Stars of the Lid

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Great band, I only have avec laudenum though. Will probably listen to more.

Xtal wrote:Great band, I only have avec laudenum though. Will probably listen to more.

You really, really should. :wink:

Lovely reivew there for noby too, even if I heartily disagree with their views on '...Refinement..'. Maybe having seen them play alot of it live it just works better for me. But honestly, every evenings listening should always end with 'December Hunting for Vegetarian Fuckface' played ultra-loud.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
'...refinement..' in my mind is their best piece of work...its one of those albums that's able to take me to this strangely familiar place time and time again. i swear 'even if you're never awake' was written as a soundtrack to my life...tremendously beautiful, but uncertain...a battle between the positives and negatives where the interpretation decides the winner. the thing is, even though they are my favourite artist, i'll only put them on on very particular occasions...i suppose its being in the right frame of mind. anyways...ignore my rambling if you wish. and i shall just leave this here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jjO5M4wwxo

Dayvan Cowboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfK0dAqthAE
my favourite stars of the lid tune hands down
refinement is probably my favourite album of theirs and very possibly in my top 20 albums of all time
if you are reading this you are spending too much time at your computer. go outside and get some fresh air.

Eagle Minded
Stars of the fucking Lid. I'm just discovering them, any fan here, what should I go for after Refinement? Thanks in advance.

Sherbet Head
pointlessdude wrote:Stars of the fucking Lid. I'm just discovering them, any fan here, what should I go for after Refinement? Thanks in advance.

Go to the beginning and listen to the three first albums.

pointlessdude wrote:Stars of the fucking Lid. I'm just discovering them, any fan here, what should I go for after Refinement? Thanks in advance.

You literally can't go wrong. Pick one at random. Honestly.

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Big fan of this band but as of yet only have the Refinement of the Decline (the vinyl edition of this is wonderful).

This thread has kicked me in the gonads to get more!!

The perfect band to support Boards of Canada on the imaginary tour.

Sherbet Head
Oh and I bought the recent vinyl re-issue of Avec Laudenum, sounds absolutely wonderful.

Dayvan Cowboy
just a nod to those who are unaware. A Winged Victory For The Sullen is Adam Wiltzie of stars of the lid and composer Dustin O’Halloran. they have a release coming out next month, and the following track is one taken from it.

http://soundcloud.com/erasedtapes/a-win ... ry-for-the

Posts Quantity
bleak. wrote:just a nod to those who are unaware. A Winged Victory For The Sullen is Adam Wiltzie of stars of the lid and composer Dustin O’Halloran. they have a release coming out next month, and the following track is one taken from it.

http://soundcloud.com/erasedtapes/a-win ... ry-for-the

Yeah I pre-ordered this the second it went up. So excited. The tracks they've put up are incredible. I love SOTL - Probably one of my favorite artists ever (definitely rivals BoC). Every release is just so different and unbelievable. I recently came up with a way to describe how their music evolves over their albums - to me it as though they have captured the evolution of consciousness on planet earth within music. You have the murky primordial stages in their first releases, and then there is a distinct progression into something very human (refinement). Just a thought.

I started class the other day and when I walked into one of my classes the teacher wanted someone to name an artist so she could play some music from Pandora. No one said anything for like 30 seconds so I said Stars of the lid. "Daughters of Quiet Minds" came on.. I was happy and everyone else looked at me weird for the rest of the class period. Fun times.

....the sigh of disappointment as people open this thread and realise it's just a link to an interview with Brian McBride from last December.

BUT! It does contain two things of interest.

1) he's working on the next Lid LP (and reminds us of the importance of patience - hear that BOC fans?)

2) gives a little more background on the looooooooooong awaited SOTL lid movie (can it really be 3 years since that was first previewed?!?)

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
"Refinement" has been one of my favorite records since it came out. I bought it on the triple vinyl on a whim from hearing their name mentioned on this forum somewhere and I was sorta familiar with Kranky. I literally would listen to it every night those months after I bought it and I couldn't get enough. And I was immediately showing all my friends and saying they had to listen to it. It's sorta outta my rotation recently but it'll always be a personal favorite. I guess it just hit me like nothing else before.

Anyways, sorry for the diatribe. I'm very excited to hear a new 'grandiose' SOTL album is in the works, thanks Mexicola!

Happy Cycler
Though I'd welcome a new Lid record with open arms, I don't quite long for new Lid music in the same way I do BoC - and I think that's partly because I have a terrible track record for staying awake during Lid albums. I can't say with certainty I've heard all of Refinement or Tired Sounds - there's some passages I'm more familiar with than others - but on the whole I find new stuff on the Lid records I already own all the time.

Plus, if Stars isn't doing something, there's always the solo projects (and of course the FANTASTIC "Winged Victory for the Sullen".

I'm content. They can take all the time they need.

Happy Cycler
Forgive me if this sounds stupid or elementary, but if any Lid fans here within the sound of this thread haven't given Brian Eno's ambient work a solid listen - you've got that to keep you busy too. He has a pretty diverse catalog, but I've bought like all of it over the past few years and I'm down for recs if you need 'em.

Dayvan Cowboy
STARS OF THE LID RULE

According to their Facebook page tonight, The Ballasted Orchestra is to be remastered by Kranky. This is fantastic news for all SOTL fans. 8)

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Guess it's a good thing I missed that last Ballasted auction! Does anyone have any context for that DJ Tiesto pic?

Sherbet Head
8)
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Posts Quantity
Oh my god YES. Thank god I didn't pay 100+ dollars off discogs. I was close... definitely one of my favorite releases of all time. This is awesome news.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound