Stars of the Lid

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
Just heard the first couple seconds of "Don't Bother They're Here" in a trailer for the new Godzilla movie. I was a little too excited to come here and tell you guys about it.

New Seed
narghile wrote:Just heard the first couple seconds of "Don't Bother They're Here" in a trailer for the new Godzilla movie. I was a little too excited to come here and tell you guys about it.

That is incredible odd for that to appear in a trailer like that. Then again, I do remember reading about that a Transformers film had some early SOTL song called "The Better Angels of Our Nation".

Speaking of music in films:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZoJCusweN8

Does the first 18 seconds of this song sound strangely familiar to anyone? I had to read up about this somewhere to find this out...

Friendly Stranger
Adamord wrote:
narghile wrote:Just heard the first couple seconds of "Don't Bother They're Here" in a trailer for the new Godzilla movie. I was a little too excited to come here and tell you guys about it.

That is incredible odd for that to appear in a trailer like that. Then again, I do remember reading about that a Transformers film had some early SOTL song called "The Better Angels of Our Nation".

Does the first 18 seconds of this song sound strangely familiar to anyone? I had to read up about this somewhere to find this out...

It is very odd!

Oh wow. That's the atomium!! What did you find out about that?

New Seed
http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_viewupc.php?storenr=103&upc=79644180282

Scroll all the way down to the bottom, where it has all the trivia stuff.

This actually took me a while to find out, I tend to get a bit obsessed with things that I really like, for example SOTL. I love their music so much and the more I found out interesting little things like that, I just appreciate them more and more for their attention to detail and throwing in little things like that. Love it. Just everything about them. Damnit.

Dayvan Cowboy
Adamord wrote:

Sooooo cool!
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Friendly Stranger
Adamord wrote:http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_viewupc.php?storenr=103&upc=79644180282

This actually took me a while to find out, I tend to get a bit obsessed with things that I really like, for example SOTL. I love their music so much and the more I found out interesting little things like that, I just appreciate them more and more for their attention to detail and throwing in little things like that. Love it. Just everything about them. Damnit.

That's fascinating! Thanks for sharing :) I've always loved the sample from the Tarkovsky film. I think there is an interview with McBride or Wiltzie where the interviewer asks them if the sound of the dog whining is one of their dogs. They actually told the interviewer that it was. Must have wanted to mess with him :P

New Seed
narghile wrote:
Adamord wrote:http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_viewupc.php?storenr=103&upc=79644180282

That's fascinating! Thanks for sharing :) I've always loved the sample from the Tarkovsky film. I think there is an interview with McBride or Wiltzie where the interviewer asks them if the sound of the dog whining is one of their dogs. They actually told the interviewer that it was. Must have wanted to mess with him :P

No problem! I bookmark pretty much anything I find "lid" related on the internet, always something interesting out there...

I do remember reading that particular interview, also funny how they talk about how they met up for the first time. Some interesting stories from both Brian and Adam on that.

On a side note, has anyone listened to Kyle Bobby Dunn? Some of his works (and song titles) sound similar to SOTL. In the sense of that classical, droney, minimal stuff.

Friendly Stranger
Adamord wrote:
narghile wrote:

No problem! I bookmark pretty much anything I find "lid" related on the internet, always something interesting out there...

I do remember reading that particular interview, also funny how they talk about how they met up for the first time. Some interesting stories from both Brian and Adam on that.

On a side note, has anyone listened to Kyle Bobby Dunn? Some of his works (and song titles) sound similar to SOTL. In the sense of that classical, droney, minimal stuff.

i like some of kbd's discography, though especially the early stuff seems to lack direction. icy cold stuff. which is not always bad.

New Seed
http://programma.vpro.nl/dwars/sessies/Dwars-Sessie---Stars-of-the-Lid-.html

Found this recently. Its a live show of SOTL back in 2002. Which to me, is just amazing to be able to listen to a live recording of them when they didn't have string players play with them. And interesting to hear how they perform songs like Piano Aquieu live.

If anyone has old recordings of them live, please share!! :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Adamord wrote:http://programma.vpro.nl/dwars/sessies/Dwars-Sessie---Stars-of-the-Lid-.html

Found this recently. Its a live show of SOTL back in 2002. Which to me, is just amazing to be able to listen to a live recording of them when they didn't have string players play with them. And interesting to hear how they perform songs like Piano Aquieu live.

If anyone has old recordings of them live, please share!! :D

aaah...blissful. thank you! :)

Thanks for sharing this - an excellent find 8)

Dare say Mr Disavowed will appear like Gandalf in a sec and furnish us with the many live recordings he's hoovered up over the years. That guy is as close as we have to a SOTL Fredd-e in terms of chronicling all things 'lid'.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Hey there guys and girls,
Which album do you consider best/start with ? And the best place to order the vinyl?
cheers

Friendly Stranger
arvy wrote:Hey there guys and girls,
Which album do you consider best/start with ? And the best place to order the vinyl?
cheers

I started with The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid, I think it's a pretty good starting point. As for the vinyl, I can't answer that.

Happy Cycler
Tired Sounds or Refinement; their most accessible for sure. As for vinyl, you're currently going to need to be prepared to spend a lot of money, those two aforementioned albums cost me an embarrassing amount. Completely worth it though. The best place is Discogs or Ebay.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
narghile wrote:
cheers

I started with The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid, I think it's a pretty good starting point. As for the vinyl, I can't answer that.

Thank you, narghile !

fujee wrote:Tired Sounds or Refinement; their most accessible for sure. As for vinyl, you're currently going to need to be prepared to spend a lot of money, those two aforementioned albums cost me an embarrassing amount. Completely worth it though. The best place is Discogs or Ebay.

Thanks, yes just looked at their kranky site and those LP are all out of print,
cheers

New Seed
cheers

Like those above me have stated, The Tired Sounds Of is very good. There's really no wrong place to start, so any of them is fine! I remember listening to Dungtitled for the very first time...mmm memories.

And if you get the chance to see them live, DO IT!!! Also, do look up their live videos on youtube, their pretty awesome.

Dayvan Cowboy
Adamord wrote:
cheers

Like those above me have stated, The Tired Sounds Of is very good. There's really no wrong place to start, so any of them is fine! I remember listening to Dungtitled for the very first time...mmm memories.

And if you get the chance to see them live, DO IT!!! Also, do look up their live videos on youtube, their pretty awesome.

Thank you Adamord!

As for the vinyls, gonna order some Tim Hecker vinyls instead, there's a good price for that

cheers

Posts Quantity
There's an audience recording of the Chicago gig for Kranky's 20th Anniversary here that may interest some...

http://noisenotmusic.wordpress.com/tag/ ... f-the-lid/

Happy Cycler
Lovely, thanks man 8)
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
They have that subtle sense of humour that I like in serious musicians. You can see it in their track titles, which are incredibly poetic and occasionally bizarre.

The one I like the most is 'The Evil That Never Arrived', followed later on in that same album by 'Don't Bother They're here'. It's something that makes me chuckle even though it is actually quite pessimistic.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound