Setting the record straight on Eyesix

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Telepath
I agree, at least robbing a bank you could sell as a post-post-modern artistic statement or some shit (especially since most banks don't carry any real money anymore), or something from that Bandits movie. This is just sad.

Eagle Minded
clocolan wrote:Whether this can be attributed to an addiction or depression or social anxiety or money trouble or simply poor character, he has committed artistic suicide.

If he had robbed a bank he'd still have his art and his integrity, and possibly even the respect of the community.

Now he has nothing. We all make our own beds.

Truth.
:INDIFFERENT SPACES:
all albums [IS1-IS13] available here:
http://indifferentspaces.bandcamp.com

Boqurant
So I have been searching for more plagiarism by Jason and i found this https://soundcloud.com/kitefly/kiterace ... -of-canada

This exactly the same track that is on ACYL Boards Of Canada - Remixes & Covers (2016)

Boqurant
03 Happy Cycling (ACYL Remix) was lifted from here

https://soundcloud.com/japjap/boards-of ... py-cycling

I'm going to move onto his later works and see what i can find.

New Seed
el Cerebro wrote:Although as a "large picture" kinda guy I'm relieved the Earth still seems habitable for a few decades or so, I'm absolutely mortified by this whole affair. As someone who once considered Jason a colleague and would banter with him on Facebook and what not, and who truly enjoyed his "work" ( I have much the same road ahead in compensating the proper artists--this is literally insane), I'm not only deeply saddened for everyone involved--including Jason--but voraciously angry and utterly astonished at the level of his deception. I too have often examined his "sales" on eyesix records and concluded that things seemed to be selling well--the revelation of how deviously he's been manipulating you wonderful people, you truly dedicated and selfless artists, has added fuel to my incendiary mental state. Absolutely criminal. I'm so very sorry for any artist who has had to deal with the sheer madness over at eyesix "records."

I've worked closely with my dear friends at Sparkwood Records (I release music there as well) for two years now, and I can happily report that any quotation regarding them stemming from Jason is slanderous--that I've not only received fiscal compensation from them for my work, but have always understood quite clearly that as an artist I'm entitled to a share in the profits stemming from it, and have always been issued details surrounding all pertinent sales figures. So when I read things discussing what Jason has described vis-a-vis a "slow Norwegian label" I get extremely angry, because it is a lie (unsurprisingly) and paints my friends in belligerently untrue colors. It makes me enormously happy that the lads are taking this issue quite seriously and will take action in sorting out this bleeding mess.

And of course I'm sad that this blatant plagiarism has touched this fantastic community. I've been quite shaken by the things I've learned in this thread. Thankfully, it seems that the gears of (unfortunately limited) justice are turning--actual owners of the music are identifying their work, and it seems that some measure of monetary compensation will be forthcoming, not to mention the unsurprising desire in each of us to support the victims of this malicious scam. I plan to do my part in that, especially concerning Cities of Earth, who appears to be a rather sizable source of the "ACYL" material. Absolutely appalling.

Well said sir!

New Seed
Dear Twoism peeps,

I have registered here specifically to add to this thread, and I hope that is acceptable by the forum.

Like el Cerebro (or [MIIIIM] as I know him) I am an artist on Sparkwood Records and have worked very closely with my Sparkwood band of brothers over the years. It has been nothing short of a joy and a privilege all the way.

I am shocked, appalled and deeply saddened by the acts of Jason eyesix which I have only recently learned - it is inexcusable and unacceptable and it makes me feel sick to think of the artists' music he has had the audacity to steal. Especially Cities Of Earth who appears to have been hit the hardest by this - my heart goes out to you sir - I have just bought both of your albums on Bandcamp to show some support to your cause.

I just wanted to back el Cerebro up in his statement about Sparkwood. Any negative remarks regarding this wonderful little label from eyesix are absolute non-truths. The "slow Norwegian label" comment is offensive. These guys are hard-working and on the ball. In my opinion you couldn't wish for more enthusiastic, supportive and courteous fellows at the helm of a label. I would hate for their name to be tarred with the same brush as eyesix, they are without question an innocent party in all of this who had nothing but good intentions when releasing what they thought was his original material.

Please note that Sparkwood are also taking this matter seriously and are as appalled by eyesix's acts as much as the rest of us:
http://www.sparkwoodrecords.com/news/20 ... nouncement

They have left the three eyesix releases on their Bandcamp page temporarily - but as streaming only - to hopefully help to identify more artists whose music he stole: https://sparkwoodrecords.bandcamp.com/music

Let's hope with time all of the true artists can be identified and rightly credited.

Best wishes one and all.

Everyday Dust.

Boqurant
As a little side project I'm going to do my best at finding the original artists that Jason lifted.

I think I will open a new forum topic so as not to spam this one any further.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, this is going to take some work,however, to be able to give credit to the proper Artists is in my book a worthy cause.

New Seed
You can add me to the list of folks who have been duped by Jason. Carpe Sonum Records digitally released two eyesix albums, Ouija and The Wilderness Projector, and had planned to release both of them on CD and I'm certainly glad I didn't. I had also planned to release Tomorrow's Yesterday, an "Any Colour You Like" album which we now know was composed in large part by Cities of Earth. I've reached out to Cities of Earth and extended an offer to release his music as I feel strongly that 1) he be compensated for his music, and 2) the music be heard in the form that the artist intended.

Taking a cue from Sparkwood, I have changed both eyesix albums to "streaming-only" in order to help identify whose music they contain.

By the way, Jason reached out to me personally to ask for money on several occasions and I gave it to him. In his most recent communication, he claimed he was clean and attending university, and I honestly felt sorry for him. Like many of you, I was suspicious but wanted to believe he was being honest. Now that the extent of Jason's deception is clear, I find his actions abominable.

TheFadeBeta wrote:As a little side project I'm going to do my best at finding the original artists that Jason lifted.

I think I will open a new forum topic so as not to spam this one any further.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, this is going to take some work,however, to be able to give credit to the proper Artists is in my book a worthy cause.

I was going to suggest that we at least have a post or a web page where there's just a list with links of the real songs & artists that were ripped off by Eyesix/ACYL name. There's so many "Eyesix" songs that I enjoy that I would love to support the actual artists behind the songs.

Maybe Sparkwood could set up a page? Or just a Twoism thread I guess is fine since that's where most people are heading to get this news anyhow.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Boqurant
everydaydust wrote:I have registered here specifically to add to this thread, and I hope that is acceptable by the forum.

Like el Cerebro (or [MIIIIM] as I know him) I am an artist on Sparkwood Records and have worked very closely with my Sparkwood band of brothers over the years. It has been nothing short of a joy and a privilege all the way.

I am shocked, appalled and deeply saddened by the acts of Jason eyesix which I have only recently learned - it is inexcusable and unacceptable and it makes me feel sick to think of the artists' music he has had the audacity to steal. Especially Cities Of Earth who appears to have been hit the hardest by this - my heart goes out to you sir - I have just bought both of your albums on Bandcamp to show some support to your cause.

I just wanted to back el Cerebro up in his statement about Sparkwood. Any negative remarks regarding this wonderful little label from eyesix are absolute non-truths. The "slow Norwegian label" comment is offensive. These guys are hard-working and on the ball. In my opinion you couldn't wish for more enthusiastic, supportive and courteous fellows at the helm of a label. I would hate for their name to be tarred with the same brush as eyesix, they are without question an innocent party in all of this who had nothing but good intentions when releasing what they thought was his original material.

Thanks so much for chiming in here, my esteemed colleague--I really appreciate you taking the time to support not only our wonderful Sparkwood family in this thread, but also the incredible (and growing, sadly) list of artists who were the targets of this deceit. This has been a highly disturbing affair.

carpesonum wrote:Taking a cue from Sparkwood, I have changed both eyesix albums to "streaming-only" in order to help identify whose music they contain.

This is fantastic news, kudos for addressing this issue quickly and in solidarity with the other casualties involved.

2020k wrote:Maybe Sparkwood could set up a page? Or just a Twoism thread I guess is fine since that's where most people are heading to get this news anyhow.

I can certainly bring this up with the guys, but my inclination is that since, as you mentioned, twoism clearly is the "news hub" surrounding this matter, perhaps it might be the best place for such discoveries to be published. However, I defer to the judgement of our fine moderators on this...
Cerebro See Through Red Eye

www.soundcloud.com/miiiimuzik

Fine by us 100%. To be honest, anything we can do to help, just yell.

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
https://resetorg.bandcamp.com/track/eyesix-oculus-drift

Hey, could you guys help me identify this track?

Dayvan Cowboy
bearhead wrote:https://resetorg.bandcamp.com/track/eyesix-oculus-drift

Hey, could you guys help me identify this track?

I don't know the track but I'm pretty certain it's the same pad sound that he lifted from the Redpoint track 'How To Remember' (that became his track 'Soylent Green'). As he had my Reason file for 'How To Remember', albeit protected, it's possible he extracted the pad sound from it. I certainly never gave him permission to use any of our sounds or material.

If anything, I would say this makes it more likely that his track 'Oculus Drift' is actually, at least in part, by him, as it uses sounds that I know he had access to.

His track 'Habitat67' also uses another sound lifted from 'How To Remember'. In this instance it's the closest thing we had to a Redpoint signature sound. It's all over our stuff. In some ways I'm more upset about him using that particular sound than stealing a track of mine wholesale. Feels like he's stolen a bit of my identity. You can hear the sound come in at 1:16...

https://sparkwoodrecords.bandcamp.com/track/habitat67

2020k wrote:I was going to suggest that we at least have a post or a web page where there's just a list with links of the real songs & artists that were ripped off by Eyesix/ACYL name. There's so many "Eyesix" songs that I enjoy that I would love to support the actual artists behind the songs.

Great idea. I created an online spreadsheet which consolidates all that has been discovered so far.

Posts Quantity
I honestly cannot believe what I've been reading on here. I was friends with Jason on Facebook but It looks like he's vanished now. He'd asked me if we could do a colab at some point (thank god I didn't). I can remember listening to one of his tracks last year and it was a complete ripoff of 'Session' by Linkin Park, I commented at the time and he soon took it down.

To think he was getting paid for other people's hard work and talent is just absolutely disgusting!

Boqurant
Wow... I am speechless, stunned and so dishearten and disappointed to what I have just read. I bumped into Jason either on here or on soundcloud and was so happy that not only did a fellow Irishman love BoC but he was making sweet beats and sounds in the same vain. I loved his first few albums and EPs and we got talking about doing remixes for each other and swapping reason files etc, I think there was a dropbox folder setup where we shared stems and ideas - looking back I cant honestly remember what I shared or sent him (or how much) but I do remember him sending me a track and saying "what do you think dude?" I initialy laughed at him as I thought it was a joke, told him it would be great as a remix for me, after he questioned what did I mean I had to gently point out he took most of a song I had already done from my "Among the Free" album, re-ordered it a little then sent it back to me. There was a bit of back n forth on it as he thought it was all his and all original at the time I thought nothing of it, honest mistake and my fault for sharing the stems of an album I had just released at the time. His reasoning was he wanted to see how I laid stuff out and my work flow etc, which is fair enough I don't mind sharing and we can all learn from each other.

But for me personally as much as I had a load of time for the chap, I was watching him crash in real time on facebook, I had to unfollow him. There was only so many times I can watch someone create an album to raise cash for a mac that's broke because his cat pissed on it, or coffee was spilled on it. Even when this was going on tho I was stupidly thinking to myself "you no what, fair fecks to him, the kid might be down n out and having money problems n shit but damn, he has the time and the talent and he has set up a label, he is an awesome designer and his work ethic is great...." I mean through personal experience and I'd say a few of us on here are the same, but whether its through drink / drugs or a break up or being unemployed we turn to our art and we usual churn out some pretty good shit! So in my head he was in a dark place, but it will be ok he will get through it and the new label will be his baby, his drive and his focus.

This was what I thought was happening. I came on here last year I think and I seen the initial claim that he had stolen work, my heart sunk "ahhh dude wtf!" not believing it I obviously checked out the links and was just in shock, the thread went on tho and I was delighted to see he at least came on to appologise or try and explain what had happened. So that was it, done n dusted - lesson learnt - don't pass of .wav's as your own if you cant feckn remember exporting them in the first place! Just before this came to light we had a chat online and I had asked him did he mind me sending some new stuff his as obviously he had a good audience on his label and I felt my own label wasn't behind me as much as they could be. Thankfully I had a shit load of other projects come my way before I even sat down to work on that stuff as his enthusiasm for me to send all stems, reason files and anything else his way (just in case you know.... for a remix album) was frightfully high!

Anyways I just wanted to drop my two cents in on this, I don't want it to sound like a witch hunt (believe me I am not defending what he done!) I just don't like bitching about people - I think I am just gutted and disappointed, he had (and I'm sure he still has) great talent... somewhere in him, just the feckn eejit went down a stupid path and I would love to be at the other end and shake him! (trust me I have been back on facebook to find him and had no luck)

End of the day tho he has let down three sets of people, his fans who purchased the music, the talented musicians he ripped off and most importantly... himself :(

ps. sorry for the wall of text guys! :D

Eagle Minded
This is a wonderful community and someday this will fade and simply be remembered as the "eyesix incident." A landmark lesson in what not to do and what we vehemently do not condone in this community. There always seems to be one bad example in every neighborhood, unfortunately this is ours. The positive thing is how quickly we have all come together to clean it up, set things straight and support each other. Peace and love.
:INDIFFERENT SPACES:
all albums [IS1-IS13] available here:
http://indifferentspaces.bandcamp.com

Dayvan Cowboy
flim wrote:Wow... I am speechless, stunned and so dishearten and disappointed to what I have just read. I bumped into Jason either on here or on soundcloud and was so happy that not only did a fellow Irishman love BoC but he was making sweet beats and sounds in the same vain. I loved his first few albums and EPs and we got talking about doing remixes for each other and swapping reason files etc, I think there was a dropbox folder setup where we shared stems and ideas - looking back I cant honestly remember what I shared or sent him (or how much) but I do remember him sending me a track and saying "what do you think dude?" I initialy laughed at him as I thought it was a joke, told him it would be great as a remix for me, after he questioned what did I mean I had to gently point out he took most of a song I had already done from my "Among the Free" album, re-ordered it a little then sent it back to me. There was a bit of back n forth on it as he thought it was all his and all original at the time I thought nothing of it, honest mistake and my fault for sharing the stems of an album I had just released at the time. His reasoning was he wanted to see how I laid stuff out and my work flow etc, which is fair enough I don't mind sharing and we can all learn from each other.

That rings so true for me also. Reason files in a dropbox folder. Exactly the same modus operandi, and all under the guise of learning workflow and techniques. Like yourself, I had no problem sharing that stuff with someone who, at the time, I considered to be honest and just curious.

I do wonder if he simply struggles to separate fantasy from reality? I can't think of another explanation for sending a track back to you that he's consciously stolen. Even if someone can't remember having made something how on earth do they come to the conclusion that it must be their own work?

Posts Quantity
IanRedpoint wrote:I do wonder if he simply struggles to separate fantasy from reality? I can't think of another explanation for sending a track back to you that he's consciously stolen. Even if someone can't remember having made something how on earth do they come to the conclusion that it must be their own work?

It's not lost on me (and others, I'm sure) that part of the reason why he was able to hawk this stuff as his own is because, stylistically, most of this music occupies a comparatively narrow scope. I expect that much the same could be said of ambient/drone music, chillout/lounge, techno etc. This particular thief just happened to pick this genre. Taking others' stuff and switching out song structure, samples, and drum kits is a fairly easy way to churn out some decent-sounding material quickly and with little effort. This is not a criticism of the style, mind you--obviously it speaks to us--just an observation that this music, in particular, often has very close melodic/harmonic cousins.

Part of the reason that I cut loose at the last minute and searched for a different label was because I began to notice that many of the releases (especially the later ones before all this blew up) had a very similar sound--even the album covers strayed little from that established BOC/Tycho style...sunlight/lens flares, children, nature... My fear, at the time, was that my music would just disappear into his ever-growing (and ever-changing) Mountain Of New Music and lose its identity. It all felt uncontrolled, rushed, and maybe too easy. Now we know why.

And maybe there's wisdom in labels that slow-release their music...in much the same vein as BOC.

It's really too bad this happened here; as a Tweet I recently read went: "the music scene where all the music is about loving each other".
[ .... ... .. . .. … …. ]
http://clocolan.space

Dayvan Cowboy
everydaydust wrote:Dear Twoism peeps,

I have registered here specifically to add to this thread, and I hope that is acceptable by the forum.

Please note that Sparkwood are also taking this matter seriously and are as appalled by eyesix's acts as much as the rest of us:
http://www.sparkwoodrecords.com/news/20 ... nouncement

They have left the three eyesix releases on their Bandcamp page temporarily - but as streaming only - to hopefully help to identify more artists whose music he stole: https://sparkwoodrecords.bandcamp.com/music

Let's hope with time all of the true artists can be identified and rightly credited.

Best wishes one and all.

Everyday Dust.

wow...the PROPER thing to do is remove any and all werk by Eyesix an alias, and apologize for the mistake, and link to the original artists.
continuing to stream those tunes is wrong.

POOR form.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound