Stars of the Lid

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
For good reason man.

I also hold that opinion until I hear something ambient/drone that beats it.

Though I will say it is more drone with classical instrumentation than ambient.

Happy Cycler
Recently checked out the represses in my local store, Refinement was identical to the original version, but Tired Sounds was given a different sleeve to the original, so I ended up getting just this album instead of both. No word on the sound quality yet.. haven't been near a TT in a while, but eager to hear any difference...

Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Oh great! I love that version of the cover :}

EDIT: just checked with Flashback in London and they've got nothing in by SOTL atm. Might be tricky to find an importer here.

Happy Cycler
I can grab you a copy from Resident in Brighton if you want? Bit pricey, 30 odd quid, but it's the only place apart from Norman Records which has them in (I even think Norman have struggled to get them). Let me know, they had about 10 copies of each album when I last looked.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't get paid till the end of the month man (and even then I need to pay back Jonse). Thanks anyway though.

Dayvan Cowboy
People Records in Guildford got a handful of each in. I hadn't realised that the Tired Sounds sleeve was different. Refinement sounds gorgeous. :)

For all you Lid fans yet to have the joy of catching them live, this could be your next best opportunity...

https://boilerroom.tv/session/stars-of-the-lid/

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Cool. Bookmarked.

Posts Quantity
where should I get started with this band? I dont really know anything about them

Firstly, welcome. I'm quite envious of you in a way, you've a treat in store.

Short answer is you literally can't go wrong, their entire canon of work is sublime. Earlier stuff is more raw and guitar based. Later work is more orchestral, but its all wonderful.

Personally, I always think Avec Laudanum is a good start as its only 45 mins long and easily digestible. Tired Sounds is their most famous work and rightly acclaimed. But in truth, perhaps watch the live show and you'll get a good idea of what they're about.

Again, welcome.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Welcome Dandegyrecorder. I have some slightly different advice which by no means invalidates Mexi's (I have him to thank for introducing me after all ;) ):

If you prefer to get a good background of a band and a sense of progression from early rougher work to later polished work, just go chronologically. "Music for Nitrous Oxide" is a great release and so suitably weird and dark, then you can go from there as more and more they bring the 'light' in as it were, giving their music more breathing space, less to no lofi fuzz, wider instrumentation and more I guess you'd say sublime/divine aesthetics and moods. I'd also suggest reading some interviews with them if you're like me and enjoy that kind of background.

If you prefer to immediately dive in on the deep end and experience their best work, listen to "The Tired Sounds of" and then jump to "And their Refinement of the Decline." Those albums are generally considered masterpieces of the ambient world (or indeed the world of music!) Then just work your way around their discography afterwards. If you preferred Tired Sounds go earlier straight away, particularly with "Avec Laudenum" or "The Ballasted Orchestra"; if you preferred Refinement look at their modern live show stuff (I highly recommend E7 for instance and am hoping it makes the next release) or indeed "A Winged Victory for the Sullen" too as I see that project of one of the members (Adam Wiltzie) to be a sibling of Refinement's sound.

Finally as I don't know whether you are an ambient/drone listener: Give this music your concentration and it will reward you with manifold details and mental images. Or if you find it boring/too slow, no problem. Keep it on, and let it sink in while you do something else. It will click eventually, without you forcing it to. Or it won't, and you'll know it's not for you :]

Have fun!

Posts Quantity
Thanks Mexicola / Aerial. I listen to lots of ambient and drone (its what most of my music is actually) but ive never really delved into the origins of it.I will definitely check this out.

Posts Quantity
Aerial lol. You wrote an essay about SOTL. You like them much more than you let on earlier...
"I'm not moaning! I'm humming a very low-pitched song."

Reminder: Lid live on the tinterwebnet tonight. See above.

Slow down...

New Seed
Managed to catch the stream. The Lid were great as usual.

It was very reminiscent of their previous concert with the wordless music orchestra from December 2013. I can't wait to see the setlist as there were two or three numbers to open that I didn't recognize off the bat-hopefully meaning they are new tracks. I thought they were quite good. The opus pieces Requiem and December Hunting were awesome, particularly the latter.

Disappointed they didn't play the sublime E7.

Hopefully Boiler Room will have it up soon for on demand streaming. Can't wait to listen to it again.

Lastly, I received my The Tired Sounds Of repress this week. I've played 4 of the 6 sides and it was dead quiet. Great job by kranky.

New Seed
Had another listen I think the setlist is something like this:

1)Generous Abandon
2)Unknown - great string coda
3)Requiem For Dying Mothers Suite
4)December Hunting
5)Mulholland

Nice! Glad they played Mulholland too, the first song I ever heard them play live.

Couldn't sit up until silly o'clock so hoping they're streaming re-runs.

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Yep, the video is 're-looping' all week.

Also in the accompanying interview Adam reveals SoTL are playing The Barbican, London on Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd October 2016.

Only a year to wait!

https://boilerroom.tv/session/stars-of-the-lid/

Awesome news! Suspected they'd play The Barbican after I saw Nils Frahm sell it out last October. Nice to have it confirmed.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
We have to get tickets for that, I love concerts at the Barbican!

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound