Your Best Albums of 2019

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Andromeda wrote:Joe Lovano: Trio Tapestry

I am listening to a performance of this right now. I love Lovano's collaboration album with Masada. So far this new stuff is just as wonderful. Thanks for mentioning it.

Boqurant
Going to echo the pick of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen. Just recently picked this up, having never really listened to Cave before and I'm pretty blown away. The emotion and honesty in the lyrics, along with the beautiful, dreamy instrumentation, is incredible. Very powerful album. I'll definitely be checking out Skeleton Tree next.

A few other highlights from this year:
Fennesz - Agora (This guy is up there with Stars of the Lid for most beautiful ambient music. Agora is more great stuff)
elbow - Giants of All Sizes (Incredible how consistent these guys are. Fantastic live too, hoping for another Australian tour)
Thom Yorke - Anima (I was surprised by this one, probably his best solo album. Last I Heard-Twist-Dawn Chorus is a fantastic run of tracks)
James Blake - Assume Form (Big improvement in his lyrics, feels much more relaxed. 'Into the Red' is one of my songs of the year, and 'Don't Miss It' was a track I could identify with very closely, it hit very close to home)

Probably a bit more mainstream than most here, I didn't spend as much time finding new music this year as I should have :( But I really enjoyed all the above albums.

Dayvan Cowboy
Top 5 for me would have to be:

1. Oh Sees - “Face Stabber”
2. Flying Lotus - “Flamagra”
3. Tool - “Fear Inoculum”
4. Billie Eilish - “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?”
5. Solange - “When I Get Home”

Some great EPs this year too, from Filmmaker, Poppy, The Comet is Coming, Guerilla Toss, and of course a couple of WXAXRXP Peel Sessions.

Dayvan Cowboy
My 3 most played are definitely...
The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All The Time
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka

The rest...
Caterina Barbieri - Ecstatic Computation
Dalham - Heat Death
Pye Corner Audio - Hollow Earth
Floating Points - Crush
Thom Yorke - Anima
Nils Frahm - Encores 2 & 3