Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

SamuraiDrifter wrote:For what it's worth, this was pretty solidly debunked as a fake when the original YouTube channel was googled and it turned up an alternate title/tracklist for the mix (for anyone who needed that extra bit of confirmation beyond the sound of the non-BOC remix tracks).

For good measure, here is the original post that brought this to our attention.

mondaffe wrote:Interesting that if you Google the channel name UC0lL5hMzu0LkkKrw91GZd3Q, you get an alternative title and tracklist in the cache

https://www.google.com/search?q=UC0lL5h ... e&ie=UTF-8

Strange Soup

Tracklist:
1. Intro
2. Eureka
3. Tilt-a-whirl
4. Lunardreamz
5. Cytosine
6. Kaleidoscope
7. Fractal
8. Raindancer
9. 9teen70
10. Untitled

I wonder why all the stubborn believers keep on ignoring this rather solid evidence. The original channel with the far fetched back story originally got the above info listed. Google does not forget. Nuff said?!

And now the audio (with different video) got conveniently uploaded to another channel. Without the far fetched story this time. It’s getting old now.

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:I wonder why all the stubborn believers keep on ignoring this rather solid evidence. The original channel with the far fetched back story originally got the above info listed. Google does not forget. Nuff said?!

And now the audio (with different video) got conveniently uploaded to another channel. Without the far fetched story this time. It’s getting old now.

Fairly obviously fake to my eyes, I just didn't want general new release to continue being bombarded with non-stop posts about this. :|

Orbited insanitarium wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:I wonder why all the stubborn believers keep on ignoring this rather solid evidence. The original channel with the far fetched back story originally got the above info listed. Google does not forget. Nuff said?!

Fairly obviously fake to my eyes, I just didn't want general new release to continue being bombarded with non-stop posts about this. :|

It shouldn’t be in the BOC Forum either then. I’d better move it to TRS.

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:

Good call.

Dayvan Cowboy
The track starting around 3:15 has a very R35-A03 sound to it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Negamuse wrote:The track starting around 3:15 has a very R35-A03 sound to it.

Reminded me of Finity.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:

It's not so much stubborn belief on my part as much as it's interest in whoever created this, the processes they used, their reasons and motivation for doing such a thing, and whether or not they have more because I am constantly making mixtapes for myself and this seemed like it could have been a source of more material.

Maybe it might help to think of the stubborn believers like this:
Just as everyone lost their minds trying to find every single possible thing in sxt, most of that if not all of that was NOT BOC. Still, it created interest in other music and allowed for longer playlists for each of us to listen to throughout the day. In the beginning, it was a little much for me watching from the sidelines as a lurker here. But! I loved it.

I'm not saying that this VHS thing is similar or related but it generated the same kind of excitement for some new music that I hadn't heard before. I think I just word things very stupidly and send a very confusing message. That's on me.

Since it has officially been debunked then I look forward to it being moved to another section of the forum.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Dayvan Cowboy
Sky and Trails wrote:Maybe it might help to think of the stubborn believers like this:
Just as everyone lost their minds trying to find every single possible thing in sxt, most of that if not all of that was NOT BOC. Still, it created interest in other music and allowed for longer playlists for each of us to listen to throughout the day. In the beginning, it was a little much for me watching from the sidelines as a lurker here. But! I loved it.

I'm not saying that this VHS thing is similar or related but it generated the same kind of excitement for some new music that I hadn't heard before. I think I just word things very stupidly and send a very confusing message. That's on me.

That's true.

Honesty if there is one positive to take away, at least you are discovering some new music.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sky and Trails wrote:Maybe it might help to think of the stubborn believers like this:

The difference being that we know BOC compiled the Societas X Tape.

Not to say there's no entertainment that can be gained from hoaxs, fakes, and fan mixes. Just so long as people recognize that's what they're dealing with.

Eagle Minded
Am i the only one that just doesn't think this is particularly good? Sounds like a less good Tycho with some Boc stuff airlifted in.

i'd be inclined to be kinder about it if the author hadn't been a little sneaky in creating a backstory that would lead ppl to believe this is authentic.
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Posts Quantity
Yes, the VHS thrift store backstory comes across as laughable and totally unnecessary, but IMO the music contained within shouldn’t be judged and disqualified so quickly solely based on this alone. There could be any number of reasons why it was uploaded or leaked under false pretense (but damned if I know). Interesting to wonder that if it were posted to YouTube without the accompanying backstory, I think it may have been viewed a little more objectively here within the community.

