Now Playing:

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Online
Posts: 301
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
A_Northern_Soul wrote:I've definitely switched to listening to more wintery music over the last couple of weeks (along with switching to drinking Guinness, stopping wearing my "summer" trainers and digging out the wooly cardie - all without actively choosing to do so, it just seems like the *right* thing)

And it's DEFINITELY Nick Drake season...

phpBB [media]


Indeed it is! Enjoy that Guinness :D

And yes nick has quietly popped up into my playlists lately (bryter layter is brilliant about now) , I was walking through my local woods the other day, lots of crispy golden leafs on the ground. (Perfect for drake’s northern sky or river man)

Not long before the autumnal atmospherics are gone.

phpBB [media]
My hobbies include laughing in the dark.

User avatar
Happy Cycler
Status: Offline
Posts: 2631
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Location: Edinburgh
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
A_Northern_Soul wrote:I've definitely switched to listening to more wintery music over the last couple of weeks (along with switching to drinking Guinness, stopping wearing my "summer" trainers and digging out the wooly cardie - all without actively choosing to do so, it just seems like the *right* thing)

And it's DEFINITELY Nick Drake season...

phpBB [media]


Indeed it is! Enjoy that Guinness :D

And yes nick has quietly popped up into my playlists lately (bryter layter is brilliant about now) , I was walking through my local woods the other day, lots of crispy golden leafs on the ground. (Perfect for drake’s northern sky or river man)

Not long before the autumnal atmospherics are gone.



phpBB [media]



That 1st Fleet Foxes album is a big winter album for me - always associate it with Christmas. It'll be time for Mercury Rev's Desterters Songs soon too.

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1171
Joined: 21 May 2013
Global Communication's 76:14 is my Autumn album. It just has that vibe to it, always have it on this time of year.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 349
Joined: 12 Dec 2020
Location: Chicago, IL
A_Northern_Soul wrote:I've definitely switched to listening to more wintery music over the last couple of weeks (along with switching to drinking Guinness, stopping wearing my "summer" trainers and digging out the wooly cardie - all without actively choosing to do so, it just seems like the *right* thing)

And it's DEFINITELY Nick Drake season...

phpBB [media]


Some of my fondest memories of listening to nick drake have been in winter. I used to pop in Pink Moon every time I would take a walk in the winter, it fit so well
get a shot of protection

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 173
Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Location: Cyberia
Where I'm from the winters are very cold and rainy so most of the music I've been listening to lately is more like this:
phpBB [media]


Nothing fits the atmosphere of walking through a grey-sky drizzling rain while passing by working class folk and wandering vagrants, or stepping outside at work at 4:30 in the morning and standing underneath the extended roof to stare at the vast darkness surrounding you, quite like some melancholic Drum n' Bass.
He who is not bold enough to be stared at from across the abyss is not bold enough to stare into it himself.
Image

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 449
Joined: 1 Jul 2013
Location: Massachusetts, USA
An album from 2019 that I slept on.

Danger Mouse & Karen O -- Lux Prima

User avatar
Boqurant
Status: Offline
Posts: 59
Joined: 6 Apr 2021
Location: Clermont, Florida
phpBB [media]


someone posted on reddit earlier and can't get enough of it.
smiles and experiments in the vanilla kitchen at our cabin in the woods

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 173
Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Location: Cyberia
Currently listening through the whole of The Future Sound of London's "Lifeforms". Really great ambient techno album.
He who is not bold enough to be stared at from across the abyss is not bold enough to stare into it himself.
Image

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Online
Posts: 301
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
rodox_head wrote:Currently listening through the whole of The Future Sound of London's "Lifeforms". Really great ambient techno album.


Love that album, so many stand-outs, quite a "wall of sound" experience. Also king crimson guitarist Robert Fripp is on the track "cerebral" which is spine-tingling :D
My hobbies include laughing in the dark.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 349
Joined: 12 Dec 2020
Location: Chicago, IL
DJ Sprinkles - Midtown 120 Blues (the song)

..Bump it the FUCK up
get a shot of protection

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 173
Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Location: Cyberia
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
rodox_head wrote:Currently listening through the whole of The Future Sound of London's "Lifeforms". Really great ambient techno album.


Love that album, so many stand-outs, quite a "wall of sound" experience. Also king crimson guitarist Robert Fripp is on the track "cerebral" which is spine-tingling :D

Not to mention the bass riff, one of the standout tracks for me.

Now Playing: City of Dreams - Simcity 3000
The Jerry Martin era was easily the best for Maxis soundtracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc5cUXUDun8
He who is not bold enough to be stared at from across the abyss is not bold enough to stare into it himself.
Image

User avatar
Dayvan Cowboy
Status: Offline
Posts: 1171
Joined: 21 May 2013
New Hammock album just out.

phpBB [media]

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Online
Posts: 301
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
New-ish Baroque pop, melody’s the word for this one. :)

phpBB [media]
My hobbies include laughing in the dark.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 173
Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Location: Cyberia
Poradnik Uśmiechu OST - Na Złej Drodze by Wiktor Stribog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkA3UmBBBmQ

I think this soundtrack hits a similar note of bleakness to Geogaddi and Tomorrow's Harvest, and the series itself is easily comparable to the former in visual style.
He who is not bold enough to be stared at from across the abyss is not bold enough to stare into it himself.
Image

User avatar
Happy Cycler
Status: Offline
Posts: 2631
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Location: Edinburgh
Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - I Wonder if I Take You Home: https://open.spotify.com/track/1xMKyJ37 ... 4a67434bff

From this brilliant playlist of Shep Pettibone mixes/ remixes: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6CnQO ... 0756c247e7

It's basically the sound of cocaine. My nose hurts just listening to it.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Online
Posts: 301
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Sheer brilliant new wave from THE THE, my go to choice for accordion 80s music :D
phpBB [media]
My hobbies include laughing in the dark.

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 260
Joined: 4 Feb 2021
Location: Brazil
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Sheer brilliant new wave from THE THE, my go to choice for accordion 80s music :D
phpBB [media]

whoa, this is great. amazing atmosphere

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Offline
Posts: 260
Joined: 4 Feb 2021
Location: Brazil
phpBB [media]

you guys know this band? from what i know they used to be a pretty big deal overseas

User avatar
Eagle Minded
Status: Online
Posts: 301
Joined: 12 Aug 2021
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
kakanara wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Sheer brilliant new wave from THE THE, my go to choice for accordion 80s music :D
phpBB [media]

whoa, this is great. amazing atmosphere


The album it’s on (soul mining) is full of similar sounds, definitely worth checking out.
This song in particular is one you could just put in a playlist at a random point and immediately whenever it comes on it’s kind of shakes you and grabs your attention!
Just gives me the chills every time I hear it. :)

Here’s one I’ve been listening to that is kind of similar in terms of atmosphere. The intro (0:01 - 1:20) is really captivating a drowsy sort of half-awake melancholic sound, Before busting out into this almost demonic energetic terror.
(Very atmospheric just less.....optimistic :wink:)

Kate bush - waking the witch
phpBB [media]
My hobbies include laughing in the dark.

User avatar
Posts Quantity
Status: Offline
Posts: 173
Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Location: Cyberia
@Orbited
Have you ever heard Wall of Voodoo's stuff? That song by The The kinda reminded me of something off their post-Ridgeway era albums.

Now playing: Faith - Nostrum (90s trance)
phpBB [media]
He who is not bold enough to be stared at from across the abyss is not bold enough to stare into it himself.
Image

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests