Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
@Electronaldmcdonald2:

This is my first time reading these particular interviews. After reading all that, I think I'm more convinced all this- from the thrift store tape, all the arg stuff and the "Random Tunes", has to be their early recordings,,,without a doubt.

I believe that this was all done by design. They knew no one would ever believe that there's a discovered VHS tape containing their music, so they or someone involved staged a YT channel. I mean,, c'mon, it's so clever. Why not get someone in the states to go under cover and pick a place to pretend where they supposedly found the tape? They knew this would be swept under the rug as a fake. Then again I could be wrong, but in my mind this is what's really taking place.

It's the "Home Recording" of them playing piano and guitar at the end of Random Tunes that really stood out to me.
They used the same melodic structure or fragments. You can also hear a Scottish voice for a split second at the beginning of the recording.

EDIT: Track 17 Live rehearsal 1988 - You can clearly hear the actual synth that was used in the track Skimming Stones from the Old Tunes album. You can clearly hear it is also the same melodic structure as well. I believe this to be where. that track originated from before it evolved into Skimming Stones.

Maybe I'm just losing my mind :D

Boqurant
I’m with you. What stands out as odd to me is the year long lead up of the thrift store tape, which never overtly mentioned boards of canada, people just heard it and had an uncanny feeling.

But recently the randomstranger youtube channel dropped “Last” and “Random Tunes” which to me is a strong suggestion that a) the uploader wants it to be attributed to boc, and b) the thrift store tape videos are linked.

Plus (for instance, there are many examples) “random tunes” starts off with a very similar rhythm section to 1969. it could be from an early demo, it could be modern audio stem splitting software. I like to think its the former, like the interview says they revisit old tapes and pull the pieces they like into new works. I hope what we are hearing in random tunes is the demo that eventually became 1969. Hope to know for sure someday.

New Seed
On the Random Tunes Track 10 [@ ca 22:52] = is the same Melody pitched down on Boc Maxima Red Moss
...and to my ears if this would be a fake those fakers are Geneticists who got hold of some of the brothers DNA :wink:

Boqurant
It was this quote that reminded me of their closing statement last year, when they got rightfully p*ssed off with people trying to copyright and monetise the mixes, before they closed all their youtube accounts.

“We've always been quite prolific and back then all that mattered to us was to give all our friends copies of our music, so we started making up tapes and packaging them, and circulating them. It was just for the love of it so we never asked anyone to pay for them”

“Although the thrift store tape and the other tapes out there are not copyrighted, the music was never intended for commercial or financial gain…. The only purpose ever intended for this music was for the small niche audience that appreciates it”

Posts Quantity
Gosh! Just stumbled on that "Sir Prancelot Brainfire" sitar version = L.O.V.E

Boqurant
@compound candy
what was the "Sir Prancelot Brainfire" sitar version on? Sounds great

New Seed
The RandomPoster69 account that supposedly had the back cover of the random tunes video isn't on archive.org, does anyone have any archives of the tumblr account?

Posts Quantity
SunkenStudios wrote:The RandomPoster69 account that supposedly had the back cover of the random tunes video isn't on archive.org, does anyone have any archives of the tumblr account?

I saved all of the photos that were on the RandomPoster69 Tumblr account. One of them directed to a Soundcloud account if I remember correctly.

New Seed
Thank you so much!

Friendly Stranger
The QR Code oddly enough takes you to a deleted SoundCloud track.

Posts Quantity
R7CrazyCanucks wrote:The QR Code oddly enough takes you to a deleted SoundCloud track.

This track starts in 0:00 on the Part 2 of the compilation i made.

Friendly Stranger
Yeah. I've seen Reimu's new video of the update on the VHS ARG, and I hope to see another ARG like this again, but this time with all of the original high quality tracks from the Thrift Shop VHS in its raw form.

Posts Quantity
Been quiet around here. Has this been officially and finally debunked after all the exploratory work done by Reimu and Magic to uncover and explore the random stranger ARG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Posts Quantity
I united the 3 parts compilation into one video in a new Magic Orange channel, i can't believe it's almost 3 hours of a good homage to BoC, and that in a thread with more than 30 pages the opinions, thoughts and discoveries changed a lot, like me.
I remember that i made a comment saying that i don't like the artist don't reveal who he is, or that i started to find boring the clouds in every video, or that the arg was confusing because i was thinking it was someone copying the style of the first video.
But weeks later, i don't care about nothing above, doesn't matter anymore, i'm just enjoying the music.

phpBB [media]

Boqurant
rodox_head wrote:I was catching whiffs of artists like James Ferraro, Wiktor Stribog (especially), and PilotRedSun/PilotRedSky.

A year later I'm just getting into PilotRedSun/PilotRedSky and noticed the similarity right away

Friendly Stranger
Minor discovery. The sunset footage used at the end of Selection A (Offload 2) was likely taken from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36mcN0-XalI

I had thought the vacation footage, or the footage of what looked like girls dancing on a stage, might have been recorded by the artist's family. It now seems more likely that it was all found online.

Posts Quantity
So I was doing some digging the other night. I think other eyes help so here we go.

A friend of mine and I noticed last year that the original Thrift store-found vhs tape's length is 42:26 and "4226" is also the coordinates of Hell, Michigan - which is a location that has been linked by the Hell Interface Bandcamp Community page and HI Facebook page. At first we thought, "Total coincidence." Well, the other night in boredom, I wondered if there were any other connections to numerology intertwining the Thrift Store Anomaly and the Hell Michigan Wikipedia that were missed or just not noticed. Thinking I would not see anything, I immediately noticed something in the first paragraph of Hell, Michigan's Wikipedia page.

"Hell is an unincorporated community in Livingston County, Michigan. The population was 72 according to The Sydney Morning Herald in 2012. The community is located along Patterson Lake Road about 15 miles (24 km) northwest of Ann Arbor and three miles (4.8 km) southwest of Pinckney. Hell, Michigan is served by the Pinckney post office with the 48169 ZIP Code."

Hell, Michigan coordinates - 42°26
42:26 is the length of the Thrift store-found VHS tape with weird music on it.
---
"The community is located along Patterson Lake Road about 15 miles (24 km) northwest of Ann Arbor"
(Selection A) Offload 2 video clocking in at 15:24.
---
Random Tunes is 48 minutes and 3 seconds long.
"and 3 miles (4.8 km) southwest of Pinckney.

The US postal service does not recognize the town as "Hell." They use the nearby town PINCKNEY as the mailing address.

"This is okay, but this Pink side's much softer" - The first sample in Eleven Missing Tracks.

Eleven Missing Tracks is 24:01 / I did not see anything that really stood out in that department except for the (24 km NW of Ann Arbor.)

Pareidolia? Maybe.

Now all of this sounds pretty crazy, I know. I was not even considering all of these things factoring in together, but then I came across an article on the Pioneer spacecraft and where it was built. Redondo Beach, California.

"The New Eureka Express is available at Redondo Vacuum & Janitorial."

If anyone has any thing else to add, any insights or correlations, please feel free to chime in.

Eagle Minded
Ok this is weird but I have something to add to that.

Boards of Canada
Years Active 1986 - present

The new Eureka Express released 1986 ( Find part of the sample below)
phpBB [media]

Available at Redondo Vacuum and Janitorial

The Pioneer spacecraft 10 & 11 were built by TRW Space & Technology Group, Redondo Beach, Calif. under contract with NASA, Ames Research Center.
https://news.northropgrumman.com/news/releases/photo-release-northrop-grumman-celebrates-50-years-of-performance-innovation-and-discovery-in-space

Not only that but TRW is Now Northrop Grumman essentially where all pioneer 10 & 11 transmissions are received.

this getting even weirder ... I dont know if I ever mentioned this but back when all this was going down I was on google street view trying to find The Redondo Vacuum & Janitorial location.

It has since closed so I had to go back to April of 2018 on street view.

But I found it! Eureka!!

That's not the weird part.
If you face the building and then turn around someone had placed a sticker near the dumpster.

A white rabbit holding a turquoise egg.
With the words
Easter egg Hunt.

Im starting to feel like these are not coincidences any more.

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

Oop just found the sample from 11 missing tracks
Seems like another 1986 date.
Can't help to think about BOC'S "1986 summer fire"

Happy Hunting

Boqurant
Fantastic new findings! Very intriguing

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound