Stars of the Lid

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the AWVFTS thread but nevermind because...

New 'Travel in Constants' Ep from Adam Wiltzie!!

https://adambryanbaumwiltzie.bandcamp.com/releases

On the Temporary Residence facebook page it says:

"We met Adam nearly 20 years ago, as a member of Austin minimalist rock band, Windsor For The Derby. They slept on the dingy carpeted floors of the 4-story walk-up apartment in Baltimore where Temporary Residence was founded. Two decades later, TRL has removed all carpet from its daily existence, and Adam has become a seminal ambient and neoclassical composer, and founding member of Stars of the Lid and A Winged Victory For The Sullen. It felt only fitting that we ask him to help us conclude this series that began not long after we first met. This suite of songs originated from a series of sessions in Budapest with a large orchestra. They are outtakes from the forthcoming Stars of the Lid opus, which is still in-progress. If these are the outtakes, we can’t hazard a guess at how stunning the SOTL album is going to be."

But that can't be right, can it?

Anyway, enjoy!

Heard the same a few days ago. Either way, it's another Wiltzie collaboration and I've yet to hear a poor one. Excited!

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Yay!

Boqurant
The Endless Battle... sounds like Atomos I

Happy Cycler
Sounds bloody great, can't even imagine how good new SOTL will be if these are outtakes.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Posts Quantity
A couple of videos from the recent Toronto show have appeared, sound isn't great but the new visuals look amazing.

December Hunting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DglJpOzRwI

Requiem for Dying Mothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndWblDrZ82o

Would so love a good recording of this show.

New Seed
I grabbed the ABW ep over the weekend. It is so lovely, and hopefully a preview of what is to come from the next SOTL opus. The first track was like an earworm that I knew I had heard before. Turns out it was played in December 2013 at the Brooklyn SOTL show with the Wordless Music Orchestra. What an epic show and if you haven't listened to it yet, you can grab it http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/stars-lid-and-wordless-music-orchestra/. The set list called this new track "DEG FAG" but obviously that has changed to "The Endless Battle of the Maudlin Ballade Part 1".

I really think based on this EP and tracks like E7, which might be the best thing they have ever done IMO, this next SOTL album is going to be fantastic.

Also, a new article was posted on musicohm interviewing Bryan Wiltzie and breaking down the EP track by track:

http://www.musicomh.com/news/album-streams/track-track-adam-bryanbaum-wiltzie-travels-constants-vol-24

Dayvan Cowboy
Yes, E7 is just amazing. I will be very surprised if it doesn't make it's way to release.

Kranky just announced shows in LA and NYC in September.

Don't miss out Stateside Lid fans!

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
The beast is slowly gearing up...
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Posts Quantity
Mexicola wrote:Kranky just announced shows in LA and NYC in September.

Don't miss out Stateside Lid fans!

Happy Cycler
Props to Ian for pointing this out to me, if anyone wants the SOTL represses from a UK retailer, and thus missing the risk of import fee, then head over to Norman Records, where they are going for 35 pounds each. Jobs a goodun :)

Looks like UK will get Lid shows in 2016. Just read some of the replies on FB in response to Adam Wiltzie announcing the LA and NYC shows. When someone asked for UK shows, the official reply was '2016'.

You heard it here first. Start saving!

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:Looks like UK will get Lid shows in 2016. Just read some of the replies on FB in response to Adam Wiltzie announcing the LA and NYC shows. When someone asked for UK shows, the official reply was '2016'.

You heard it here first. Start saving!

Fantastic. I was hoping it wouldn't be this year, I've got time to save up now.

I'll see all you heavy lids there ;)

Posts Quantity

Dayvan Cowboy
"McBride: I mean, really, when you think of it, all this time that a record hasn't been released — that was us releasing a record, but it was the most minimal record we've ever released and nobody knew it was a record."

Bahahaha

Excellent read, thanks for sharing.

Does kind of pour cold water on a new album though. Sort of anyway :-(

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Mexicola wrote:Does kind of pour cold water on a new album though. Sort of anyway :-(

Yeah, I was hoping for new album to go with tour dates in 2016. I guess it's the usual "It'll be ready when it's ready..."

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:Excellent read, thanks for sharing.

Does kind of pour cold water on a new album though. Sort of anyway :-(

Nah, that is just their work process. I doubt they've actually set out to "make an album" in a long long time. They seem to just be prolific enough to have it all come together eventually.

But yeah, probably not for another year or two.

Why did you introduce me to yet another 'patience is a virtue' band mex?!

Dayvan Cowboy
It's good to hear something from them anyway. Their vagueness and evasiveness over the new album seemed a bit too deliberate for me - I had hoped for this year, but I'm still hopeful for next.
I liked the premise of the article/interview, though - the reason I first heard of them was because they suddenly started appearing in every 'best ambient album, ever' - type lists around 'And their Refinement of the Decline'. So I guess plenty of other people did the same.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound