Setting the record straight on Eyesix

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:
Freqfez wrote:There just doesn't seem to be a rational reason behind this. If this person is willing to go to the effort of criminally selling other people's work as their own, why would they do it at such a small scale to such a small audience? Each album sale is like 5 bucks, and I don't think they sold more than 10-20 copies of each album at best. This is about $100 per album, which sounds like a lot, but is only around a day's worth of minimum wage work here in MA. Why would anyone expose themselves to criminal liability, alienate online communities, and delegitimize their own music for so little?

This sums up my previously censured post perfectly. Jason clearly didn't get the whole "one big hit" idea most criminals abide by, which makes me think he's either a really dumb criminal or completely out of touch with reality. He would have gotten more money in one day by stealing a box of scratch tickets.

Out of touch with reality seems most likely. The thing I couldn't figure out is why someone would promote their new albums on a forum populated by loads of the artists they'd just ripped off.

Dayvan Cowboy
mr3 wrote:Hey if you guys are getting refunds from Bandcamp then maybe that's an avenue for Techboy too, coulda sworn he said he was paying twice...kudos to him if so, and kudos to Bandcamp for eating cost like that. That kinda mentality is more great healing against underhandedness. You guys rock, I don't care what everyone else says about you. Behind your back. All the time. BTW if we decide to take up a pool at any point to help recover more lost funds for those who took damage then count me in.

i think it's water under the bridge to me to be honest, to an extent i see it as punishing bandcamp to go asking for money from them as it is highly unlikely they'll recover it from jason, you know? although to be fair i'm also in the pretty privileged position of not actually needing the twentyish quid back, i suspect it'd have been a different story two or three year ago.

i also don't think lawyers need any more broke guys sending them cash to hunt down and sue some thieving junkie, it's also highly unlikely that even if someone did somehow successfully sue Jason for lost profits that he'd actually have any cash to give them. all you'd be doing is forcing the guy to declare bankruptcy or whatever, it just seems a bit pointless and not really an appropriate response.

New Seed
Hi, just found out about this fiasco after noticing the purchases I made on bandcamp from eyesix were missing.
It's kind of difficult to identify all of the albums I bought through their page, but it looks like

Any Colour You Like - Tomorrow's Yesterday [of which at least some of it has been confirmed to have been lifted and not his original work]

Dreamland Circus - Wonderphase

Waking Life - Escape [some tracks featuring ACYL]

It also looks as if I bought, as an individual track

PBS'73 - Turquoise Daylight

I had gone on a music discovery binge last year trying to find as many artists comparable to Boards of Canada as possible, since it's a sound a lot of people look for. I mixed a fair few tracks into a sampler with the hopes that it could help others with artist discovery. I've since added more to the list, so the plan would be to update the mix anyway (which is what eventually led me to discover everything that had kicked off with Eyesix).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8UmFnSZ2Vw

This is the prior one as it stands. At least PBS'73 and Dreamland Circus have been attributed with their respective tracks. What I'm particularly worried about is the track "Wish You Were Here" from the Tomorrow's Yesterday bootleg. If it's another track he's stolen, I'd love to be able to correctly attribute it to its creator. If it's actually one of his own, well that would suck even more because I really like that track, and how do you include it in a mix when the artist has been discredited and won't ever be selling under the name again (unless he's especially brazen).

I've followed Cities of Earth and PBS'73 on their legit bandcamps now and will be buying through those pages when I'm able to. As for Dreamland Circus and Waking Life, no sign of where I would be able to properly purchase their works, which I'd like to be able to do.

Not sure what else to say, other than I had mentioned eyesix in an anonymous Quora answer and now Quora has had a shuffle of how they do things, I am no longer able to edit the answer and discredit Eyesix - bummer!
https://www.quora.com/Fan-of-Boards-of- ... s/27957995

Posts Quantity
Yeah, I think that warranted some clarification so I posted a comment on that Quora thread with a link back to this thread. I think it's only fair to those artists that any mention of Eyesix/ACYL/Dowd always be accompanied by a correction.

(I hadn't heard of those other two artists so I'll check those out, thanks.)
[ .... ... .. . .. … …. ]
http://clocolan.space

New Seed
Thanks clocolan. Just got a notification of your comment on it. For some reason I was neither able to comment on, or edit, my answer. However I realise I can delete it, which I honestly think would be for the best now.
If you need to keep a hold of a list of any of the artists I mentioned in the post, they're all in the mix on youtube.

Also clocked your bandcamp in your signature, which makes you the 3rd or 4th to have done so since I chanced upon this mess. Not to mention that if it weren't for Faex Optim allowing ACYL to collab with him on Start With the River (great album btw Faex Optim, if you're still scanning the thread), I wouldn't have found PBS'73 or Dreamland Circus through Eyesix in the first place.

Silver linings, I guess.

Does anybody know who Waking Life is, given they also released an album through Eyesix, including 3 collab tracks with ACYL? The more artists can be brought into the loop about what's happened, the better.
[Edit: Okay, apparently Waking Life may have been one of his other monikers]

I deleted all of the tracks in my collection that have been ID'd as Cities of Earth tracks but that still leaves me with 14 tracks which upon more closely listening to, are so stylistically disparate and disjointed in their being included in one album, that it's almost guaranteed that he lifted tracks from more than just Cities of Earth for the Tomorrow's Yesterday bootleg. I have no idea how to identify the actual creators of those tracks, but I can't bring myself to delete them and risk never being able to find them and identify them by comparison. I think it's good to keep hold of, in case any of us eventually stumble onto a lesser known producer, recognize that their work was among that stolen, and bring them in the loop about it too.

Telepath
I vote for uploading those 14 tracks so twoism can take a gander.

Posts Quantity
if this guy doesn't stop, he's going to get a bad reputation.

New Seed
Cupz wrote:I vote for uploading those 14 tracks so twoism can take a gander.

Okay.

https://mega.nz/#F!J1YXkbpB!CMhrzywqAzJfUQtaqjxjKg

Uploaded all of the tracks on Tomorrow's Yesterday that haven't yet been attributed to other artists, plus the Waking Life - Escape album, which is possibly plagiarized material as well, just released under a different name.

Unfortunately that's all I have. Well, fortunately. Wouldn't want to have given him more money than I did.

Boqurant
Dandegyrecorder wrote:if this guy doesn't stop, he's going to get a bad reputation.

Ha! That's hysterical... :lol:
Cerebro See Through Red Eye

www.soundcloud.com/miiiimuzik

Posts Quantity
Techboy wrote:
mr3 wrote: BTW if we decide to take up a pool at any point to help recover more lost funds for those who took damage then count me in.

i also don't think lawyers need any more broke guys sending them cash to hunt down and sue some thieving junkie, it's also highly unlikely that even if someone did somehow successfully sue Jason for lost profits that he'd actually have any cash to give them. all you'd be doing is forcing the guy to declare bankruptcy or whatever, it just seems a bit pointless and not really an appropriate response.

Glad things aren't as tight nowadays, good news there. Eh "recover" was probably a bad word to use, I meant if we ever decided to start a pool to help reimburse artists directly for sales lost then I'd want to pitch in. Maybe sounds over-complicated...it's just that I was thinking only a day or so before about artists, and how some have been able to use their earnings to buy time to make more art without daily life getting as much in the way. So much art that's not realized b/c of bs like the daily life grind.

New Seed
Hi all

Just joined the forum to let you know that I created a topic on the MusicBrainz forum to figure out how we should go about cases like this one in the database: https://community.metabrainz.org/t/how- ... ism/244429

Feel free to chime in or just have a read. I might be missing some crucial info, just discovered the issue today.

Cheers

New Seed
blundering tusk wrote:I've followed Cities of Earth and PBS'73 on their legit bandcamps now and will be buying through those pages when I'm able to. As for Dreamland Circus and Waking Life, no sign of where I would be able to properly purchase their works, which I'd like to be able to do.

Not sure what else to say, other than I had mentioned eyesix in an anonymous Quora answer and now Quora has had a shuffle of how they do things, I am no longer able to edit the answer and discredit Eyesix - bummer!
https://www.quora.com/Fan-of-Boards-of- ... s/27957995

Hi, half of Dreamland Circus here. Used to go under a different account here on twoism but idk how to get back on. Anyway, glad you like the album and I'll try to get an independent bandcamp set up soon for Wonderphase :)
I'll be honest though, I had no clue that it was this severe with Jason. The guy was odd about releasing Wonderphase and I ended up fighting over getting any revenue from the album before and after its release. He kept trying to guilt me by saying stuff about how "Sparkwood didn't pay me anything," which I found out is probably a lie anyway. I did end up getting some of that money though haha.
So, while I shouldn't really be surprised, this is definitely a bit of a shock for me and a massive disappointment that such a cool niche music community could be marred by such horrible bullshit.
Cheers to twoism for bringing this to light

Happy Cycler
Freqfez wrote:You know what the most baffling part of this is? I really can't suss out the motive of "Jason" behind this. I really hope that this is done out of some irrational delusional hallocinogen-induced behavior, becase there just doesn't seem to be a rational reason behind this.

I can, and it's the very same reason we shouldn't all chip in to sue the bastard. I don't really know him at all, and I'm just as appalled as anyone else, but he doesn't need a lawsuit. It's just not necessary.

I can entertain the idea that he made up the whole drug thing but it seems to have been legitimate based on the number of people backing his "rehabilitation", and since I doubt he created so many fake Facebook accounts just to pull this off, I don't think he needs to be sued.

As far as this community goes, he needs to be eventually forgotten (although I support Mexi's decision to allow him the right to respond instead of banning his account) and he needs some goddamned help.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Eagle Minded
Jason, I am prepared to take legal action, unless you want to settle my request right here. I do not want my name associated with eyesix publicly. I am requesting that you take down drifting from Vimeo, YouTube and anywhere else that you have it. I also want you to take down the mastered version I did of sunsets on skyscrapers and remove my name from that. I am also prepared to take legal action against twoism if drifting is not removed from one on twoism volume 6.

Thank You!

Eagle Minded
Jason Dowd lives in Ireland. I bought him a ticket for Autechre show dec 2014 all the way from Texas. Thankfully, I have his address. Taking legal action.

Telepath
ShaneAnthony wrote:I am also prepared to take legal action against twoism if drifting is not removed from one on twoism volume 6.

I doubt that's a realistic way of going about this tbh. Why not contact Aesthetics about it instead? And why not just request the removal of the eyesix part of the credit? Do you want to see twoism.org destroyed by chance?

Licence agreements for oot7 I guess?

Eagle Minded
Contacted. Removing eyesix from the oot6 credit and adding bocuma is the right thing to do, since Jason stole the music from bocuma without telling me. Huge lesson learned here. Be careful out there.

Good to know Ae's email from March was answered Shane. Threats of legal action are your right of course, but please maybe try talking to us first next time eh? We are reasonable people ;-)

Glad the track is to get it's proper credit.

Slow down...

New Seed
I've recently discovered this forum + Eyesix, been listening to "his" music for the pass few days and thought they were incredible. Such a shame to discover these tracks were stolen...Now for some reason I can't enjoy these tracks anymore..

If it's possible can anyone identify the original creator/name for this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKlclNWaOSc

Thank you.

Edit: I've just discovered the thread "EYESIX/ACYL ORIGINAL SOURCE PROJECT". Probably should've made this post there...Sorry!

No worries at all. There's only one person with anything to apologise for ;-)

Slow down...

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound