I played this for a couple of my coworkers last night and they loved it. They're generally into just top 40 stuff or whatever. And now I've given the impression that i'm way funkier than I actually am.

Posts Quantity
Daft Punk are as un-fresh as it gets, with a few major exceptions.

Also, I have to say that pop without "actual emotion and feeling" is quite a respite sometimes.

Boqurant
^ :(

i don't mean this pretentiously. i genuinely feel sorrow in my heart for anyone who doesn't realize that everything DP has ever done is magical

Happy Cycler
it aint tho

Human After All was, well, pretty shit, after all.

Eagle Minded
Listened to Get Lucky. It's actually pretty good, despite a lack of evolution on Daft Punk's sound, but it was solid, but DAMN do I hate the vocals! Here's to hoping the this is not indicative of the whole album, because if it's all pretty ok DP tracks with shit vocals I'ma kill myself. I reeeeally want to love this album, but I'm apprehensive.
member of pablo col.
https://www.pacol.bandcamp.com

Happy Cycler

Boqurant
The Telepathic Kid wrote:it aint tho

Human After All was, well, pretty shit, after all.

I used to hate Human After All but then I later realized they were just trying something very radical. The music is repetitive to the point of being Punk [Rock]. It's very cool if you can get an understanding for what they were trying to do, which is make music that feels like it really was made by automated machines.

Posts Quantity
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_one
there's gonna be an interview in a few minutes (21:00 GMT, 5:00 EST) with daft punk
so drop on in eh?

Site Admin
Hmm... am I too late?
Life is a Frequency

Site Admin
Life is a Frequency

Posts Quantity
i'm sorry but their voices sound very french/feminine
this kinda explains the whole leather outfit thing eh?

Posts Quantity
IT'S HEREEEEEEEE
thoughts?

Happy Cycler
thing is, I'm not being blown away.

But I don't think I expected to be blown away. Like all Daft Punk records I think it's meant to be subtle and get under your skin.

I love the real instrumentation.

Posts Quantity
i dunno.... it seems like it's lacking something. one guy called it "sterile" and i'd agree with that. not bad but not what i wanted in a daft punk album :/

Dayvan Cowboy
Will be listening later..heard it is out, but I am trapped at school! Stoked to hear it
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Sherbet Head
Some of the real drumming makes me think of Level 42 or China Crisis. Overall a nice, lite warm up for the real deal in less than a month!! :evil:
Last edited by Torn n Frayed on Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound