New Mogwai imminent...

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
Ooh....

https://twitter.com/mogwaiband/status/1 ... 73861?s=21

I know they’ve been working with Dave Friedman again.

Happy Cycler
New single, Dry Fantasy, out now:

https://open.spotify.com/track/72rkuyRX ... NoNmVjg2gw

Album to follow in Feb.

One of the most consistently brilliant bands of the last 25 years*, new 'Gwai is always something to look forward to. The new single sounds lovely.

(* - Young Team came out 23 years ago this week. 23 years and Like Herod still terrifies me.)

Boqurant
phpBB [media]

Here is the official video, it's pretty sweet.

Happy Cycler
New album is out today and on first listen sounds fantastic.

Early in my first listen but this feels like a return to form. Didn't enjoy 'Every Country's Sun' at all. Promising.

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Yes, I'm liking it a lot. It's nothing new, nothing radical, but it's Mogwai and that's a good thing.

It's currently at number 1 in the UK, so there's a chance this could be their first No. 1 LP, which would be amazing. If you are in the UK and thinking of buying it (worth it, IMO) do it this week!

Dayvan Cowboy
Good record. "Fuck Off Money" is the best song title since "I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead."

Sherbet Head
They have the best song titles. Always had a soft spot for George Square Thatcher Death Party

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:Early in my first listen but this feels like a return to form. Didn't enjoy 'Every Country's Sun' at all. Promising.

Every Country's Sun was *fine* - I liked it but have hardly found myself going back to it; Rave Tapes was better... but even on the first few listens, I'm thinking this is their best since Hardcore Will Never Die..., which is probably my favourite 'Gwai album.

They seem good sorts too; one of my favourite bands ever.

Sherbet Head
A_Northern_Soul wrote:I'm thinking this is their best since Hardcore Will Never Die..., which is probably my favourite 'Gwai album.

Yeah, I'm thinking so too. That's also my favourite of theirs. In fact i literally just listened to it as i was in the Mogwai mood!

QFT.

A_Northern_Soul wrote:
Mexicola wrote:Early in my first listen but this feels like a return to form. Didn't enjoy 'Every Country's Sun' at all. Promising.

Every Country's Sun was *fine* - I liked it but have hardly found myself going back to it; Rave Tapes was better... but even on the first few listens, I'm thinking this is their best since Hardcore Will Never Die..., which is probably my favourite 'Gwai album.

They seem good sorts too; one of my favourite bands ever.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I haven't bought a Mogwai album since The Hawk is Howling, not sure why, I loved them, but then they kind of lost my attention in recent years. I'd heard good things about Hardcore... but never bought it, will have to check it and the new one out.
I like that they've become a sort of institution now, like elder statesmen (I'm the same age as them, haha) but haven't turned bland and shit.
One of my best friends came out with a classic line years ago when he first heard Mogwai - "They sound like Metallica tuning up", still makes me chuckle.

Posts Quantity
Midnight Flit is the highlight on this album, what a whopper!

Happy Cycler
jcnporter wrote:I like that they've become a sort of institution now, like elder statesmen (I'm the same age as them, haha) but haven't turned bland and shit.

I saw a great quote somewhere saying Mogwai were almost like our* generation's Neil Young: Every couple of years they'll release an album that sounds like them - the sound will be tweaked slightly, but it will sound like Mogwai. Always just outside the mainstream but still reasonably well known; a reliably solid live act. There's a lot to be said for artists that are just THERE.

They just landed their first no.1 in the UK. Amazing stuff!

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Very, very happy to see this. Such a deserving band and an amazing feat considering they release on their own label now.

They've been a constant in my life even longer than BoC. Heard their debut single on Peel and while I never managed to track down (or afford) a copy of that first 7", I bought literally everything they did ever since.

Sherbet Head
Twentington wrote:Midnight Flit is the highlight on this album, what a whopper!

It's a standout all right. Just read it's a collab with Atticus Ross

Sherbet Head
'Tis good.

Dayvan Cowboy
Bought this and Hardcore.. and really enjoying them both, definitely up there with my favourite Mogwai albums.
Hard to say what's my favourite on the new one, I love Mogwai when they do big and anthemic, what's interesting about this album is a few tracks, such as Drive the Nail and Ceiling Granny, sound quite un-Mogwai and very retro 90s alt-rock.

Next

Return to This Random Sound