Rare (uplifting) new wave Boards of Canada-like tunes

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Rare (uplifting) new wave Boards of Canada-like tunes (I think):

Men Without Hats - I Like (1982)

phpBB [media]

INXS - The One Thing (1982)

phpBB [media]

Level 42 - Something About You (1985)

phpBB [media]

Hope Mike and Marcus have heads out of "Tomorrow's Harvest" hell by this time...

Please don't hesitate to post another ones if you like! :)

Nova Scotia Robot
Hey! It's my favourite Men Without Hats song!

Knowing that BoC was inspired by a number of bands in and tied to New Wave music of the 80s, you could likely just search for lesser known new wave tunes and find a ton of stuff that sound somewhat similar synthwise.

It doesn't really sound like BoC other than the fact that they use similar gear and production techniques and were willing to experiment with sound. BoC had mentioned more or less that what they wanted to take what older bands had started and continue the ideas in creative ways. There was some limitations in the technology and genres like New Wave took a seat for other genres to rise. BoC, with the old and new technology took genres like New Wave and others and expanded on them in incredibly creative ways. I think they really nailed what they went after. For instance, taking New Wave-like synth sounds and using the gorgeous Kevin Shields inspired techniques along with other fun things they've creatively placed together massages and caresses my ears to no end. Or taking music that was typically very short as it's only used in old television adverts and expanding on it to make full length songs that work really well. They're taking expandable ideas from over the years and expanding on them remarkably well.

I think I'm beginning to repeat myself terribly. Time to end this post.

And ya, I'm very much craving some uplifting, feel-good BoC. I hope the next release consists of just that.

Posts Quantity
747Music wrote:Hey! It's my favourite Men Without Hats song!

Knowing that BoC was inspired by a number of bands in and tied to New Wave music of the 80s, you could likely just search for lesser known new wave tunes and find a ton of stuff that sound somewhat similar synthwise.

It doesn't really sound like BoC other than the fact that they use similar gear and production techniques and were willing to experiment with sound. BoC had mentioned more or less that what they wanted to take what older bands had started and continue the ideas in creative ways. There was some limitations in the technology and genres like New Wave took a seat for other genres to rise. BoC, with the old and new technology took genres like New Wave and others and expanded on them in incredibly creative ways. I think they really nailed what they went after. For instance, taking New Wave-like synth sounds and using the gorgeous Kevin Shields inspired techniques along with other fun things they've creatively placed together massages and caresses my ears to no end. Or taking music that was typically very short as it's only used in old television adverts and expanding on it to make full length songs that work really well. They're taking expandable ideas from over the years and expanding on them remarkably well.

I think I'm beginning to repeat myself terribly. Time to end this post.

And ya, I'm very much craving some uplifting, feel-good BoC. I hope the next release consists of just that.
Thank you for the comprehensive comment... and glad just there's the stuff you like! :)

I agree... I just wanted to choose in my opinion the "best representation" of BOC-like sounding from new wave era... these 3 are just like that and indeed - I'd really like to hear more of it, if fans post it... but I also think not all new wave music is airy uplifting playful stuff with layers of harmonic melodies and more than simple beats like BOC tunes mainly from pre-MHTRTC era, though BOC music as you said is much more than this...

So keep up the hope for Phoenix arising from ashes of tomorrow's harvest... :]

Posts Quantity
Btw check out also the BOC's "Nlogax" beats in comparison with Level 42's "Something About You"...

Happy Cycler
♄ope keeper wrote:Btw check out also the BOC's "Nlogax" beats in comparison with Level 42's "Something About You"...

I think that beat sounds more like this.
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
mechanismj wrote:I think that beat sounds more like this.
phpBB [media]

Holy crap, was this sampled directly? I had never made this connection before.

Posts Quantity
Thank you for the comments!

I also think it looks like a sample for "Nlogax", though on snare sound there's some reverb/echo like in Level 42 tune... but yes, this beat is more exactly like BOC...

Happy Cycler
Wildfire wrote:
mechanismj wrote:I think that beat sounds more like this.
phpBB [media]

Holy crap, was this sampled directly? I had never made this connection before.

Word. Take a leisurely stroll through the BoC Pages sometime if you have not already. It will blow your mind.

Posts Quantity

Happy Cycler
Ooh! Good call on those album covers. Never crossed my mind.

Uplifting ones are challenging! I always get more of a Boards vibe from the darker, moodier stuff.

How about this...
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
Crystalspike wrote:Image
Excellent find, thank you! :]

mechanismj wrote:Ooh! Good call on those album covers. Never crossed my mind.

Uplifting ones are challenging! I always get more of a Boards vibe from the darker, moodier stuff.

How about this...
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Thank you :], these ones are definitely there with darker (or "psychadelic") BOC-like new wave tunes... reminds me probably post-MHTRTC vibe, Geogaddi etc., but also maybe Twoism a bit or 2002 website loops... I like mainly the Talking Heads one from this reason...

Posts Quantity
phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
Thank you bleak. for the interesting addition, really industrial, also reminds me "Iced Cooly" somehow...

Posts Quantity
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
(produced by Seefeel, the band BOC supported live in 1997 and one of the inspirations for MHTRTC)

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
phpBB [media]

Next

Return to This Random Sound