And let’s not forget that when Old Tunes and a Few Old Tunes were leaked to Soulseek, they were shit all over as fakes kind of like, you know, what’s happened here today… So, I wouldn’t consider it completely debunked just yet (maybe only 99% debunked lol). All I’m saying is that to my 20-year fan ears, while there’s some questionable content, there’s still music captured within that sounds quite authentic and fitting with the Old Tunes era and style. I will continue to enjoy the listen while remaining skeptical, but with an open mind. Cheers.
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Posts Quantity
I totally join both opinions from "Brendan Standing Alone" and "Sky And Trails" (Am I within a BoC tracklist? ). So far the VHS thing hasn't been officially debunked (which does not mean I am saying it is THEM) and I do think the effort is a great one in reproducing the brothers' early sound, actually the best imitation (if it is one) I have heard, and trust me I have a whole archive of BoC-alike! If it is indeed a fake, then too bad for the creator as shit hit the fan for him and he maybe won't get the recognition he/she deserves , if it is not a fake then...hoo-ray! Still, I also do get Fred-E's point as "We've been here before". For now, let's just enjoy the music!

Posts Quantity
Heard quite a few fakes and after a couple of days of listening to this VHS tape, I believe this is genuine but in an illegitimate way if that makes any sense. There is something "on" about it and at the same time, something "off" about it. You can say whatever you want about this, but this tape has some earworms. I'm not a fan of Tycho, but I used to be and have not once thought about this sounding like him. Not one time has that crossed my mind and that is usually the first artist that pops in my head when I hear someone trying to recreate the boc sound.

Not too sure what it may be, but it seems that the backstory was intended to sound like shit. The first time I read through it, I knew I was being trolled. The "Maybe you know?" at the end totally gave it away for me. Saying this artist "intended to release this due to tracklist being found on google" does not tell us anything. Maybe you all have seen more of these kinds of shenanigans than I have but it doesn't take away from the fact that this is a superb mix of unknowns.

It's always only supposed to be about the music, Right?

Posts Quantity
oakmoss&amber wrote:Heard quite a few fakes and after a couple of days of listening to this VHS tape, I believe this is genuine but in an illegitimate way if that makes any sense. There is something "on" about it and at the same time, something "off" about it. You can say whatever you want about this, but this tape has some earworms. I'm not a fan of Tycho, but I used to be and have not once thought about this sounding like him. Not one time has that crossed my mind and that is usually the first artist that pops in my head when I hear someone trying to recreate the boc sound.

Not too sure what it may be, but it seems that the backstory was intended to sound like shit. The first time I read through it, I knew I was being trolled. The "Maybe you know?" at the end totally gave it away for me. Saying this artist "intended to release this due to tracklist being found on google" does not tell us anything. Maybe you all have seen more of these kinds of shenanigans than I have but it doesn't take away from the fact that this is a superb mix of unknowns.

Solid assessment and agree that it doesn’t sound anything like Tycho IMO.

Posts Quantity
oakmoss&amber wrote:Heard quite a few fakes and after a couple of days of listening to this VHS tape, I believe this is genuine but in an illegitimate way if that makes any sense. There is something "on" about it and at the same time, something "off" about it. You can say whatever you want about this, but this tape has some earworms. I'm not a fan of Tycho, but I used to be and have not once thought about this sounding like him. Not one time has that crossed my mind and that is usually the first artist that pops in my head when I hear someone trying to recreate the boc sound.

And I think you nailed it about the music being both “off” and “on” at the same time. This is probably WAY too far-fetched a theory, but what if you were a close friend or relative of the brothers from a long time ago, or maybe someone who had since come into possession of a private cassette copy of the fabled Catalog 3, Play By Numbers, Closes, etc., and were asked to keep it under wraps since it might be commercially released one day as part of an old track remastered box set. I know that if I were that person and was so inclined to get the music out there, especially if I knew there was perhaps no official plans to have it officially released, I’d definitely want to distance myself and create a false pretense to post the music online. Wouldn’t want to risk a relationship or be sued by a record label. However ridiculous the backstory might come across. Just saying, there’s some smoke here with this release.

New Seed
Man sometimes I get really sad at what this forum has become :( (yes I realize I'm going to get attacked for this)...

I've been a BOC fan since the 90's, and I've avidly followed the online discussion since the beginning. Heck I even remember pre-bocpages when it was some just guy aggregating all the conspiracy theories in a document after Geogaddi ended up on Rhapsody.

In the beginning, it seemed like all the discussion was open-minded exploration of *the music.* Whether it was a confirmed BOC release or not, people would talk about the songs they loved, run stuff through spectograms looking for clues, try to make sense out of track lengths and samples, and just overall have fun engaging in the mystery that surrounded BOC.

Now all anyone does is debate whether something is fake or not. I posted this video in the "New Release" thread because it piqued my interest and was the most authentic sounding leak I've since the tapes. Sure enough, immediately everyone jumped on me with suspicion. Why did I post it? What was my motive? Someone said "I have some explaining to do." Someone else bemoaned the lengths the hoaxers go to in order to get noticed. It was just so much complaining and talking about issues surrounding the music rather than talking about the music itself. Since this was posted, 95% of the discussion about this video has been suspicion, disbelief, skepticism, and a host of other negatively-framed reactions. Every post is whether someone thinks it's fake or whether someone thinks it's authentic. Only a small minority of posts have actually involved discussing (*gasp*) the music itself, or the track titles, or what it could all mean.

BOC is a group that is inseparable from mystery and conspiracy. That is their essence. Focusing on whether something is authentic or not totally misses the point. They have created such an incredible experience filled with endless mysteries and clues to explore. I miss when people actually explored those clues, and kept an open mind, and had fun doing it.

Sorry... /rant.

Anyway... total runtime 42:26 = next release 4/2/26 see you all there.

Dayvan Cowboy
I actually agree completely with all of the above.

Twoism has become too obsessive recently, I've only been here 7 months but it's saddening to me.
I care about this place so please don't let it turn into somewhere I don't like spending time on.

I'll be completely honest, I just haven't enjoyed the past few days on here one bit.

Signing off for the day. - Orbited.

Eagle Minded
we need to stop hoaxers from taking advantage of twoism
the solution is revenge. make the guy regret ever thinking of sharing a fake
im not giving any ideas but you can already start suggesting creative methods of shaming fakers
we are taking twoism back
yes, i would love to be free!

Eagle Minded
I just had the chance to catch up on this thread today and I agree with so much that was said.

This, right here, is why I hate that I'm using a cell phone to communicate. My laptop is broken so I have no other option right now, and that means I can't give proper time stamps which I deeply regret.

That being said, one of the tracks, even though overall it sounds gritty and old, has a synthesizer arpeggio or something that kicks in that is much clearer (but not 'newer'). That really intrigued me because I couldn't quite understand how you could have a Lo-Fi sound but a slightly higher-fi sound at the same time (obviously, I'm aware of how you can use an audio program and mix something old with something new, but that's not what I'm trying to express), yet have it still feel so natural. It wasn't out of place at all. And the arp was very cool.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Eagle Minded
supdudes wrote:Man sometimes I get really sad at what this forum has become :( (yes I realize I'm going to get attacked for this)...

I've been a BOC fan since the 90's, and I've avidly followed the online discussion since the beginning. Heck I even remember pre-bocpages when it was some just guy aggregating all the conspiracy theories in a document after Geogaddi ended up on Rhapsody.

In the beginning, it seemed like all the discussion was open-minded exploration of *the music.* Whether it was a confirmed BOC release or not, people would talk about the songs they loved, run stuff through spectograms looking for clues, try to make sense out of track lengths and samples, and just overall have fun engaging in the mystery that surrounded BOC.

Now all anyone does is debate whether something is fake or not. I posted this video in the "New Release" thread because it piqued my interest and was the most authentic sounding leak I've since the tapes. Sure enough, immediately everyone jumped on me with suspicion. Why did I post it? What was my motive? Someone said "I have some explaining to do." Someone else bemoaned the lengths the hoaxers go to in order to get noticed. It was just so much complaining and talking about issues surrounding the music rather than talking about the music itself. Since this was posted, 95% of the discussion about this video has been suspicion, disbelief, skepticism, and a host of other negatively-framed reactions. Every post is whether someone thinks it's fake or whether someone thinks it's authentic. Only a small minority of posts have actually involved discussing (*gasp*) the music itself, or the track titles, or what it could all mean.

BOC is a group that is inseparable from mystery and conspiracy. That is their essence. Focusing on whether something is authentic or not totally misses the point. They have created such an incredible experience filled with endless mysteries and clues to explore. I miss when people actually explored those clues, and kept an open mind, and had fun doing it.

Sorry... /rant.

Anyway... total runtime 42:26 = next release 4/2/26 see you all there.

Man, I hate how stupid I can be sometimes when I'm reading. For a minute I thought you were saying that you were the creator of the VHS tape audio. I even think my most recent reply might imply that I thought that.

I'm really glad you linked the video or posted it. That was an absolute gold nugget for me in a time when I have been struggling to find good new music to listen to on a daily basis. There's a thread on this forum, Now Playing, that has produced a few things that I really liked, but on the whole I haven't had much luck in the last several months. I'm one of those people that absolutely must have a soundtrack to my daily life and this VHS tape music was able to add to that in an incredible way.

I'm a musician. I get super excited about music. I love interacting with other musicians. But one thing that I have never experienced until finding boc, was having all of those things in common with a large group of people, people who "get it."

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound