Stars of the Lid

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
I really like them, but I know that the music hasn't quite 'hit' me yet.. every now and then I put them on, and listen, and I just know that it's building inside for me. I can see them becoming favorites of mine over many listens. It's sublime stuff.

I think it's also because the music spaces me out a bit, and right now I'm very careful about letting music affect my mood - last week I heard a beautiful/sad song about a breakup and it send me into a 2-day spin of loneliness!

Posts Quantity
bleak. wrote:
this is very much like the track 'even if you're never awake' for myself...the most beautiful song i've heard to date.

Even ... is the one for me too, the moment when the woodwind comes in just takes the breath away.

Sherbet Head
Yes.. 'Even if you're never awake'.. also a favorite of mine.

Been playing some more SOTL. I highly, highly recommend the live bootleg

Stars of the Lid Live at Holy Trinity Church, Leeds (26.05.2008)

It's so, so beautiful. An excellent quality recording. This band are growing on me, slowly but very surely.

Posts Quantity
I have to give props to this thread and everyone posting in it, I'd heard about the band but hadn't bothered checking them out. This thread is what made me get hold of some of their stuff, and I'm so bloody glad I did. Stunningly beautiful music, unlike anything I've really heard before to be honest. Judging by the trailer for their feature film, we should be in for a treat.

lawrenke wrote:Judging by the trailer for their feature film, we should be in for a treat.

Spot on.

Still no release exact date for the movie, although I note that until recently their MySpace showed something happening in "Toiletville, Belgium" on New Year's Eve. An advance screening in Adam Wiltzie's adopted home perhaps?

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Mexicola wrote:
lawrenke wrote:Judging by the trailer for their feature film, we should be in for a treat.

Spot on.

Still no release exact date for the movie, although I note that until recently their MySpace showed something happening in "Toiletville, Belgium" on New Year's Eve. An advance screening in Adam Wiltzie's adopted home perhaps?

Ooh, possibly!

Friendly Stranger
They are my favourite musicians. Their music is so complex and deep it is truly astounding.
Absolute Genius, that is all I can say.

Sherbet Head
s7409651 wrote:Yes.. 'Even if you're never awake'.. also a favorite of mine.

Been playing some more SOTL. I highly, highly recommend the live bootleg

Stars of the Lid Live at Holy Trinity Church, Leeds (26.05.2008)

It's so, so beautiful. An excellent quality recording. This band are growing on me, slowly but very surely.

I NEED THIS! Please hook me up! PLEEEEASE!

Sherbet Head
Please check out Jonsi and Alex album Riceboy Sleeps!

Its up there with Stars of The Lids best material if not better...

and SOTL is easily in my top 5 bands of all time.

Friendly Stranger
I will check that out, cheers Archrival.

Check out this vid I made if you care to,

'Stars Of The Lid - Even If You're Never Awake (Deuxième)' : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Sis0ty3R0

¬

Sherbet Head
Archrival wrote:Please check out Jonsi and Alex album Riceboy Sleeps!

Its up there with Stars of The Lids best material if not better...

and SOTL is easily in my top 5 bands of all time.

The bootleg is really really easy to find on torrent or blog or even rapidshare type sites, and JONSI & ALEX are amaaaazing ;)

Dayvan Cowboy

So I asked Kranky about the movie and have been told:

"no updates re; this. we are looking forward to it whenever if is completed tho."

So even they don't know! :cry:

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:So I asked Kranky about the movie and have been told:

"no updates re; this. we are looking forward to it whenever if is completed tho."

So even they don't know! :cry:

Ha, dug up this thread for this very purpose. I always get attached to bands that value low to non-existent flows of information.

Rest assured, I will be watching for this one!

Happy Cycler
Well this is sad.

I hopped on by Stars of the Lid's FB today and found this response by Stars of the Lid to a fan:

Garrett Miles Smith: "Well.. you guys showed the film in Belgium last night, so when's it going to be released for sale?"

Stars of the Lid: "no film was showed last night. don't hold your breath for this year either.
slow is a pattern that keeps unfolding."

:(

thedisavowed wrote:Well this is sad.

I hopped on by Stars of the Lid's FB today and found this response by Stars of the Lid to a fan:

Garrett Miles Smith: "Well.. you guys showed the film in Belgium last night, so when's it going to be released for sale?"

Stars of the Lid: "no film was showed last night. don't hold your breath for this year either.
slow is a pattern that keeps unfolding."

:(

Darn it. I hope this sees the light of day at some point - the trailer is still something I got a watch every now and again so Lord knows what I'd be like if the full movie came out. :roll:

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Mexicola, have you heard of 'Hammock'? Interesting, one of their album covers was designed by Jonsi & Alex, and this track, 'Elm' reminds me of Stars of The Lid. Thought you may enjoy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7AQ438_68

s7409651 wrote:Mexicola, have you heard of 'Hammock'? Interesting, one of their album covers was designed by Jonsi & Alex, and this track, 'Elm' reminds me of Stars of The Lid. Thought you may enjoy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7AQ438_68

Cheers! Hammock are lovely, I like them very much.
I have a couple of albums/EP's by them - recommended. :D

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
STARS OF THE LID SPLIT FOLLOWING COWBELL DISAGREEMENT!!!
Heheh... http://spinalbap.blogspot.com/2010/06/s ... wbell.html
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Sherbet Head
Oh nice, a thread about this wonderful duo. I think I'm going to write one of those longish posts that summarises my view about something. I always like writing these, because now I really need to put my thoughts in order. It helps even myself to understand better what I think about a subject.

I first listened to this band maybe about a year and a half ago, some time late-spring 2010 or something. I'm not gonna go through the history of my music taste, but it was around that time when I was really starting to acquire a wider and more "sophisticated" taste. I kept hearing a lot about the album "Refiniment Of The Decline". Mind you I had no idea what this band was, the album was just hyped all around me. I decided to listen to it, and admittedly, I didn't care for it, not one bit. I actually just based on that one listen that I probably didn't even finish labeled the band 'shit' (yeah, I'm one of THOSE people...), but more of that album later.

It wasn't until early this year until I just for some reason felt an urge to familiarise myself with this artist more. I decided to listen to their previous album, "Tired Sounds Of Star Of The Lid". Now this I quite liked. It was a lot more diverse and enchanting than Refinement. And I felt it had MEANING, which I still don't get from Refinement.

Still, I didn't exactly love them yet, but the 'shit' label had vanished quite quickly. I fell in love with them I think march this year. I was going to be alone at home for a few days. It was vacation time and everyone except me was out of the house. One evening, I decided I was going to listen to the rest of their albums. It was already past midnight when I put all of their first three albums plus "Tired Sounds..." in my mp3 player and plugged it into my amp and big speakers. When Adamord started, I already knew that this was going to be a wonderful experience.

I was just lying on my bed while being absorbed into these wonderful soundscapes. I was really hazy and was kinda in the twilight of being awake and asleep. I'd call it one of the most psychedelic experiences I have had that doesn't involve any substances. The point where the brilliance of their music just hit me, was at "Austin Texas Mental Hospital". Especially part 2 with the ever droning chord still resonates deeply within me.

So, that's the story of how I got into them. I guess I could now say something about the albums themselves. Personally the closest to my heart are the three first albums and "Tired Sounds...". I consider the first three a trilogy, and almost always listen to all three of them in a row. Personal favorite amonst them I think is the first one, "Music For Nitrous Oxide". I don't know why, but that's the one I jsut get immersed into the most. "Ballasted Orchestra" comes as a close second, and as I hinted I also really love "Gravitational Pull Vs. The Desire For Aquatic Life". My only problem with that one is that it's a bit too monotonic, especially couple of the last tracks kinda blend into one another a bit too much.

But, the favorite still remains "The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid". It's their most complete work, and absolitely beautiful. I can't really say anything positive or negative about it. It probably would be one of the hardest albums for me to review, if I ever were to review it. If you have heard the album and love it, you probably understand somewhat what I mean.

But what about "Stars Of The Lid And Their Refinement Of The Decline"? I must say, it still remains my least favorite albums from them. The biggest problem I have with it is that it's....BORING. Shocking, isn't it? A two hour album consisting mainly of long drones is boring? Well, I should explain what I mean with boring. What I mean is that it's not interesting. Nearly every song there sounds almost exactly the same. It's just major chords everywhere, with the same harmonies. There is little to no diversity here. It's like listening to the same track 20 times, I get nothing out of it. Not a bad album, but It's the only album from them that I don't enjoy. But I have something good to say about this album, and that is, it has some of their best song titles on it! I especially dig the name "December Hunting For Vegetarian Fuckface". How cool is that name?!

Phew, there we go, finally. Yet another rediculously long post written. At least I hate now my thoughts summed up in a text, so that I can always come here and copy/paste it if I need to say something about them! Sorry for the typos and such, I know there some but I can't be bothered right now, it's like 4 AM as I'm writing this. I started the album "Music For Nitrous Oxide" simultaneously , the 5th track "Lagging" just started.

End Of Transmission.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound