Switch to full style
Discussions related to music in general.
Post a reply

Re: Tool - Fear Inoculum

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:59 pm

mechanismj wrote:I haven't brought myself to listening to it yet. I actually watched the needle drop review before and it pretty well laid out what I was thinking it would end up being.

Mexicola wrote:Funnily enough I disappeared down a Swans rabbit hole on Friday. What a band.

Not to derail, but I fully agree. They are incredible, and they have a new song out called It's Coming It's Real.

...and it's wonderful. Perhaps we need a Swans thread?

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Mexicola wrote:
mechanismj wrote:I haven't brought myself to listening to it yet. I actually watched the needle drop review before and it pretty well laid out what I was thinking it would end up being.

Mexicola wrote:Funnily enough I disappeared down a Swans rabbit hole on Friday. What a band.

Not to derail, but I fully agree. They are incredible, and they have a new song out called It's Coming It's Real.

...and it's wonderful. Perhaps we need a Swans thread?

We don't have one?! I am both shocked and appalled!

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:41 pm

Mexicola wrote:He's always on the money. Not a single word I disagree with. Sorry, this is identikit Tool. Tool-lite

So you thought he was on the money with a 6/10 rating of Tomorrow’s Harvest, claiming it had “less depth and detail” than other BoC works? Cause even if he didn’t like TH, that’s just straight up wrong. If there’s one thing it’s not lacking, it’s detail.

Personally I can’t stand Fantano, but to each their own. That’s why I don’t watch him.

I’ve been listening to Tool since I was in 6th grade, so 2001. And I couldn’t disagree more with his assessment. It sounds like Tool because it’s their work, not because they’re trying to copy their own style. They’ve matured towards a more decidedly prog/post-metal direction rather than forcing the rage of their earlier works. Instrumentals were spectacular. Exploration of musical themes went to a level I don’t think any other Tool release has, though Lateralus remains my favorite.

Yeah, I think he’s way wrong. But to each their own.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Hot take: no album with that cover can be good. Look at it....

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:03 am

A_Northern_Soul wrote:Hot take: no album with that cover can be good. Look at it....

Well, I will give them points for their creative packaging. Shame it is no longer available or affordable.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:59 am

SamuraiDrifter wrote:
Mexicola wrote:He's always on the money. Not a single word I disagree with. Sorry, this is identikit Tool. Tool-lite

So you thought he was on the money with a 6/10 rating of Tomorrow’s Harvest

Have to say.. TH is not an album that's aged well imo.

As to Tool, yeah I first saw them live in 1993 when they promoted Undertow. I've loved ever album since and still do. But I'm sorry to say I think this one is horribly flat. Where are the hooks? The songs? As you say, each to their own.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:56 pm

I think there’s more in the way of hooks on FI than 10,000 Days. The title track, Pneuma, Invincible, and 7empest all have what I’d classify as hooks in their refrains. They just take it to a level of prog on par with The Mars Volta or King Crimson and the songs are definitely not concise.

As for TH... how did it not age well? And regardless of your opinion on it, detail is most certainly not something it’s lacking. It’s not my favorite BoC album but it may have more detail than anything else they’ve produced.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:03 pm

TH held my attention significantly longer than FI, that's for sure.

But please don't let me spoil your enjoyment. I'm certain you don't need me to validate either release.

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:45 am

To each their own, of course, yet...

It's funny, but some time ago, I made a bet of mine with someone that given APC's insulting 4.9/10, Tool would inevitably score higher on P4K. Obligatory. And they did, by 0.5 points more at 5.4 - above the median - even if not by their standards that will drop to zero.

I now see that my biggest complaint with Anthony "always on the money" Fanta, and this goes back long before this review, other than what's been said about the little time he gives to a record before a review is that he personally puts peer pressure above his own taste. Somewhere, at some point in time, he felt it necessary to do what very few critics who (track record in dispute) enjoy an act do without being entirely offended, which is to say, "disregarding 13 years of absence and my own commentary, I am going to give this what my current audience expects", face over palm, early video talking strongly on the title track with valid concerns. Anthony, mr. best teeth, goes the "rather be insulting route" than an honest review.

Tear it to shreds, man. Give it a low score and little thought. I wouldn't care. Though you go the route P4K went with APC. So close to "meh", but strongish 4/10. I'd be inclined to believe him over most if it weren't his thumbnail. As though that's us, as though we were looking forward to shared disappointment. At that point, coupled with your barebones review, I'm not sure what to feel.

I was hypocritical about Tomorrow's Harvest. In the same way as the MANY problems the new Tool has (mostly length/production, tbh) throughout its runtime, I criticised a good but imperfect record too soon and too heavily.

The one difference is that in both scenarios, I never felt so offended that I wasn't at least happy to see one of my favorite groups back - and under no circumstances, truthfully, did they lose SO MUCH that I'd give them less than the equivalent to a 5. Just me. This would make much more sense but I only have a phone to type on, so greater thoughts....they're there, but my neck is hurting and I'm sick of hitting delete.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:46 pm

SamuraiDrifter wrote:So you thought he was on the money with a 6/10 rating of Tomorrow’s Harvest, claiming it had “less depth and detail” than other BoC works?

I'm fairly sure his criticism had more to do with the lack of melody, not detail. In fact I remember him praising the production on the album, but complaining it didn't had as many melodies as the past records.

Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:14 am

phpBB [media]

Swap out Tool for BOC and this works just as well.

Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Mexicola wrote:
phpBB [media]

Swap out Tool for BOC and this works just as well.

Fucking nailed it!

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:38 am

Ok.....I have an admission to make.

It's taken months if perseverance. But. I'm finally enjoying this album. Took a lot of patience, but I got there. Descending is the only track I'm still waiting to blossom for me. Otherwise, yes, I 'get it' now.

Chocolate Chip Trip is still shite mind you. I'm not having that one.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:33 am

Forgive the drummer for trying to be part of the band.

And how he is! Too much some times. :D

Though it is just a live piece put on the record so I can't fault anyone for not liking it anymore than any of Danny's shit like the one with the crying baby or the very end of Lateralus.

Though if truncated right, I do believe it leads into Tempest decently. Whether or not that should be the end of the album is another story.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:27 am

Yes, Tempest sounds like an album opener to me.

They're playing Chocolate Chip Shit live too. Bizarre.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:08 pm

I can see Tempest opening the album but I don't feel as though track progression was considered as important this time around. There aren't as many and honestly, I did a little re-ordering myself, but that's aside the point. Choco Doggo is obviously Danny getting to do his thing that comes before the very end.

I think it's better than some of them.

The end itself? Miserable. I actually have to believe Mockingbeat has some sort of riddle to it because of how much it sucks. Though I don't believe many Tool fans listen to or even consider the "post-ending" bits of each album. As a fan of Viginti Tres, that disappoints me.

I digress. Can't wait to come back in a year later when Mexi considers CCT his favorite track on the record.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:49 pm

Lol. Only in a parallel universe ;-)

Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:41 am

Okay John, what exactly about it is it you don't like? Is it self-indulgence?

I ask only in interest of you singling it out, so I get the implication you feel the other instrumentals are better.

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:24 am

It's unlistenable bollocks? I makes (-)ions from Ænima sound melodic.

Seriously, not everything needs analysis. I don't like it. That's the deal. ;-)

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:42 pm

That's A-OK man. Was just curious lol.

Then, on the other instrumentals though, did any of them grow on you? I quite enjoy Legion Inoculant for how simple it is.
Post a reply