Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Y'all couldn't contain yourselves and are hereby being quarantined to this thread. Have fun.

phpBB [media]
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Eagle Minded
I did really enjoy the tape, I just wish the guy didn't decide to try and make up an origin for it instead of just owning up that he made it. Could've just posted it here for us to check out or something.

The production was quite interesting on it. It was a pretty good sound-alike to BoC. I said to Fredd-E yesterday that it sounded like if BoC tried to make an album in a month :D

I'd have to listen to it again to be able to give more opinions on the tape.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Dayvan Cowboy
Biznasty wrote:Y'all couldn't contain yourselves and are hereby being quarantined to this thread. Have fun.

Cheers biz. :]
phpBB [media]

Keep the discussion civilized everyone.

Posts Quantity

Eagle Minded
Thank you for this thread!

Okay, here's what I'm thinking, and I admit I'm new here. Still, I've been listening to BOC for awhile.

For this, I'm going to assume that it is not a fake and it is not a hoax and it is not an attempt to get some attention from some random person.

There are moments that sound like the final product is being found or discovered. It sounds like working attempts at figuring out how the song will ultimately sound. I don't know if it was Fly in the Pool or another song, but the notes weren't exactly the way that we all know them to be in the version that we believe is real. This VHS tape version seriously sounds like a recording in the middle of the composition process. Ideas are not fully formed but you can tell they're getting close. That, in itself, exudes talent!

Now, assuming that it is indeed a fake, this is one of the best fakes I've ever heard. There was another that claimed to be a demo version of Nothing is Real that I loved, but it sounded too similar to the final product.

I can't seem to put my thoughts down correctly enough but what I'm trying to say is that this sounds like a recording that offers a window into the creation of these songs. It's like they recorded everything they had one day, decided they didn't like it as a finished product, worked on it some more, and then that led to what we all know of now as of the real versions of these songs.

One question I had to ask myself was, "Given the supposed age of these songs, as we currently know them, would christ. have been present for these recordings?"

If so, can we hear it?

Again, thank you for starting this thread.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Dayvan Cowboy
Sky and Trails wrote:

Yeah, kudos to biznasty for setting it up upon suggestion.

Biznasty wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Right, I want to ask this question before hand just so I can get an idea.

How does everyone feel about a topic dedicated to discussion of this VHS?
It may concentrate the conversation into one area, so we won't have to keep going around in circles on this topic.

So twoism, what do you think? :?:

Done.

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
Sky and Trails wrote:

Yeah, kudos to biznasty for setting it up upon suggestion.

Biznasty wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Right, I want to ask this question before hand just so I can get an idea.

How does everyone feel about a topic dedicated to discussion of this VHS?
It may concentrate the conversation into one area, so we won't have to keep going around in circles on this topic.

So twoism, what do you think? :?:

Done.

I meant to thank you, Orbited, for suggesting it in the other thread but I've been scared and stayed offline most of the day after the way things kind of snowballed.

Is it normal to feel anxiety on Twoism for posting too much or for being a noob?
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Posts Quantity
I posted this is the other thread, but I also agree that this recording packs way more authenticity and originality than ANY other BOC fake that has come before. The tracks, albeit short arrangements, sound amazing to my ears. I know some were quick to refute it’s legitimacy and pooped all over it, but I’m keeping an open mind that it “could” be the brothers until whoever created it actually balls up and steps forward.
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Eagle Minded
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:I posted this is the other thread, but I also agree that this recording packs way more authenticity and originality than ANY other BOC fake that has come before. The tracks, albeit short arrangements, sound amazing to my ears. I know some were quick to refute it’s legitimacy and pooped all over it, but I’m keeping an open mind that it “could” be the brothers until whoever created it actually balls up and steps forward.

Fuck yes. I totally agree.

Eagle Minded
Sky and Trails wrote:Is it normal to feel anxiety on Twoism for posting too much or for being a noob?

Don't worry about it, anyone who would judge you for any of that aren't worth your time. It's supposed to be a place for discussion, so you shouldn't feel this way about contributing anything

As far as the legitimacy of this tape thing goes, imo it sounds totally fake. I can't articulate it perfectly, but there's a certain kind of consistency in BoC's overall sound, melody and mood that is super recognizable. For example, although never confirmed, that adult swim bump a bit back about the "turn that smile upside down" to my ear immediately identified as BoC, for again the very familiar, consistent sound of their music. That's just my two cents though

Posts Quantity
NTFMTS wrote:
Sky and Trails wrote:Is it normal to feel anxiety on Twoism for posting too much or for being a noob?

Don't worry about it, anyone who would judge you for any of that aren't worth your time. It's supposed to be a place for discussion, so you shouldn't feel this way about contributing anything

As far as the legitimacy of this tape thing goes, imo it sounds totally fake. I can't articulate it perfectly, but there's a certain kind of consistency in BoC's overall sound, melody and mood that is super recognizable. For example, although never confirmed, that adult swim bump a bit back about the "turn that smile upside down" to my ear immediately identified as BoC, for again the very familiar, consistent sound of their music. That's just my two cents though

I can appreciate your sentiment. And I get it that music subjectivity is literally one of the most hotly debated and divisive topics on Earth, especially here.

When I listen to it though, I get the exact opposite reaction than you; the sound to me meshes almost too perfectly with the Old Tunes or Hooper Bay era of unbridled experimentation and rawness. The instrumentation, samples and synths sounds almost too spot-on with BOC during their early years. So either this guy is really, really good, or it’s actually legit. My .02 anyway. Besides, the world is going to shit right now and I need some positivity to lean on.

Posts Quantity
Another interesting tidbit to note: while it could just be a false breadcrumb purposely layered into track at 02:56 to make us think that it’s a vintage recording, the “New Eureka Express” vacuum cleaner was released in 1986. Also, Redondo Vacuum and Janitorial was a janitorial supply chain located in Southern California that permanently closed its doors in 2014 according to Google. I guess the question is, how available are TV or radio ads for small chain shops in the mid-1980’s? I did an extensive search online and on Youthube and couldn’t find any ads for the chain. Not saying it couldn’t be dug up somewhere but interesting that I was unable to find anything available. That would be some serious lengths to go through to make something seem legit? Especially a reference so obscure such as a mid-80’s janitorial supply shop ad.

Sherbet Head
Perhaps one of you spectrogram folks could compare the Boqurant and Seeya Later sections to existing copies. Also, the 11th song sounds familiar. Like a early version of something off the Random Tape.

Eagle Minded
NTFMTS wrote:

Interesting thoughts! I personally thought the Adult Swim bump (it was from the French Adult Swim, wasn't it?) was not BOC or even related. BUT! The more i listened, the more it DOES sound like them, which confuses me more.

The VHS tape music, like said above, has that raw sound that is done well enough to ALSO confuse me.

So, confusion abounds.

I like the way the VHS sounds like they hadn't quite landed on the final product. That's what gave it legitimacy to me.

I could go back and forth on this for hours with myself but the input from you all has me thinking...

If it is real, is it related to the zine article coming in May?
Or is that exactly what is being capitalized upon?

And thank you, NTFMTS. I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

Sherbet Head
:|
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
Biznasty wrote:I did really enjoy the tape, I just wish the guy didn't decide to try and make up an origin for it instead of just owning up that he made it. Could've just posted it here for us to check out or something.

Agreed.

I love fan remixes, mixtapes, and that sort of thing. Just acknowledge it for what it is. Maybe I'm just jaded because I've been here for years (under two different accounts since 2013) and I've seen a dozen or more hoaxes show up in that time, most following a very similar format (new users showing up here and on Reddit claiming to have "discovered" something). It just really turns me off from what is otherwise enjoyable music.

This sort of thing has been happening for years and years. There were fakes going around Soulseek in 2005 that still haven't been identified, see the BOC Apocrypha thread.

For what it's worth, this was pretty solidly debunked as a fake when the original YouTube channel was googled and it turned up an alternate title/tracklist for the mix (for anyone who needed that extra bit of confirmation beyond the sound of the non-BOC remix tracks).

Dayvan Cowboy
I suppose it's a testement to their place in musical history, but for the most part I wasn't getting the BoC vibes from this, but I was catching whiffs of artists like James Ferraro, Wiktor Stribog (especially), and PilotRedSun/PilotRedSky. Their style is kind of omnipresent within the time frame of the existence of electronic music in general, so it's no wonder it's so easy to try and pass stuff like this off as legit. It was a pleasant listen nonetheless.

Whatever, I'm not the bright eyed BoC fan I was back in 2010, so don't let me rain on anyone's fun here. :|
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Boqurant
Another golden calf

New Seed
zeoevil wrote:Perhaps one of you spectrogram folks could compare the Boqurant and Seeya Later sections to existing copies. Also, the 11th song sounds familiar. Like a early version of something off the Random Tape.
I compared the the Boqurant track spectrogram to the OTV1 tape version and they are not the same. They also have different overall pitches and timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Seed
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:Another interesting tidbit to note: while it could just be a false breadcrumb purposely layered into track at 02:56 to make us think that it’s a vintage recording, the “New Eureka Express” vacuum cleaner was released in 1986. Also, Redondo Vacuum and Janitorial was a janitorial supply chain located in Southern California that permanently closed its doors in 2014 according to Google. I guess the question is, how available are TV or radio ads for small chain shops in the mid-1980’s? I did an extensive search online and on Youthube and couldn’t find any ads for the chain. Not saying it couldn’t be dug up somewhere but interesting that I was unable to find anything available. That would be some serious lengths to go through to make something seem legit? Especially a reference so obscure such as a mid-80’s janitorial supply shop ad.
It’s not too difficult to find vintage advertisement recordings. Between YouTube and the Internet archives, there are vast amounts of compilations that are poorly labeled and ID’d which would make searching specific ones tough but for sampling purposes, it’s fairly straightforward.

For example: https://youtu.be/THTeQyyHTn8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next

Return to This Random Sound