Plaid - Polymer (New album coming Feb/Mar 2019)

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
phpBB [media]

It gets better and better :D
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Posts Quantity
I agree Dancers was an awesome tune! I think it might be my least fav out of the singles though sadly. I still give it an 8/10 though hahahah

video is awesome btw
That Squidward crossover guy and Plaid fanatic. ALSO FUCK IM SORRY HAVENT BEEN INACTIVE ON HERE I'VE BEEN USING WATMM MORE :(
Rateyourmusic account: https://rateyourmusic.com/~PrezSquid
WATMM account: https://forum.watmm.com/profile/23101-p ... squidward/

Sherbet Head
Warp Records wrote:‘Dancers’ is taken from Plaid's new album ‘Polymer’. The visual, made using motion capture and in a games engine, is inspired by the ‘strength, endurance, and troubling persistence’ of plastics, as video director Rick Farin explains:

“The concept behind “Dancers” stems from the themes behind ‘Polymer,’ inspired by the ‘strength, endurance, and troubling persistence’ of plastics. In the video, we follow a post-human character, navigating an imagined recycling processing plant. Only 9% of our plastics are actually recycled, and I wanted to build out a world that expressed this (to borrow from Timothy Morton) hyperobject nature of plastic -- claustrophobic, corporeal, and messy. We watch as our character dances among the plastic rubbish surrounding them, almost celebrating it, dually resilient and welcoming to its power. As the gravity begins to oscillate, the world becomes more severe and transformative, our character dancing defiantly. Finally, the character’s face is revealed, as pieces of coral, polymer waste, and microplastics are embedded within their face. This is referencing recent studies that show that most humans have some traceable amount of plastic within our bodies, only further demonstrating the impact plastic has on our lives on a biological scale. The means by which the video was produced -- motion capture and a game engine -- relate interestingly to the themes of polymers, as the video becomes a blurring of the natural and the synthetic. To me, the video serves as a metaphor for the anthropocene; in which humanity and the plastic it generates become integrated into one organism, in a world where nature and polymers become one in the same.”

Eagle Minded
Gazebo4 wrote:
Warp Records wrote:‘Dancers’ is taken from Plaid's new album ‘Polymer’. The visual, made using motion capture and in a games engine, is inspired by the ‘strength, endurance, and troubling persistence’ of plastics, as video director Rick Farin explains:

“The concept behind “Dancers” stems from the themes behind ‘Polymer,’ inspired by the ‘strength, endurance, and troubling persistence’ of plastics. In the video, we follow a post-human character, navigating an imagined recycling processing plant. Only 9% of our plastics are actually recycled, and I wanted to build out a world that expressed this (to borrow from Timothy Morton) hyperobject nature of plastic -- claustrophobic, corporeal, and messy. We watch as our character dances among the plastic rubbish surrounding them, almost celebrating it, dually resilient and welcoming to its power. As the gravity begins to oscillate, the world becomes more severe and transformative, our character dancing defiantly. Finally, the character’s face is revealed, as pieces of coral, polymer waste, and microplastics are embedded within their face. This is referencing recent studies that show that most humans have some traceable amount of plastic within our bodies, only further demonstrating the impact plastic has on our lives on a biological scale. The means by which the video was produced -- motion capture and a game engine -- relate interestingly to the themes of polymers, as the video becomes a blurring of the natural and the synthetic. To me, the video serves as a metaphor for the anthropocene; in which humanity and the plastic it generates become integrated into one organism, in a world where nature and polymers become one in the same.”

This is essentially their “Tomorrow’s Harvest”.... :)

Posts Quantity
As someone who enjoys all of Plaid's past records, I'm fucking amazed with how awesome this record is. I started it on Spotify a couple hours ago (it came out 9PM PST my time! the benefits of living in California), and I legit WANT TO BUY A CD OF THIS. Maybe the vinyl one day if I had a record player.

This is superior to Reachy Prints and The Digging Remedy for me. Those two are great, but felt a bit lacking with sound for me?? I feel with this record Plaid outdo themselves and introduce a lot more variety to their sound and it all clicks with me. Very awesome tracks in here are Ops, All to Get Her and the BEAUTIFUL "THE PALE MOTH". I am in love with this track from the moment it starts. I think this one has Benet Walsh on guitar (not sure who else it could be. they collab with this guy a lot so it has to be him), anyway, this gives me hard Wild West vibes, then hits you with majestic classical vibes. It's like Pino Pomo and Ooyu combined. I just don't know what to say, IT'S GREAT!

I'm happy they released the singles they did, there's much more amazingness in here that you need to check out for yourself, as much as I love the singles.

They did an awesome job this time around. Feeling a 9/10!
That Squidward crossover guy and Plaid fanatic. ALSO FUCK IM SORRY HAVENT BEEN INACTIVE ON HERE I'VE BEEN USING WATMM MORE :(

Posts Quantity
also god did Dancers grow on me so fast as a track. Now one of my favorites off this album. SO PRETTY

Sherbet Head
This is def an album I need to spin a few times to say anything useful about it at all. Need to let the tracks sink in my brain.

All To Get Her is an early favorite for sure, damn!

Sherbet Head
phpBB [media]

Site Admin
Gazebo4 wrote:This is def an album I need to spin a few times to say anything useful about it at all. Need to let the tracks sink in my brain.

All To Get Her is an early favorite for sure, damn!

This certainly is a grower for me too. For now it's safe to say that I hear more happy melodic tunes which I missed on Reachy Prints and The Digging Remedy.

In Nurula I sensed some Kettel influences and Praze really reminded me of Ochre's Raido and Napoli. That medieval sound also reminded my of Kettel and Secede's When Can album. I might be wrong but it sounds as they were inspired by it.
Life is a Frequency

Sherbet Head
This is the best Plaid record in years, such a grower, love the energy of this, just perfect!!!

Still regard Double Figure as their best record overall, but that one is also one of my favorite albums of all time. This is such a fresh approach from them though. Love it!

Plaid is criminally underrated imo. People are missing out!

Posts Quantity
Man, my top Plaid albums always change ever since I got into them, they're all 7-10's to me heh

think right now it'd go like:

Spokes > Rest Proof Clockwork > Polymer > Scintilli > Reachy Prints > Double Figure > Not For Threes > The Digging Remedy > Greedy Baby

Trainer and the movie soundtracks are also good stuff but I don't know where I'd fully put them since they're great in their own merits. :P

Previous

Return to This Random Sound