OMERGHERD GUYS DAFT PUNK!!! (Random Access Memories)

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
The Friendly Stranger wrote:
GH wrote:Ah, it turns out that Random Access Memories is a good album after all:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/180 ... -memories/

Completely baffled by the reviews for this album. This one made me laugh:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... eview.html

I just cannot hear what everyone is raving about. It's dull, unoriginal and lazy. It's the sound of two incredibly talented and innovative producers settling for less. And what the fuck is the painfully pretentious endorsement by Giorgio Moroder all about?

It's just a quick gimmick.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Rodheh wrote:
The Friendly Stranger wrote:
GH wrote:Ah, it turns out that Random Access Memories is a good album after all:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/180 ... -memories/

Completely baffled by the reviews for this album. This one made me laugh:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... eview.html

I just cannot hear what everyone is raving about. It's dull, unoriginal and lazy. It's the sound of two incredibly talented and innovative producers settling for less. And what the fuck is the painfully pretentious endorsement by Giorgio Moroder all about?

It's just a quick gimmick.

Glad someone else thinks so!

Eagle Minded
Hmmm. It isn't bad, no it's pretty good. It's just not that good. Really, just because its new Daft punk doesn't mean its the best Daft Punk. It's certainly no DIscovery; every time I listen to Discovery, it just makes me want to dance.
member of pablo col.
https://www.pacol.bandcamp.com

Dayvan Cowboy
I just got a copy of Discovery on vinyl for my birthday..haven't opened it yet :P I've never actually heard the full album so that should be a nice treat. I still think RAM is innovative, but of course it will always be compared to their earlier work.."Get Lucky" is kind of been overkilled to me already. Of course, what song should my recording class choose to cover this semester? This shall be interesting....
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Dayvan Cowboy
Big Daft Punk fan here.. drove two days to see them @ Red Rocks however many years ago.

And.. kind of let down by this new album. I was never caught up in the hype, stayed away from anything having to do with it until I got it this morning. Listened to it.. first reaction was, "Why the fuck is Giorgio talking over this song?" That's seriously something I've never heard on an album before. Thoroughly out of place. I thought I had maybe put in some lecture CD by accident. And it was just downhill from there :(

The only two songs I think I'll be able to stand for any length of time are Motherboard and Contact.

Disappointed.

Happy Cycler
I was really disheartened about this record at first because I found it boring and vanilla like most people have said, but it's since grown on me. I'm hooked on a couple tracks. I like it.
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Eagle Minded
I tried to stay out of the whole Daft Punk debate but I have to be completely honest: I'm baffled at how much importance everyone is giving them. They have always been a nice band, not a terrible band nor the best band in the world. It's amazing how they have become the most influential and important band in the history of music all of the sudden. I blame Pitchfork and most of the music media world in portraying them as something much more than they actually are. I mean come on, you only have to see Daft Punk's history on Pitchfork, most of their albums have a below-average rating, and now we have to believe the release of RAM is the most important event to have happened to music?

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings but this is completely overrated, and I'm not talking about the album but rather the circus that has been created around it. It's complete and utter hype, and as such it will eventually die as every hype by Pitchfork does.

Happy Cycler
^ I know what you mean; I posted something on P1 of this thread, asking whether DP were really popular - their cultural importance seems to have sprung from nowhere - last I knew they were a *fairly* popular, pretty good, but not amazing dance act. From what I've read, I'm sure I'll like RAM, but the circus around it has been huge.

Could it be - and don't bite my head off US Twoismers - the fact that the US has suddenly *got* dance music (or "EDM" :( ) in a big way? And DP are seen as some kind of figurehead for that scene?

Everything I've seen about the rise of "EDM" (sorry - can't do it without the quotation marks...) makes me think "that looks like Gatecrasher c.1999".

Happy Cycler
Radiobuzz wrote:I tried to stay out of the whole Daft Punk debate but I have to be completely honest: I'm baffled at how much importance everyone is giving them. They have always been a nice band, not a terrible band nor the best band in the world. It's amazing how they have become the most influential and important band in the history of music all of the sudden. I blame Pitchfork and most of the music media world in portraying them as something much more than they actually are. I mean come on, you only have to see Daft Punk's history on Pitchfork, most of their albums have a below-average rating, and now we have to believe the release of RAM is the most important event to have happened to music?

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings but this is completely overrated, and I'm not talking about the album but rather the circus that has been created around it. It's complete and utter hype, and as such it will eventually die as every hype by Pitchfork does.

Yeah. As for the hype, I must say, I agree with you. I don't get it either. The new record is groovy; I don't see how it's breaking new ground in any important way.
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Sherbet Head
A_Northern_Soul wrote:^Could it be - and don't bite my head off US Twoismers - the fact that the US has suddenly *got* dance music (or "EDM" :( ) in a big way? And DP are seen as some kind of figurehead for that scene?

I definitely think this is a factor. Electronic music has finally become pretty popular here in a way it never has before. There was a brief window in the 90s when there were a lot of music mag articles about how EDM was the next big thing, and there were some groups that had some pretty big success (the prodigy, the chemical brothers and fatboy slim were radio staples for awhile) but it wasn't as hugely successful as it is now, I hear teenagers blasting dubstep all the time now.

Also it's blowing my mind but I've seen a lot of really young candy kids lately and I was like "when did this happen again?". The 90s seems to be the decade that's being fetishized right now, so it's probably part of that. I just didn't expect to see so many cuddle puddles at the bus stop in this day and age.

I've always liked daft punk, but I have been a little surprised by the huge anticipation for this album, it did seem to come from left field. For a moment there I feel like I was anticipating more than what we got, and I don't even know where I got that idea.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Eagle Minded
turquoise70 wrote:
Radiobuzz wrote:I tried to stay out of the whole Daft Punk debate but I have to be completely honest: I'm baffled at how much importance everyone is giving them. They have always been a nice band, not a terrible band nor the best band in the world. It's amazing how they have become the most influential and important band in the history of music all of the sudden. I blame Pitchfork and most of the music media world in portraying them as something much more than they actually are. I mean come on, you only have to see Daft Punk's history on Pitchfork, most of their albums have a below-average rating, and now we have to believe the release of RAM is the most important event to have happened to music?

Yeah. As for the hype, I must say, I agree with you. I don't get it either. The new record is groovy; I don't see how it's breaking new ground in any important way.

This, very much so.

I'm also starting to sense that the the airplay and general cropping-up of Get Lucky I've noted in recent days is approaching a bit of a saturation point. That the track may indeed be the big thing of this month (as coverage would suggest), it doesn't necessarily mean it should be pushed so hard in what feels like a relatively small space of time.

Eagle Minded
Well now, sort of scratch that - still been a little overused, but here's a cover version that hasn't been:

https://soundcloud.com/stevenmoove/get-lucky-george-barnett

I say, better than the original overall!

Posts Quantity
I liked this album initially but i've had no urge to listen to it since then.
Except for the Panda Bear track, oh man.

Happy Cycler
El Camino wrote:I liked this album initially but i've had no urge to listen to it since then.

Doin' It Right?

Oh man! Totally stuck in my head. It's undeniably catchy.

Here's a great video for it, too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4ooVNr82U

Site Admin
mechanismj wrote:
El Camino wrote:I liked this album initially but i've had no urge to listen to it since then.

Doin' It Right?

Oh man! Totally stuck in my head. It's undeniably catchy.

Here's a great video for it, too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4ooVNr82U
A lot of songs get stuck in my head!

Pretty controversial record. Wish I could time travel to the 80s and take this record with me :)
Life is a Frequency

Site Admin
Whoever thought these guys would ever win a grammy, let alone 4!!?
Best:
Album of the year
Record of the year
Pop duo performance
Dance / Electronic album

They totally deserve it!
Life is a Frequency

Aesthetics wrote:Whoever thought these guys would ever win a grammy, let alone 4!!?
Best:
Album of the year
Record of the year
Pop duo performance
Dance / Electronic album

They totally deserve it!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :D :D :D :D :D
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Happy Cycler
RAM just keeps getting better for me, absolutely love it.

In many ways it strikes me as being really quite similar to Tomorrow's Harvest in a lot of ways. Vastly different musically, but think thinking behind both albums is quite similar.

Boqurant
I just HATE "Get Lucky". Horrible American mainstream pop mindset. Yeah, let's raise our cups up, do a lot of shots and hook up. Oh and, of course, the whole purpose this "good fun" we're having is to GET LUCKY. If there's no chance of sex than what is the point of even spending time with each other? Yep, gotta stay up all night cos life's just a big "game", we're all "players" and the only way to win is if you "score".

And what the fuck does the legend of the phoenix have to do with anything!?! It's like they already had the hook, couldn't think of a verse and threw that in to make it sound profound and philosophical. I don't know, I just hate it and skip it EVERY time (I love the album).

Dayvan Cowboy
Not a fan.
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound