Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
rjohnny wrote:This tape is not BoC, imo.

I think that this tape, when compared with the past dubious tunes that surfaced on youtube/vocaroo/etc, is more refined.

BUT, the proof that I search for when listening to unknown tunes is..the drums.
BoC have a particular way to work on drum tracks: they layer different tracks, some are live drums played by Mike, some are drum loops (some are probably sampled with the S1000 and then downsampled to lower bitrate), they pan different tracks L and R, put some percussions here and there, etc. The thing is, drums sound so full in their tracks. This is not a simple task, this must take a looot of time to get a perfect sound like that.

All these unknown tapes just use a single drum track at the center or at most two, one panned left and one panned right.

In my opinion their synth sounds are easier to get, you can use hardware synths or work with VSTs, use tape to add grit, make layers, sure a lot of work is needed here too, but the drums..well, this is something completely different.

Just my two cents :D

Ordinarily I would agree with you on the drums. But! Here's what I'm thinking: I think the brothers were fanatics when it came to drum triggers. So much of the stuff from the early days could have been done with midi triggers and I believe they could have accomplished a lot of the things that we hear in the more advanced work as well with certain trigger methods, for lack of a better phrase.
They could have accomplished some truly unique sampling techniques utilizing triggers as well. Or, should I simply say they could have triggered their samples? I know there has been mention of them using triggered samples in live shows, and I believe that's been confirmed by someone.
What I hear in the VHS tape sounds a lot like they had some sort of a drum trigger setup. I don't know why the hell I can't think of the right terminology right now. But hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

I agree that the drums were very simple if not elementary on the VHS tape, but it still worked. There were also several moments of what I would consider to be chaotic drumming, that reminded me of some earlier Warp stuff from other artists and this all led me to start thinking about that updated soundtrack for the animated movie Fantastic Planet, which I created a thread about recently.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Posts Quantity
WTF?

Posts Quantity
Compound Candy wrote:WTF?

meant this in regards to the video

Eagle Minded
babylulu wrote:Morse code in the video translates to a link that leads to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyCQQ514fZc

Holy shit, does this mean Desfax or Whitehorse?

Does this mean more new music from whoever that is?

I fucking hope so!
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Posts Quantity
Sky and Trails wrote:
babylulu wrote:Morse code in the video translates to a link that leads to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyCQQ514fZc

I fucking hope so!

I'd love to trust that, although it does seem a bit redundant to be honest...

Dayvan Cowboy
Sky and Trails wrote:

I fucking hope so!

To me, It looks to me like someone might be trying to string together a new ARG for us to follow along with. That's just my gut feeling.

Posts Quantity

16 1 25 3 12 15 19 5 1 20 20 5 14 20 9 15 14 = paycloseattention

Friendly Stranger
Sky and Trails wrote:
rjohnny wrote:This tape is not BoC, imo.

I think that this tape, when compared with the past dubious tunes that surfaced on youtube/vocaroo/etc, is more refined.

BUT, the proof that I search for when listening to unknown tunes is..the drums.
BoC have a particular way to work on drum tracks: they layer different tracks, some are live drums played by Mike, some are drum loops (some are probably sampled with the S1000 and then downsampled to lower bitrate), they pan different tracks L and R, put some percussions here and there, etc. The thing is, drums sound so full in their tracks. This is not a simple task, this must take a looot of time to get a perfect sound like that.

All these unknown tapes just use a single drum track at the center or at most two, one panned left and one panned right.

In my opinion their synth sounds are easier to get, you can use hardware synths or work with VSTs, use tape to add grit, make layers, sure a lot of work is needed here too, but the drums..well, this is something completely different.

Just my two cents :D

Ordinarily I would agree with you on the drums. But! Here's what I'm thinking: I think the brothers were fanatics when it came to drum triggers. So much of the stuff from the early days could have been done with midi triggers and I believe they could have accomplished a lot of the things that we hear in the more advanced work as well with certain trigger methods, for lack of a better phrase.
They could have accomplished some truly unique sampling techniques utilizing triggers as well. Or, should I simply say they could have triggered their samples? I know there has been mention of them using triggered samples in live shows, and I believe that's been confirmed by someone.
What I hear in the VHS tape sounds a lot like they had some sort of a drum trigger setup. I don't know why the hell I can't think of the right terminology right now. But hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

I agree that the drums were very simple if not elementary on the VHS tape, but it still worked. There were also several moments of what I would consider to be chaotic drumming, that reminded me of some earlier Warp stuff from other artists and this all led me to start thinking about that updated soundtrack for the animated movie Fantastic Planet, which I created a thread about recently.

Yes, I get your point :mrgreen: they definitely used midi triggering, for a live situation is almost mandatory, for example in the live version of Telephasic Workshop (probably my favourite live performance of theirs) drums are definitely made by midi triggered samples.

But in a studio situation it's a whole another story. Taking Forest Moon as an example (another favourite) the drums are very unique, you have the drum loop going on for the whole song but at the 2 minutes mark another hi-hat track appears which remains left panned for the entire song, at the 3 minute mark claps (pitched down) appears in the right channel, at 5 minutes you have that the loop is being pitched down/filtered with a LPF etc. What I'm trying to say is that in every songs of theirs with drums in it, they are made with an incredible attention to details, details I cannot hear in these unknown and (most probably) fan-made tracks.

Buuut I agree with you, in the VHS tape the drums are very good, they are on point :D I enjoyed it for what it is, a nice fan-made music mixtape, very good attention to the sound and nice song structures

Boqurant
oakmoss&amber wrote:

16 1 25 3 12 15 19 5 1 20 20 5 14 20 9 15 14 = paycloseattention

This video also contains the flashing string:

"message board error code: A3, -H0. 0F59C90F"
Last edited by karpeggi on Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boqurant
The morse code in the video description field of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ39gZoTHVE translates from

.---- ----. / ..... / ..... / .---- .---- / --... / .---- -.... / .---- ----. / ...-- / .---- ..... / .---- ..... / .---- ---.. / ....- / ----. / .---- ....- / .---- / ..--- ----- / ..... / .---- ----.

to

s e e k g p s c o o r d i n a t e s

New Seed
Hmmm in the "Seek" video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyCQQ514fZc) there are several numbers in the text which could possibly be combined to create GPS coordinates?

April 9
Fiftyfive
4pm
June 6
$0
April 7

Eagle Minded
this is the real speculation forum lol.

Eagle Minded
Can someone reverse the video titled 195511, sounds like there is a reversed phrase at the very end of the track

Eagle Minded
Sounds a lot like Prohibted Broadcastings stuff.

Eagle Minded
Y’all making my Tuesday pretty pretty pretty solid. Don’t stop, and if it’s Geo fk’n with us again I’m totally ready for the Rick Roll. Catherine has to land some day.

Dayvan Cowboy
Navaru wrote:Y’all making my Tuesday pretty pretty pretty solid. Don’t stop

As I've just mentioned to somebody, twoism always seems to blow up on a Tuesday.

Posts Quantity
hm
well i think they lead to somewhere, i dont think thats where theyre supposed to lead. it would make sense if they were coordinates considering the "40." at the beginning of the video

Posts Quantity
babylulu wrote:Image
hm
well i think they lead to somewhere, i dont think thats where theyre supposed to lead. it would make sense if they were coordinates considering the "40." at the beginning of the video

another possibility

Boqurant
hexagonFox wrote:Can someone reverse the video titled 195511, sounds like there is a reversed phrase at the very end of the track

Sure, here's a reversed mp3 https://we.tl/t-SJCwJqwUvM

Eagle Minded
karpeggi wrote:
hexagonFox wrote:Can someone reverse the video titled 195511, sounds like there is a reversed phrase at the very end of the track

Sure, here's a reversed mp3 https://we.tl/t-SJCwJqwUvM

thanks bro, at work at the moment

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound