Stars of the Lid

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I have noticed one sample that makes two appearances in their discography at least. Both are in the 'Down' tracks.

It appears at 0:33/34 on Down I from Music for Nitrous Oxide.

And the again on Down II from Ballasted Orchestra at 0:39. (this one is very easy to miss, comes in on the right channel and very boclike in that you don't hear it until you HEAR it.)

They are not precisely the same but they clearly are from the same source.

Can anyone tell me where the hell this is from and if it is used anywhere else?

It is buggy me, I'm getting the itch!

Posts Quantity
Aerial Boundaries wrote:The one I like the most is 'The Evil That Never Arrived', followed later on in that same album by 'Don't Bother They're here'.

I never made that connection! I always assumed it was a play on 'Send in the Clowns', seeing as they sort of share a melody.

Posts Quantity
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I have noticed one sample that makes two appearances in their discography at least. Both are in the 'Down' tracks.

And the again on Down II from Ballasted Orchestra at 0:39. (this one is very easy to miss, comes in on the right channel and very boclike in that you don't hear it until you HEAR it.)

Well it's several samples as far as I can tell. First part "This is up. Up is no." from the 'Music For Nitrous Oxide' version seems to be ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auHXg1H0bAQ

Dayvan Cowboy
Logan71 wrote:
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I have noticed one sample that makes two appearances in their discography at least. Both are in the 'Down' tracks.

Well it's several samples as far as I can tell. First part "This is up. Up is no." from the 'Music For Nitrous Oxide' version seems to be ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auHXg1H0bAQ

Ah! In that case, I think the sample in Down II is also from Star Trek. The door opening sound or something? IDK I never really watched Star Trek much. Cheers.

Spirit Fingers wrote:
Aerial Boundaries wrote:The one I like the most is 'The Evil That Never Arrived', followed later on in that same album by 'Don't Bother They're here'.

I never made that connection! I always assumed it was a play on 'Send in the Clowns', seeing as they sort of share a melody.

Haha, I definitely get where you're coming from with that. The melody and piano are uncanny actually. Perhaps it has a dual meaning, I can't shake off the idea that it also refers back to the earlier track that I mentioned. They have a great sense of humour.

New Seed
http://reviews.headphonecommute.com/2011/01/31/sound-postcard-brian-mcbride-the-dick-fudge-tapes-95/

This a small clip of Brian McBride's radio show 'The Dick Fudge Show'. I always liked Down I, II, and III. Listening to that short clip makes sense of those tracks now, I love the little sounds he puts together. I also remember reading somewhere that Adam stated that he played guitar for their first two albums, while Brian played tape loops. Brian would join him on guitar for The Ballasted Orchestra. Its interesting to try and hear the difference between Adam's guitar and Brian's tapes. It's just those little details that make their music so great.

Dayvan Cowboy
http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/217757925

There's a copy of their refinement up for grabs.

If I had the money...

They're playing some festival in Austria too I noticed today. Lucky old Austria!

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:They're playing some festival in Austria too I noticed today. Lucky old Austria!

*wishful sigh*

Happy Cycler
Aerial Boundaries wrote:http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/217757925

There's a copy of their refinement up for grabs.

If I had the money...

I got my copy sent over from Canada, the recorded air mail cost nearly as much as the record. Madness.

Anyone got any info about what is going on with the new album? Almost nothing since they posted that studio picture in Iceland. Seems like they've kinda put it on the back burner whilst AWVFTS is doing its thing.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

All quiet to the best of my knowledge but the last I heard they're still a going concern. That they're playing live is encouraging. Winged Victory has been bigger than Wiltzie intended I suspect?

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Think you're right on that one yeah.

Oh and Fujee, tell me about it. Dying inside just thinking about how much I've paid for shipping from the US

Happy Cycler
Reckon so, seems Erased Tapes has hit upon a niche and I reckon they are making the most of it. Arguably, Winged Victory are more successful than SOTL now, right?
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

I think it will be interesting to see the reaction to the next Lid release. I suspect it'll be pivotal for them. They probably know this and this could be lending to the glacial pace.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I was writing an email to an old teacher and good friend of mine, who is also a music lover, concerning SOTL. I've recently gotten her into them so I was sending her a few tracks from the different releases to show her how they've developed over time.

I thought I might post this bit here:

"And then we have 'Their Refinement of the Decline', which took on an even more distinctive sound. I think the name itself was very tongue in cheek, but it also encompasses what they have been doing for years. Taking musical moments and stretching them out into an ocean of sound.

The word 'oceanic' is frequently heard when describing ambient music, and it is a curious listening experience because the term implies something massive with an indefinite end, but that isn't true. The album always ends. I think that is what the title is getting at in a way, the music will inevitably end, and all they have done is to take the final moments of something and expanded it, refined it. It is amusing to think that perhaps they were thinking about the last few seconds of a pop record."

I wasn't serious about the last sentence of course :)

Posts Quantity
There are rare threads that when bumped cause my heart to skip a beat.

This. This is one of those threads. :|

Dayvan Cowboy
Logan71 wrote:There are rare threads that when bumped cause my heart to skip a beat.

This. This is one of those threads. :|

Ha, me too....their's is the album I've been looking forward to for the past few years.

Happy Cycler
http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic ... een-press/

Found this, has some potentially first hand (if the email claims are legit) info on the new album and Kranky priorities etc. Also seems Kranky pressed some green editions of Refinement and sent them out randomly to people who ordered a copy way back in 2007. So in theory, there are some ultra rare versions of this already reasonably rare album. Anyone got a copy round here? Mine is black, though I am not too worried about that as coloured vinyl is hit and miss anyway..

Nah, mine's the 'common or garden' black variety.
Sounds lush though :wink:

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Not that it's news really, but I emailed kranky asking about future represses and they said 'some day...'

They'll wait foe the new album I they've any sense. Can see the next one riding the success of Winged Victory etc.

Slow down...

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound